ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Insurance (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/)
-   -   Does change of ownership affect premium? (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/926091-does-change-of-ownership-affect-premium.html)

David Lock 22 February 2012 03:59 PM

Does change of ownership affect premium?

Looks like I am going to have to get a cheap commuter car for my 25 year old daughter.

My plan is to buy it in my name but get her insured as main driver with car being based at her flat address away from home.

I got a quote for £498 which would include business use which i thought was pretty good. But if I made her the owner instead of me would I still get the same quote? I would have asked the insurance company but I was not speaking to the brightest person on the planet and I thought someone here would know.

Cheers, David

CREWJ 22 February 2012 04:09 PM

But is she fit? :lol1:

Ahem, I'm not sure tbh. Logic dictates that it shouldn't but we should wait for Moley to come and save the day.

David Lock 22 February 2012 04:50 PM

I coildn't possibly say.............

Thanks.

:) dl

Budgie 23 February 2012 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 10500089)
I coildn't possibly say.............

Thanks.

:) dl

Post pics and we will decide for you:Whatever_
Not sure about the insurance question, bit of an odd one

David Lock 23 February 2012 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Budgie (Post 10502517)
Post pics and we will decide for you:Whatever_
Not sure about the insurance question, bit of an odd one

Not your type at all....... ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../secretary.jpg

dl

In case you hadn't guessed she is NOT my daughter. But nice :)

Midlife...... 23 February 2012 09:37 PM

Doesn't really matter who actually owns it..........I thought it went off who was on the V5 as the keeper ?

Presumably it will be her name on the paperework ?

Shaun

David Lock 23 February 2012 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 10502768)
Doesn't really matter who actually owns it..........I thought it went off who was on the V5 as the keeper ?

Presumably it will be her name on the paperework ?

Shaun

I ended up giving her the keys of our smaller car and bought a small run around for ourselves.

I found out from insurance company that if I keep ownership then my 9 year no claims carries over to the new premium and cover can be changed to her as main driver. If she owned the car then she would start off with no no claims, a much higher premium.

Got the new premium at £322 for fully comp protected. I also bought a small run around today to replace it for meme sahib and myself to use with premium at £138 which I was really pleased with. A black art dealing with car insurance though!

david

Midlife...... 24 February 2012 03:58 PM

Yep David......a real insurance minefield.

Been looking at cars / insurance for my lad when he decides to take the plunge.

Buying a cheap car = huge insurance as the insurance company thinks you are going to trash it.

Optimum seems to be a car costing about £6-7 K when it's good enough not to be thrashed around but not soo expensive it costs a lot to buy / insure.

Happy days.................

Shaun

David Lock 24 February 2012 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 10503733)
Yep David......a real insurance minefield.

Been looking at cars / insurance for my lad when he decides to take the plunge.

Buying a cheap car = huge insurance as the insurance company thinks you are going to trash it.

Optimum seems to be a car costing about £6-7 K when it's good enough not to be thrashed around but not soo expensive it costs a lot to buy / insure.

Happy days.................

Shaun

With insurance such a nightmare for young 'uns I really think the trick is to do what I have done and keep it in your name but be open and say junior will be main driver and car will be living at his address (if he has left home). That way you get to keep any no claims and you have been straight with insurance company. When he is older (about 50!) he can get a car in his own name and his start-up premium will be lower because of his age. Bugger this £1500 premium nonsense :o

david

david