ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Gear Box oil (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/927553-gear-box-oil.html)

t2dex 04 March 2012 06:31 PM

Gear Box oil

Hi Guys
really new to scoobyNet, come from a Evo 6 400BHP car, but loving the 2003 Blob eye with a few track tricks added.

I want to change to gear box oil to redline shock proof but need to know how much I need in liters

Also whats the best oil to put in the diff, When I get to 65MPH and only then I hear a humming noise, if I lift off or on the throttle it goes away, On the Evo this was the Diff, Any help would be great guys.

Like I said, I am new to the Scooby but love it and would love some help

Dex:hjtwofing

JohnD 04 March 2012 10:02 PM

Is it a WRX or an STi? ie 5 or 6 speed box?

JohnD

t2dex 05 March 2012 08:05 AM

hi johnd thanks for looking, its a 2003 sti with a 6 speed box running a 333bhp upgrade.

Suberman 05 March 2012 03:15 PM

Hi Dex, i've not tried Redline Shock Proof so can't comment on it, but i'm a very happy Motul Gear 300 user, and i'm sure many others here will feel the same way.

For your 03 sti (assuming it's a type uk) would require over 3 litres for the gearbox and about 1 for the rear diff. There should be a dipstick, fill up to the full mark for the gearbox. There are 2 bolts for the rear diff, the lower one is the drain plug, higher one, the fill hole. Fill that one to the edge of the hole. Should be about 1 quart or so.

53 05 March 2012 03:57 PM

Redline Lightweight Shockproof is awesome for the box :thumb: they sell in Quarts, you need 4 :)

petethemeat 05 March 2012 04:07 PM

3.5 litres for the gearbox and 0.8 litres for the rear diff. However i managed fine with 4 litres for both

t2dex 06 March 2012 07:53 AM

thanks guys great helps. Shockproof it is, will order 4 liters asap from oilman, once again thanks for the help guys

JohnD 06 March 2012 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by petethemeat (Post 10519434)
3.5 litres for the gearbox and 0.8 litres for the rear diff. However i managed fine with 4 litres for both

Not with the 6-speed you won't!
The 6-peed box takes 4.1 litres so you'll need 5 litres to do both box and rear diff.
Don't forget the 6-speed box has two drain plugs, the main one is at the bottom of the diff. and the other is in a small sump under the gearbox, covered by a plastic undertray which you'll need to remove. If you forget this one you'll only drain off around 3 litres using the main drain plug.

JohnD

t2dex 06 March 2012 10:28 AM

oil help

johnd

you da man

thanks for the info, Wish my airbag problems were this easy

once again thanks all

Dex:luxhello:

petethemeat 06 March 2012 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by JohnD (Post 10520421)
Not with the 6-speed you won't!
The 6-peed box takes 4.1 litres so you'll need 5 litres to do both box and rear diff.
Don't forget the 6-speed box has two drain plugs, the main one is at the bottom of the diff. and the other is in a small sump under the gearbox, covered by a plastic undertray which you'll need to remove. If you forget this one you'll only drain off around 3 litres using the main drain plug.

JohnD

Oops - thanks for the info