ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Powder coated wheel major failure! Images not suitable for children! (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/924953-powder-coated-wheel-major-failure-images-not-suitable-for-children.html)

ScoobySteve69 14 February 2012 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by JohnD (Post 10487123)
:lol1:Says the bloke with the photo of a big juicy arse!:eek::thumb:

JohnD

:lol:

neilwrx 14 February 2012 04:02 PM

Me to I will be speaking to the manager at myalloys about this

M444GY 14 February 2012 04:17 PM

i have had 2 sets of these wheels do that and they were in the normal factory paint , i have also checked other wrxs with these on and you can see signs of cracks apearing , i dont think it has anything to do with powdercoating , i think the wheels are just weak. and with a few years of abuse they just fail ! we do loads of powdercoating and never had a problem , id emagine they were cracked before and the powdercoat had just hidden the obvious signs .

mags

53 14 February 2012 04:24 PM

Well these have been fitted for a few years and they get lots of abuse ! :)

I think the problem is you are trusting that the ones doing the coating are doing it properly and that your wheels are mint in the first place. Any weaknesses are going to be exacerbated by the powdercoating process. If you buy them second hand even worse, as you have no idea of the wheels history.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._1319770_n.jpg

neilwrx 14 February 2012 04:40 PM

Love the fact its got eqc advertising at top of the page LOL:)

ScoobySteve69 14 February 2012 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 53 (Post 10487516)

I think the problem is you are trusting that the ones doing the coating are doing it properly and that your wheels are mint in the first place. Any weaknesses are going to be exacerbated by the powdercoating process. If you buy them second hand even worse, as you have no idea of the wheels history.

Unless those tyres are new, they`re insanely clean :lol1:

bonesetter 14 February 2012 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by M444GY (Post 10487504)
i have had 2 sets of these wheels do that and they were in the normal factory paint , i have also checked other wrxs with these on and you can see signs of cracks apearing , i dont think it has anything to do with powdercoating , i think the wheels are just weak. and with a few years of abuse they just fail ! we do loads of powdercoating and never had a problem , id emagine they were cracked before and the powdercoat had just hidden the obvious signs .

mags

Really, there's many threads all over the web about this powdercoating problem, including a few linked in this thread.

I haven't seen any web stuff on WRX alloys letting go like this, have you any info/links?

CharlySkunkWeed 14 February 2012 07:49 PM

use for the other 3 wheels . . . . .

[IMG]http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...91744697_n.jpg[/IMG]

53 14 February 2012 07:57 PM

Not new, use degreaser :)

ScoobySteve69 14 February 2012 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by 53 (Post 10487881)
Not new, use degreaser :)

Cool :thumb:

bonesetter 14 February 2012 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by 53 (Post 10487516)

New :lol1: Can't you see the tide mark half down the wall :lol1:

53 14 February 2012 09:38 PM

;) hence the abuse the wheels have taken :)

bonesetter 14 February 2012 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by 53 (Post 10488182)
;) hence the abuse the wheels have taken :)

:thumb: Good man.

Keep checkin' 'em ;)

RICHARD J 14 February 2012 11:10 PM

This is not a new problem,in the nineties there were a spate of motorbike accidents caused by powdercoated wheels. I think the more light weight the wheel the more likely they are to crack after coating.
My wheel man paints them after filling & reshaping any scuffs & they always come up like new.

neilwrx 15 February 2012 08:31 AM

Anyone wanna buy a set of newly refurbished newage alloys!!! Lol

M444GY 15 February 2012 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by bonesetter (Post 10487661)
Really, there's many threads all over the web about this powdercoating problem, including a few linked in this thread.

