ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Spec C Type 20 (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/927145-spec-c-type-20-a.html)

MadUsa1 01 March 2012 12:57 PM

Spec C Type 20

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up my new car over the weekend, a 2006 Spec C Type 20, previously owned by Dave.T

The car is in all around astonishing condition - it wouldn't look out of place in a new car showroon.

The Spec C is replacing my 2.5L STI of the same year and I can honestly say the two cars have very little in common.

We are often tempted to think of the Spec C as a slightly improved version of the European spec STI. This is incorrect. It would be far more accurate to think of the Spec C as a completely different car that just happens to look similar to the European STI.

Throttle response is vastly superior in the Spec C and despite all the discussion about the low down grunt of the 2.5, it's the twin scroll 2.0 that feels more eager and alert from low revs. There's certainly MUCH less turbo lag in the JDM car, and thanks to that 8000rpm red line, a far greater useable powerband.

My 2.5L is mapped to 344 / 382 so on paper it has more torque than the Type 20, but in the real world, the STI wouldn't see which way the Spec C went. Part of this is down to weight, and sure enough, I had both cars weighed and found a 140kg difference - 1350kg playing 1490.

I spent a great deal of time trying to improve the steering in my STI, fitting the full compliment of whiteline goodies and opting for some pretty aggressive geo settings. After 50 meters in the Type 20 it became clear that this was all a waste of time - with the 13:1 rack, the Litchfield handling kit and 235 section RE070's the Spec C has steering accuracy and feedback easily on a par with my standard benchmarks in this department (Evo 9 and Clio 200 Cup). On a challening road the Spec C allows you to push right to the limit, where the 2.5L always asked you to keep a little in reserve to account for the vagueness of the steering.

I was a little concerned about the equal length manifolds on the JDMs - we all love the Scooby burble. In truth though, I don't miss a thing: there's still a characteristic boxer beat at idle and at full chat there's a stupendous superbike howl, quite unlike anything the standard Scoobies can deliver. I've no doubt the Miltek exhaust helps in this department, managing to be civilised enough on a motorway schlep, while still providing all the excitement you could ever need when pushing on.

If you read the spec sheet on the Spec C, you get the impression it's a very loud and un-habitable car, totally unsuitable for daily use. Truth is, with the sleak black interior, full climate control and surprisingly good ride (from the AST coilovers on the Type 20), there's really nothing to complain about. Sure, you get a little more road noise and you can hear the stones tapping against the un-undersealed floor but it's still totally comfortable and there's really no reason you couldn't use this car every single day.

Speaking of specifications: the comparisons on this forum usually mention the obvious differences: engine capacity, turbo type, etc, so I won't go over these again. What I can add is that after an hour of under bonnet "spot the difference", I was pretty hard pressed to find ANY shared parts between the two cars. Everything looks pretty similar at first glance, but if you look very closely or start comparing serial numbers you realise that almost every single component is different.

So, to any STI owners out there who are toying with the idea of trading up to a Spec C, I can only say this: DO IT. You will not look back.

CREWJ 01 March 2012 01:05 PM

Phwoar! that is very nice mate :thumb:

rickya 01 March 2012 01:09 PM

Very refreshing comments, comparison & write up. Enjoy :)

Quinvy 01 March 2012 01:11 PM

Very informative and interesting review mate. Thanks very much. Now I must have a spec C.

MadUsa1 01 March 2012 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Quinvy (Post 10513300)
Very informative and interesting review mate. Thanks very much. Now I must have a spec C.

Correct, you really must!

I never beleived the differences would be so stark.

Terminator X 01 March 2012 01:17 PM

Another JDM convert :clap:

TX.

wrx fifer 01 March 2012 01:21 PM

stunning buddy

juggers 01 March 2012 02:09 PM

Great write up :thumb:

Suberman 01 March 2012 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by MadUsa1 (Post 10513289)
It would be far more accurate to think of the Spec C as a completely different car that just happens to look similar to European STI.

The best statement :notworthy

Awesome purchase mate!

Strange that it only weighed 1350kg? How much petrol was in it? The paper figure is 1390kg for a hawkeye spec c.

MadUsa1 01 March 2012 03:12 PM

I'm not sure what the paper figure refers to - is that dry weight or kerb weight?

It was weighed with all fluids, almost no fuel and no driver, occupents or luggage and came to 1350.

I guess the Type 20 will be a little lighter because of the coilovers and Miltek Exhaust.

juggers 01 March 2012 03:15 PM

Coilovers will save 10-15kg there still another 25kg. The exhaust will be the same weight if it is a 3" decat system.

