ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   Heater fan runs on max on all speed settings (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/925875-heater-fan-runs-on-max-on-all-speed-settings.html)

sqd 20 February 2012 06:10 PM

Heater fan runs on max on all speed settings

So I'm gonna try to keep this short:
Car is a 2002 JDM WRX, with 2004 STi dashboard RHD to LHD swap.
My heater/blower fan motor died, bought another one, just installed it, but now it's running on max speed, regardless of what setting I use. Even when set to the lowest speed, it's running on max..

Any ideas?

And a bonus question, big points to anyone who know this:
This was going on even with the old fan motor, so I don't think it's the motor itself - the air that comes up through the wents to heat the windshield, is very faint, especially at the drivers side (left side, since it's swapped to be LHD). It's a bit stronger on the passanger side, which is obvious with ice/frost on the windshield, the passenger side heats up/clears quicker than the drivers side, which takes quite a long time to heat up..

addi monster 20 February 2012 06:13 PM

sounds like you bought a dodgey part from murray,,,

sqd 20 February 2012 06:18 PM

Could the fan really be broken like that? I'd think that if it was broken it'd run slowly/worse etc. but I have no idea to be honest..

addi monster 20 February 2012 06:19 PM

its the switch mate , the fan is fine.,.

sqd 20 February 2012 06:27 PM

But how did that "break" itself when I haven't been using the car while I was waiting for the new fan? :p It doesn't make sense..

chrispy200+ 20 February 2012 06:29 PM

Sounds like it could be the rheostat that's had it, had this happen in another car of mine

sqd 20 February 2012 06:52 PM

Hm, maybe, but I thought when that happened, it won't work on any setting EXCEPT on max/highest one?

TH3_5T1G 20 February 2012 07:34 PM

As crispy said, could well be the rheostat. Also known as the resistor pack or ballast pack

Beastie 20 February 2012 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by sqd (Post 10497174)
So I'm gonna try to keep this short:
Car is a 2002 JDM WRX, with 2004 STi dashboard RHD to LHD swap.
My heater/blower fan motor died, bought another one, just installed it, but now it's running on max speed, regardless of what setting I use. Even when set to the lowest speed, it's running on max..

Any ideas?

And a bonus question, big points to anyone who know this:
This was going on even with the old fan motor, so I don't think it's the motor itself - the air that comes up through the wents to heat the windshield, is very faint, especially at the drivers side (left side, since it's swapped to be LHD). It's a bit stronger on the passanger side, which is obvious with ice/frost on the windshield, the passenger side heats up/clears quicker than the drivers side, which takes quite a long time to heat up..

Sounds like one of the plugs at the back of the fan/heating controls is not connected properly. I would check that before you buy anything. Mine did the same and thats what it was.

sqd 21 February 2012 07:02 AM

Thank you (amd all you others too!) for the info, will definitely check that out!

sqd 21 February 2012 07:54 PM

Well it was the resistor pack, thankfully Murray sent me the resistor pack too, replaced it and now it works as it should. Thanks for the help!