I haven't seen any web stuff on WRX alloys letting go like this, have you any info/links?

i have no info , but every thread that has been on here for wheels failing has been the wrx wheels , i have see 2 cases , and inspected others and found cracks so it cant just be a co incidence .

i will ask my powdercoater and see if he has had any issues ? and ill report back :thumb:

mags

stockcar 15 February 2012 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by RICHARD J (Post 10488396)
This is not a new problem,in the nineties there were a spate of motorbike accidents caused by powdercoated wheels. I think the more light weight the wheel the more likely they are to crack after coating.
My wheel man paints them after filling & reshaping any scuffs & they always come up like new.

are you confusing these with the lightweight "magnesium" wheels that broke??
had nothing to do with powder coating

dunx 15 February 2012 01:41 PM

Only a muppet would PC a cracked alloy...

And high quality lightweight wheels are MORE likely to survive the process, IMHO.

It's how you heat and cool the alloy that alters it's metallic structure not the amount of heat used.

dunx

Hudson_rj 15 February 2012 03:51 PM

Sorry for the off topic reply to this thread but..

The Inovit Redlines I've just bought, will they come with nuts and/or will my original nuts be ok to use?

Cheers

53 15 February 2012 05:25 PM

I'd get some slimline nuts as the shafts are very thin and get fubard by sockets :)

M444GY 15 February 2012 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hudson_rj (Post 10489082)
Sorry for the off topic reply to this thread but..

The Inovit Redlines I've just bought, will they come with nuts and/or will my original nuts be ok to use?

Cheers

did you buy new ??

Hudson_rj 15 February 2012 08:59 PM

Yep, bought them from Turriff Tyres (premier_wheels - eBay). Only now I'm wondering if you could have done me a better deal. Sorry mate, I should have msg'd you.

Arrived today and had 22 nuts included.

Just put them on in the dark with a torch in my mouth. Got too excited to wait for the weekend. Very happy with them. Slightly harder ride and slight change in steering feel.

Hudson_rj 16 February 2012 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Damage to car. Any ideas on cost of repair? New wing? The inner liner has detached also. Cheers
Attachment 67794

bonesetter 16 February 2012 09:38 AM

Pretty much what happened to mine. With a bit of body English and a lump hammer behind a board I flatted out the creasing in the rear of the wing and then filled and sprayed.

Other thing is finding a breaker to sell you a same colour used wing - bolt off, bolt on :)

Hudson_rj 16 February 2012 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by bonesetter (Post 10490257)
Pretty much what happened to mine. With a bit of body English and a lump hammer behind a board I flatted out the creasing in the rear of the wing and then filled and sprayed.

Other thing is finding a breaker to sell you a same colour used wing - bolt off, bolt on :)

Really good idea on looking at breakers. Theres an offside on ebay in the right colour but I need a near side.

bonesetter 16 February 2012 11:34 AM

A breaker's wing usu costs ~£35

24/7 spares are good. Wanted ad here etc

pele 16 February 2012 01:08 PM

They look like my old wheels when I had a accident and ping ponged down a hill bouncing off the kerbs, I hope no one was stupid enough to buy them and try and repair them to make a quick buck!

M444GY 16 February 2012 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hudson_rj (Post 10489665)
Yep, bought them from Turriff Tyres (premier_wheels - eBay). Only now I'm wondering if you could have done me a better deal. Sorry mate, I should have msg'd you.

Arrived today and had 22 nuts included.

Just put them on in the dark with a torch in my mouth. Got too excited to wait for the weekend. Very happy with them. Slightly harder ride and slight change in steering feel.

thats cool bud lol i was gona say if you bought new they come with nuts :thumb:

what happened to the wing ?

KrisBuc 16 February 2012 03:23 PM

Really want to powder coat my wheels but reading this has worried me a bit
I have newage sti wheels ??

Hudson_rj 16 February 2012 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by M444GY (Post 10490551)
thats cool bud lol i was gona say if you bought new they come with nuts :thumb:

what happened to the wing ?

The wing got clattered by the wheel on its way off. It's creased it and taken some paint off. Got a couple of scuffs on the rear bumper so will send it to the body shop and get it all sorted. Thinking of a high level spoiler at the same time also.