ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   EXHAUST HELP? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/922378-exhaust-help.html)

steve ex vauxhall 25 January 2012 05:55 PM

EXHAUST HELP?

Hi Chaps, and chapesses,
i have a uk turbo 2000.
after much changing of parts it runs sweet as a nut a present:thumb:
However, it has a full decat exhaust, straight through from the turbo back and no cats.

Now obviously i'm going to have to fit cats for the next MOT:cry:

My question is, once a source a standard exhaust with cats, am i really going to need to re-map the bugger just to get it through the MOT, and then re-map back again to put this system back on:Suspiciou

Cheers fellas

Bananawasp 25 January 2012 08:32 PM

In theory yes under the new changes to the mot law all vehicles after the first of April 1992 must be fitted with a catalytic converter if it's missing it's an instant failure even if your car passes the emissions test. I'm an mot testers and understand the hassle it is to swap things over so I would just pass the car. But some of the people I no take the mot manual to bed with them, the best thing to do is pop in to an mot test station and ask the question you will get a yes or a no from them if it's a no just keep trying.

99greenwagon 25 January 2012 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by steve ex vauxhall (Post 10451458)
Hi Chaps, and chapesses,
i have a uk turbo 2000.
after much changing of parts it runs sweet as a nut a present:thumb:
However, it has a full decat exhaust, straight through from the turbo back and no cats.

Now obviously i'm going to have to fit cats for the next MOT:cry:

My question is, once a source a standard exhaust with cats, am i really going to need to re-map the bugger just to get it through the MOT, and then re-map back again to put this system back on:Suspiciou

Cheers fellas

you will NOT need to remap just to pass an mot,once the cats back on it should pass,and just swap them back over after mot,i pressume you already have the car mapped for the decat?
if so thats fine,just dont be ragging it with the cats in place.

Turbo Tez 25 January 2012 10:08 PM

Your best just finding a decat friendly test station. Find some members in your area and I'm sure they will be able to advise you.

midnight 25 January 2012 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo Tez (Post 10452131)
Your best just finding a decat friendly test station. Find some members in your area and I'm sure they will be able to advise you.

+1 ,a lot less hassle than fitting it for an hour for the mot, then taking it off when you get home. :Suspiciou

StiX 25 January 2012 10:23 PM

My first Impreza was an M-Reg WRX years ago. Full decat but supplied with centre cat for MOT.

First MOT, had it put back on - failed.

Hmm, arse!

Turbo Tez 25 January 2012 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by StiX (Post 10452175)
My first Impreza was an M-Reg WRX years ago. Full decat but supplied with centre cat for MOT.

First MOT, had it put back on - failed.

Hmm, arse!

Lol

steve ex vauxhall 26 January 2012 08:13 PM

Cheers fellas,
once again excellent advice, so much appreciated:luxhello:
Unfortunately the chances of finding a friendly MOT tester round here are a little on the slim side:(
But on a positive note i have just managed to lay my hands on a complete standard exhaust from a fellow scoobynet member:thumb:

Was just worried about the mapping thing as didnt fancy shelling a load of cash out twice just for the MOT

thanks again chaps

steve :D