ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Buying a 2005 Blob STI with no service book (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/925361-buying-a-2005-blob-sti-with-no-service-book.html)

Thermalp4 16 February 2012 05:43 PM

Buying a 2005 Blob STI with no service book

Hi Guys.

Just wanted some thoughts really.

Allthough it goes against everything i've ever said about buying cars i'm considering buying a 2006 55 Blob STi with 29k on the clock with no service book.

Obviously the asking price reflects the fact that it has no service record and no cambelt done but I was just wondering if there was anything i should be looking for?

It's HPI clear which might not mean a great deal but at least it has nothing recorded and it's only 2 private owners.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

white2lsr 16 February 2012 06:00 PM

There are loads out there so look around. I wouldnt touch a car that has only had 2 owners but has managed to loose its history.

Thermalp4 16 February 2012 06:02 PM

That's the point, there arent loads of low mileage 2005 Widetrack STIs out there for reasonable money which is why I was considering it.

But i'm thinking the same as you mate.

MattyB1983 16 February 2012 06:03 PM

Did the current owner lose the book ?
If not maybe try contacting the previous owner.

Where has the car been serviced ?
If at main dealer then all history will be on file.

MattyB1983 16 February 2012 06:05 PM

It's also very low mileage. Check for general signs that the mileage is true. Wear on seats and steering wheel, chips at the front etc etc.
When cars have the clocks wound back they often "lose" their history file.

riiidaa 16 February 2012 06:07 PM

sounds like it's not really low mileage

Thermalp4 16 February 2012 06:15 PM

Condition reflects the milage but when i come to sell it people will be thinking the same as you are saying.

I think this is a walk away job really.

peter zippy reid 16 February 2012 06:21 PM

If you could find the dealer that did the services can you not get them to do you a new service book showing all stamps

Scooby Jo 16 February 2012 07:00 PM

As above really, I never take the service history at face value and always do some background checks, the key is finding the dealer who sold it - they normally have a fair amount of history on it as they usually do the first few services, or find the one nearest to the last owner?? It's worth a bit of research if you like the car:thumb:

scooby595 16 February 2012 07:10 PM

Follow your gut instincts, does it feel right? There's so many to choose from, the history if it exsists must be somewhere surely?

chrishigham 16 February 2012 10:18 PM

Walk away, when you come to sell it may go against you. There is always another around the corner.

MattyB1983 16 February 2012 10:24 PM

Depends how cheap we are talking though guys.

-shane- 16 February 2012 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by white2lsr (Post 10490933)
There are loads out there so look around. I wouldnt touch a car that has only had 2 owners but has managed to loose its history.

Show me were please

daz1968 16 February 2012 11:41 PM

If price is right and condition reflects mileage and you are planning on keeping it a while then take the risk and just get a full service as soon as you get it, better to buy with no history rather than a high mileage rough car with history. Also as above if the owner knows where it was serviced then the garage should have some records

maydew 16 February 2012 11:48 PM

walk away and wait till right one comes up buyers market,i service my car myself and keep every receipt to the car for the new owner if/when the time comes to sell as most enthusiasts do,history is important as previous mots etc to help back up mileage/usage the car has had.

zayd 17 February 2012 05:14 PM

Like others have said, just get the details of where it was serviced. Then you can build a picture of all services carried out on the car. Surely, even if the service book was lost, they should have invoices from the dealers of the services.

If the car has no receipts invoices, old MOT's, then I'd also walk away.

If it does all check out, then it would indeed be quite a low mileage bargain. Have you checked if its a CAT C, D etc.

Scooby Jo 17 February 2012 06:25 PM

Cat c or D write off should appear on HPI check

supervisor 17 February 2012 07:15 PM

I just bought another 05 with 26000 fssh can get one easy just got to keep lookin