ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   bloody gatso's (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/928608-bloody-gatsos.html)

marcevs72 13 March 2012 10:56 AM

bloody gatso's

just pulled away from a junction and there's a fixed gatso camera 100 metres up the road on the opposite side.the section goes from 30mph to 50mph in a matter of 20metres.the camera flashed me once as i was going past it.i thought that gatso's cane get you if they are facing you only the truvillo(think thats how its spelt :wonder:)cameras can get on coming vehicles as they use infrared to get your position.also arent gatso's getting oncoming vehicles illegal as the flash can blind drivers for a split second?
any traffic plods on here able to clarify this for me please.:eek:

SamUK 13 March 2012 11:03 AM

i think the camera may just be out of line...pics have to be taken from the rear..

s13silvia 13 March 2012 11:05 AM

Don't think so mate, we have a couple of forward-facing gatso's in Scotland. It's a d*ck your heart goes in your mouth the split second you see the lines on the road and crank the brakes on (even if you're doing 60 lol, automatic reaction).. it's dangerous for other road users. I hate to admit it but the specs are remarkably effective in slowing traffic. If they had those everywhere there would be a huge cut in accidents and speeding, it would be crap to start with but I think peeps would get used to it after a few months. The government wouldnt do it though as it wouldnt generate half the revenue their specs/random-road checks do.

Ah - I've done a bit of reading and it would seem that though they are designed and do work forward-facing, you can't be prosecuted from a forward-facing classic gatso snap.

marcevs72 13 March 2012 11:06 AM

just done some checking and seems if its a gatso it can only take pics from the rear as the camera flash would blind drivers.the place where it's to is a crap bit of road that goes from 50mph to 30mph in 20 metres and is near a driving test centre so there really to make money.

SamUK 13 March 2012 11:07 AM

forward facing are fine, but they never flash you in the face, also forward facing are always on your side of the road, i have never seen these on the opposite side..

marcevs72 13 March 2012 11:09 AM

this was on opposite side of the road facing me and flash went off in my face.

jono300 13 March 2012 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by s13silvia (Post 10531676)
Don't think so mate, we have a couple of forward-facing gatso's in Scotland. It's a d*ck your heart goes in your mouth the split second you see the lines on the road and crank the brakes on (even if you're doing 60 lol, automatic reaction).. it's dangerous for other road users. I hate to admit it but the specs are remarkably effective in slowing traffic. If they had those everywhere there would be a huge cut in accidents and speeding, it would be crap to start with but I think peeps would get used to it after a few months. The government wouldnt do it though as it wouldnt generate half the revenue their specs/random-road checks do.

Ah - I've done a bit of reading and it would seem that though they are designed and do work forward-facing, you can't be prosecuted from a forward-facing classic gatso snap.

Interesting regards your comments re. specs cameras in scotland, still intrigued why whenever I travel up and down the A90 to / from the forth road bridge it seems to be only other car drivers who stick ridgly to the temp 40mph limits, most HGV vehicles I see travel way above 40 which makes me wonder if they know something I dont ??!!

local papers advise 600 + motorist caught already by these very cameras but again its seems to be mostly cars that are sticking to the limit where as the HGV`s are happy to trundle up and down at well over 40mph ??!!

scoobeenut 13 March 2012 12:03 PM

No problem if the camera was on the other side of the road it will not get you, the flash may go off but its only purpose is to catch people over a measured distance in front of it on that side.

Truvelo cameras are always forward facing to the oncoming traffic and on your side of the road, these do not flash. HTH.

tony de wonderful 13 March 2012 01:22 PM

Is it true that if you are lane changing you cannot be caught speeding on a Gatso type camera?

CrisPDuk 13 March 2012 01:40 PM

Gatsos can only get you from behind, they aren't calibrated for approaching traffic. But they can get you on either side of the road - hence the markers on both sides ahead of many of them.

I assume that if they catch you wrong side, you'll be done for more than speeding :wonder:

The average speed cameras used on motorways, used to be avoidable by changing lanes between gantries, but that was resolved in the software a good while ago :(

There is a newish development of the Gatso, they look like traffic light cameras, and are usually sited like them, but they actually cover both red lights and speeding, ask me how I know about that one :(

speedking 13 March 2012 02:09 PM

Truvelos do take face-on pictures of speeding vehicles, but IME they are often sited on the opposite side of the road.

One on the A422 out of Banbury, and another on the A446 near the Belfry spring to mind.

Terminator X 13 March 2012 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by marcevs72 (Post 10531680)
this was on opposite side of the road facing me and flash went off in my face.

Does happen as it got this yesterday ... wouldn't worry though as (stated above) Gatso's can't nab you driving towards them.

TX.