ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Sport (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/)
-   -   Torres and Carroll Transfers. (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/925589-torres-and-carroll-transfers.html)

FlightMan 18 February 2012 01:50 PM

Torres and Carroll Transfers.

Is this the worst transfer deal in history.

£85,000,000 changes hands. Both players are shadows of their former selves and I can't believe they'd have been any worse off staying where they were.

Torres today looked like he couldn't be bothered at all and got subbed by Drogba at half time. That's 20 matches now without a goal. :eek:

Discuss.

Funkii Munkii 18 February 2012 02:49 PM

It was 12 months ago, nothings changed

Aaron1978 18 February 2012 02:50 PM

Strange one really.

£35m for Carroll was always a gamble in my eyes as he had never done it at the highest level and going to Liverpool he became just another player, whereas at Newcastle the team played for him. I think he could become a good player but nowhere near a £35m one, and if rumors are to believed he isn't going to get chance to become one at Liverpool.

Torres, well if Chelsea had got the old Torres then £50m would have been seen as good value. Torres towards the end of his Liverpool career just didn't look like he wanted to be there which eventually came out and he moved. Again, to a team who didn't play solely for him and with a system that I don't think suits him and now (to me at least) he doesn't look like he wants to be there either. He does show glimpses of brilliance, something that Carroll doesn't do.

In hindsight I suppose both teams regret the amounts payed for both, Torres though is a proven goalscorer and you don't just become a bad player when you've been at the level he has. I think you'd still get £25-30m for him, and if he headed back to Spain he would score a lot of goals, something I don't think he's going to do at Chelsea.

I can see Carroll going back to Newcastle for £15m ish TBH.

Aaron:thumb:

wrxyz 18 February 2012 03:45 PM

I have no idea what any of the above is about!! Although I do remember Tori Amos...

Aaron1978 18 February 2012 04:30 PM

"Mods, mods........mods, another one has escaped from Scoobynet General"

:D

richie001 18 February 2012 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by azz250478 (Post 10493987)

Torres, well if Chelsea had got the old Torres then £50m would have been seen as good value. Torres towards the end of his Liverpool career just didn't look like he wanted to be there which eventually came out and he moved. Again, to a team who didn't play solely for him and with a system that I don't think suits him and now (to me at least) he doesn't look like he wants to be there either. He does show glimpses of brilliance, something that Carroll doesn't do.

In hindsight I suppose both teams regret the amounts payed for both, Torres though is a proven goalscorer and you don't just become a bad player when you've been at the level he has. I think you'd still get £25-30m for him, and if he headed back to Spain he would score a lot of goals, something I don't think he's going to do at Chelsea.

Aaron:thumb:

Torres problems are that he's making the runs but Chelsea are SSSSOOOO SSSLLLOOOWWW that by the time the ball is played he's got defenders around him.I think he's even given up making the runs.

scouser321 19 February 2012 12:56 AM

Torres moved on because he felt he had been lied to by Hicks and Gillette. He didn't give Fsg a chance to rebuild the side once Chelsea and the prospect of champions league football came about. He will never again be the player he was at Liverpool as his confidence was built on the support of the crowd and the understanding he had with Gerrard. Chelsea fans just sit there waving there plastic flags. Loads of atmosphere lol

Andy Carroll is awfull, he needed more time to continue his development at Newcastle, maybe in the future he could have been a top player.

Carroll will hopefully be moved on in the summer, rumour also has it PSG and Real Madrid may also be after Suarez.

LUCKO 19 February 2012 03:16 AM

Torres will come up with a big important goal in the CL i reckon and prove he was worth the £ :D

ive been wrong before though :lol1:

Big Pete 19 February 2012 11:09 AM

Torres - while at Liverpool there were many suggestions that he had knee problems resulting in him loosing pace.

Carroll - he simply doesn't get the service at Liverpool that he did at Newcastle. Two very different ways of playing.

And there you have my views on them both........ Is there any wonder my footbal 'career' ended before it began?! :lol1:

Hammer man 19 February 2012 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by FlightMan (Post 10493891)
Is this the worst transfer deal in history.

£85,000,000 changes hands. Both players are shadows of their former selves and I can't believe they'd have been any worse off staying where they were.

The agents of both players may not agree with this,,,, money money money money.

alcazar 19 February 2012 12:11 PM

Funnily enough, Carroll was at Newcastle when a lad called Gary Hooper was at Scunthorpe, in the same division.

Carroll played for a team who ended up promoted, while Hooper played for a side courting relegation....yet Hooper scored more goals.

Hooper is now at Celtic and is still scoring.

His move to the prem can only be a year away at most......

NAF 22 February 2012 08:31 PM

Carroll is starting to come good at last Flightman !

Happy days ;)

CrisPDuk 26 February 2012 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by NAF (Post 10500572)

Happy days ;)

My arse :nono:

Dirk Kuyt must be wondering what on earth he has to do to get a game :cuckoo:

This won't be the cup Cardiff won, it'll be the cup Dalglish lost :mad:

jayallen 26 February 2012 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by NAF (Post 10500572)

Happy days ;)

Sorry fella he is a donky! Liverpool carry him, Kenny only plays him because of his transfer fee....That Henderson isnt much better.

Both would struggle to get a game with us on a Wednesday night...:lol1:

CrisPDuk 26 February 2012 06:08 PM

I wouldn't put either of them in our 6 a side team :(