ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   6 years and no faults until . . . (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/925437-6-years-and-no-faults-until.html)

sprigeteer 17 February 2012 08:24 AM

6 years and no faults until . . .

Sent the car in last week when the dreaded OBD orange warning light came on. Then I thought, this is the first fault the car has developed for 6 years! Not bad for an 02 WRX wagon running quite a few mods with 80K+ on the clock.

Turns out that the SPARKplug on number 3 cylinder was fecked, so, not really the car's fault. I've owned Audis, VWs, Volvos etc and none have been as reliable as my Bug. I've serviced it relentlessly but don't pamper it when on the road. What else could you get for the money with this reliability and pace?:wonder: Not a lot. I was thinking of replacing it last year, but couldn't bring myself to part with (a) the money required to get something as quick/practical or (b) the car itself.

ditchmyster 17 February 2012 08:45 AM

I've said it several times before, bang for buck they cant be beaten, especially since you have a wagon, dogs in the back and do the tip run in the morning and then put on a decent show at a track day in the afternoon and stay with cars that cost a great deal more, and embarrass a few of them with light mods.

Thats why i drive one.

:thumb:

chrishigham 17 February 2012 10:40 AM

Im 6 months and no faults yet other than a puncture

alcazar 17 February 2012 10:53 AM

You mean the SPARKplug in No3 cylinder?

No3 cylinder is known to ruun hottest. When you replace the plugs, maybe have someone look at the map?

Might save you a few £££ in a couple of years' time?

sprigeteer 17 February 2012 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10492119)
You mean the SPARKplug in No3 cylinder?

No3 cylinder is known to ruun hottest. When you replace the plugs, maybe have someone look at the map?

Might save you a few £££ in a couple of years' time?

No, it was a sinkplug.:lol1:

I'm changing the old exhaust this year, getting a bit ratty, so I will examine the map then I think. Good idea.

Galifrey 17 February 2012 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by sprigeteer (Post 10492124)

I believe our engines have a plug that is fitted after you fit the piston wrist pins, so it wasn't as silly a question as you thought ;)

alcazar 17 February 2012 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by sprigeteer (Post 10492124)

I'm changing the old exhaust this year, getting a bit ratty, so I will examine the map then I think. Good idea.

There is also the blanking plug above that cylinder..........used for an oil temperature gauge?

Apology accepted, btw;)

Galifrey 17 February 2012 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10492198)
There is also the blanking plug above that cylinder..........used for an oil temperature gauge?

Apology accepted, btw;)

:notworthy

P1Fanatic 17 February 2012 01:06 PM

Not sure what its like now but Subaru always did well in reliability surveys - at least in terms of claims made but when one was made it is often fairly pricey.

sprigeteer 17 February 2012 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10492198)

Apology accepted, btw;)

I will be sure to use the full terminology and no grammatically plausable contractions in future. I've been a very naughty boy and I'm very sorry, sir.:notworthy

Ryan@Indigo-GT 17 February 2012 03:13 PM

My Type R was reliable during the time I had it, I had a sticky caliper so had to get the seals renewed, other than that I had no issues.