Anyway it's obviously a bonus and nothing to worry about enjoy the motor!

MadUsa1 01 March 2012 03:20 PM

Yeah, I guess it will depend on fuel and fluid levels.

Do you know what the 1390kg refers to? Is that with all fluids and a full tank of fuel?

The 12L intercooler spray bottle was empty too - you pay import duty by kilo here so I wanted to keep things as light as possible.

I did leave the jack and spare wheel in though - that would've taken off an extra 15kg.

chet123 01 March 2012 03:44 PM

Good and interesting read. Cheers

Suberman 01 March 2012 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by MadUsa1 (Post 10513449)

Do you know what the 1390kg refers to? Is that with all fluids and a full tank of fuel?

The 12L intercooler spray bottle was empty too - you pay import duty by kilo here so I wanted to keep things as light as possible.

I did leave the jack and spare wheel in though - that would've taken off an extra 15kg.

Just checked. 1390kg is the kerb weight http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_weight

So that means it's all fluids and a full tank of petrol and without cargo and passengers.

Very likely yours came up to 1350 due to the coilovers and maybe very little petrol and water in the IC tank. :)

juggers 01 March 2012 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by MadUsa1 (Post 10513449)

Where have you taken it to?

MadUsa1 01 March 2012 04:13 PM

To Switzerland - it's the only one in the country!

It'll probably stay on UK plates though so I can bring it back if (when) I move back to the UK.

juggers 01 March 2012 04:47 PM

Cool, bet you had a great drive back :D

MelTypeR 01 March 2012 05:24 PM

Welcome to the spec C club!!!

They are great aren't they.

The Pink Ninja 01 March 2012 05:59 PM

Welcome to the world of JDM :D

You wouldnt think that there is that much difference in them by looking at them, But i found it much tha same as you coming from a UK car previously, Still cant fault it nearly a year down the line.

tubbytommy 01 March 2012 06:28 PM

looks lovely, what are the mechanical difference between your car and a jdm sti?

T5NYW 01 March 2012 09:20 PM

I know the car well and DAVE T is a real enthusiast and one of the best looked after examples. I doubt you would have it any better condition if you'd have bought it new.

IMHO

Tony

KJD Mk1 01 March 2012 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by T5NYW (Post 10514057)
I know the car well and DAVE T is a real enthusiast and one of the best looked after examples. I doubt you would have it any better condition if you'd have bought it new.

IMHO

Tony

What he said

Enjoy :)

Megaman 01 March 2012 10:12 PM

Excellent write up :)

apac 01 March 2012 11:16 PM

must agree with the above. good honest write up of the Spec C, i have Blob speccie v.8 with all the type 20 add ons and extra. With AST's turned up tight and some sticky rubber they are the business. i just wish i had the money to go from the the vf36 to a litchfield Twin entry turbo for some more 'umph' on the straights and to maximise the redline limit.
You have a special car. The miltek exhaust will take 20kg's off the OEM weight

Gava 01 March 2012 11:59 PM

car looks great, whats the difference between a spec c and a spec d?

T5NYW 02 March 2012 12:06 AM

I must admit my hawk type 20 StI really neaded a 400 bhp UK SCOOB to keep up with it on handling and turn of speed.

I have many uk owners get in my JDM type 20 and pessimistic. Of it performance but once in it completely gobsmacked by its turn of speed

My 350bhp T20 would eat alive my brand new 2011 STi340R in the twisteis

TonyBurns 02 March 2012 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gava (Post 10514349)

The Spec C is a JDM car, spec c stands for specification competition, its a 2ltr twin scroll engine which is about the best unit subaru have ever produced :D

The spec d is just a 2.5 UK car in comparison (see OP's starting post).

Tony:)

IggyRB320 02 March 2012 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Gava (Post 10514349)

Spec D, is as mentioned a UK STi Type UK 2.5ltr with the 'D' standing for discreet!
All the power & braking of the standard STi, but a low level spoiler, leather seats & more sound deadening!
Made to be, 'less in your face'..

The Spec C, is in a different league as mentioned!

Quinvy 02 March 2012 12:56 AM

How do these cars fair with corrosion, with not being undersealed?

juggers 02 March 2012 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Quinvy (Post 10514393)
How do these cars fair with corrosion, with not being undersealed?

Simples you just spend £300 getting it professionally undersealed, most of them are. :thumb: