ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   No boost and oil in petrol? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/923833-no-boost-and-oil-in-petrol.html)

hoyleyboyley 05 February 2012 11:13 AM

No boost and oil in petrol?

Morning all,

Car workIng fine until yesterday, cleared snow off this morning, went out. May have had boost this morning but was still warming up so not driving too mad!

Any way, noticed I have no boost at all. Other than that car drives fine. Stopped and had a look, no noticeable burst pipes or anything.

Checked oil and it has a faint whiff of petrol...

Any immediate ideas what might have bust?

Ta

DT-SPD 05 February 2012 06:02 PM

smell of petrol in oil is quite common in cold weather if the oil doesnt get hot enough to evaporate the petrol.

if your oil level is increasing from the petrol then that is something to worry about.

The Pink Ninja 05 February 2012 06:23 PM

Any engine lights, What year/car?

Do you have a boost gauge fitted?

hoyleyboyley 05 February 2012 08:42 PM

03 blob, yes have boost, oil press and oil temp.

Literally car just won't boost at all. Stationary rev in neutral, under load in gear just not boost above 0psi!

Could turbo have just shat itself? Or big i/c hose split?

The Pink Ninja 05 February 2012 09:42 PM

I'd have a good check of the hoses, from the turbo to inter cooler, inter cooler to throttle body, does it have an aftermarket dump valve if so swap it for an OEM one, It's also possible if you still have the original cat in the up pipe that it could have collapsed and the exhaust gases are not flowing.

hoyleyboyley 06 February 2012 02:25 PM

I/c off. All hoses etc in tact. :s

Thinking about it though turbo isn't boosting. At all.
No boost leaks, no spooling. Nothing. Short of the blades in the turbo eating itself I can't think of anything that would stop it boosting at all...?

The Pink Ninja 06 February 2012 05:23 PM

The turbo spools up from the exhaust gases, If they are not getting through it wont spool, Do you still have the standard factory fitted up-pipe from the headers to turbo, If so get it checked out for a dodgy cat.

Turbotits 06 February 2012 06:31 PM

If its a wrx the cat may have fallen apart and be stuck in the turbo blade. Sti doesnt have an up-pipe cat. But i have seen a nut jamming a turbo. It was in a set of headers when they were fitted new.

ditchmyster 06 February 2012 11:08 PM

i'd check the pipe that goes onto the boost solenoid, on the left hand side in front of the suspension strut mount.

TurboAndy 06 February 2012 11:27 PM

As has been said if its got the cat in the up pipe I would be looking there incase it has disintegrated and either blocking the exhaust gasses or part of it has gone up into the turbo

hoyleyboyley 07 February 2012 10:16 AM

cheers guys.

spoke to slowboy racing yesterday who suggested it might be wastgate arm, but that was still connected?

so now i guess i am looking at getting turbo & up pipe off to check for blockages. :s