ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   HAVE I JUST BLOWN MY TURBO? HELP! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/924789-have-i-just-blown-my-turbo-help.html)

jap-sti-555 12 February 2012 11:32 AM

HAVE I JUST BLOWN MY TURBO? HELP!

just been for a sunday morning blast and something has gone wrong.
gave it a boot and a massive sound of air came from under the bonnet ( i have a dump valve and it sounded simular to this) lost power and engind died right away, luck i was just at the top of my road and rolled it home.
have i killed the turbo?
only just fitted a used vf28 and had it mapped last week.
any ideas? things to tell what it is?

r1c 12 February 2012 11:35 AM

Have the dv stuck open?

alcazar 12 February 2012 11:36 AM

Check ALL pipes for leaks or having been blown off.

jap-sti-555 12 February 2012 11:40 AM

il go check pipes, how can i tell if dv is stuck? take it off?

yabbadoo4 12 February 2012 11:47 AM

if its a baileys dv these are bad for sticking. mine was doing it and dumping boost all the time. i binned it for a forge and its been fine since. considering you have just fitted a turbo recently theres a good chance its just a pipe off or something simple. good luck and hope its nothing serious m8.

jap-sti-555 12 February 2012 11:49 AM

is there a way to unstick it for now? would this cause engine to cut out and not tick over steady? im just off to remove it now and check pipes.

b road blaster 12 February 2012 12:07 PM

as above i would be checking the pipes have not blown off or split.

jap-sti-555 12 February 2012 12:23 PM

right just inspected it. little confused now. car tickes over ok when the pipe is off the dump valve. when i put it back on the dump valve opens and the revs drop and car cuts out. any ideas on this?
its a baily housed in intercooler dump valve. so large pipe is blanked off and its the small pipe im talking about, the one that goes to inlet manifold.
its been fine up to now.

DJ_Jon 12 February 2012 12:25 PM

Check for boost pipes coming loose, bin the VTA dump valve for a standard Subaru item. From what you describe I doubt you have "blown your turbo". best of luck.

The big pipe is for the re-circ system, the small pipe is from the inlet & the pressure difference when coming off the throttle is what causes the dump valve to open. Sounds like the valve is stuck. Again, bin it for an OEM unit.

jap-sti-555 12 February 2012 12:38 PM

what can i do for now? when the pipe is disconnected it just sucks air but the revs are fine. is this safe to run like this?

Turbotits 12 February 2012 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by jap-sti-555 (Post 10483759)
what can i do for now? when the pipe is disconnected it just sucks air but the revs are fine. is this safe to run like this?

Nope it will be lean check the inlet track after the maf sensor. I suspect a split pipe so wrong readings from maf

sacott gilhespy 12 February 2012 12:51 PM

I had this problem on mine ages ago. Has it got a standard intake pipe onto the turbo? These tend to perish and split as mentioned above. I replaced mine with a silicone jobbie and it ran good as gold. Is it a 2000my car? if so it will be worth replacing the m.a.f. sensor while your at it as they tend to go all the time. ;-)

stonejedi 12 February 2012 01:02 PM

when turbos blow you would know about it,the turbo that have blown on my cars you get lots of smoke and no power but the car still drove,as above check all hoses linked to the turbo,intercooler etc...

dbay 12 February 2012 01:37 PM

seeing as you have just fitted a turbo i would be looking at all the pipes going to it, sounds like the maff isnt reading the intake air so there is a leak on the intake side ie ic pipes or air intake (post maff). you can dismantle most dv's to clean them but i cant see that being the problem as its opening when you put the vac on.

jap-sti-555 12 February 2012 01:58 PM

seem to have fixed it. thank god. cleaned dv and then found that the front intercooler into manifold pipe had slipped from underneath. only noticed it when seen jubilee clip was not straight.