ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   STi V3 Viscous diff v DCCD centre diff (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/926104-sti-v3-viscous-diff-v-dccd-centre-diff.html)

STI5300 22 February 2012 05:10 PM

STi V3 Viscous diff v DCCD centre diff

Hi All,
I think I have got my head around the differences between these. Are the following correct.
STD Viscous unit is a 50/50 split front rear.
DCCD Unit is a 35/65 ish split front rear.
The DCCD unit maintains this 35/65 split despite what setting you set on the dial but allows more or less slip between the diffs. Ie it doesn't send more than 35% to the front but reduces the slip between the diffs.

Fingers crossed I have it right.
Why ? I have installed a DCCD unit in my V3 box for sprinting.

DT-SPD 22 February 2012 05:36 PM

I thought DCCD could split front rear from fully open ( 36/65 f-r ) to locked ( 50/50 f-r )

More here http://driveperformance2.subaru.com/.../blueprint.asp

cster 22 February 2012 09:48 PM

I think you are both correct - in laymans terms.
Technically speaking, it the DCCD was fully locked and the rear wheels were on tarmac and the fronts were on ice, the split for torque would be more like 95% to the tarmac and 5% on the ice. But to my way of thinking, it would be 50:50.
I have a DCCD on my car and think it is a complete waste of time (ie just another thing to go wrong)- but each to his own I suppose.

craigo 22 February 2012 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by cster (Post 10500804)
I think you are both correct - in laymans terms.
Technically speaking, it the DCCD was fully locked and the rear wheels were on tarmac and the fronts were on ice, the split for torque would be more like 95% to the tarmac and 5% on the ice. But to my way of thinking, it would be 50:50.
I have a DCCD on my car and think it is a complete waste of time (ie just another thing to go wrong)- but each to his own I suppose.

so in your mind, ...
a designer, engineer who though dccd on a road car is a good option was wrong ?

or was it indeed intended for road use ?

euan_r 23 February 2012 12:47 PM

the original op has it correct. the torque split remains the same. moving the dial controls the duty cycle of lock between axles just.

Originally Posted by craigo (Post 10500838)
so in your mind, ...

prodrive removed it from p1 for a reason.

cster 24 February 2012 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by craigo (Post 10500838)
so in your mind, ...

or was it indeed intended for road use ?

Well I have tracked my car on a good number of occasions wet and dry, with it on and off and can't say I've ever noticed any difference - maybe I'm just a **** driver though.
As far as I'm concerned, it is a bit of a gimmick, but others may have a different opinion.

apac 25 February 2012 09:05 AM

dialing down the DCCD on the track definatley makes a difference in the dry, just keep it in auto in the wet. But maybe i notice it more due to having coilovers dialed up hard with ARBS, ALK and Strut braces. The DCCD definately helps to bring the rear around. But to be honest i tend to leave it in Auto, relying more on the mods above to to neutralize understeer

stedee 25 February 2012 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by euan_r (Post 10501588)
the original op has it correct. the torque split remains the same. moving the dial controls the duty cycle of lock between axles just.

prodrive removed it from p1 for a reason.

abs

stedee 25 February 2012 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by cster (Post 10504293)
Well I have tracked my car on a good number of occasions wet and dry, with it on and off and can't say I've ever noticed any difference - maybe I'm just a **** driver though.
As far as I'm concerned, it is a bit of a gimmick, but others may have a different opinion.

you cant tell the difference?????? does it work on yours.
it makes a big difference , i think the more power youve got the more of a difference it makes

STI5300 25 February 2012 03:17 PM

Thanks for all your comments Guys, looks like this is a bit of a hot potatoe, just as well that I kept my viscous unit just in case.

stedee 25 February 2012 06:21 PM

you`ll love it btw, for better turn in but a bit backend happy all the way back on the thumbwheel, for highspeed stuff i usually have it one notch forward

craigo 25 February 2012 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by stedee (Post 10505168)
it makes a big difference , i think the more power youve got the more of a difference it makes

gimmick :lol1:

hmmm on loose surfaces/gravel, it must make a massive difference?

cster 26 February 2012 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by stedee (Post 10505168)

I think that if you throw the car around a fair bit, it would probably make more of a difference.
Perhaps my driving style is a little too old school (smooth) to derive much benefit.
Then again, maybe my one is buggerred:lol1: