ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Fitted a new MAF and now got CEL- code 23 (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/922203-fitted-a-new-maf-and-now-got-cel-code-23-a.html)

L.J.F 24 January 2012 04:48 PM

Fitted a new MAF and now got CEL- code 23

I have just fitted a brand new MAF to my 2000 P1 as the old one had been in there and i wanted some piece of mind plus the car was idling a bit low and this was the first port of call. Once fitted i reset the ecu via a PSI3 and started up and let it idle, straight away it was struggling and cut out 3 times on me. Eventually on the fourth attempt it managed not to die on me but it was still erratic on ideal and generally running lumpy:wonder: Also got a check engine light with code 23:wonder:

any ideas mucho appriciated:D

L.J.F 24 January 2012 04:52 PM

Just to add it was the correct MAF sensor, exactly the same as the one i replaced it with;)

jameswrx 24 January 2012 05:24 PM

Sounds like you might have a faulty maf, possibly damaged in transit.

L.J.F 24 January 2012 05:49 PM

Turns out wasn't connected properly:D

But i am still getting erractic idle and revs dropping to 500-600 and sounds lumpy. Also noticed when i shut it down the was a sound similar to hissing or something de-pressurising??

Any ideas what is causing this?

MIAMI 24 January 2012 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by L.J.F (Post 10449455)
Turns out wasn't connected properly:D

But i am still getting erractic idle and revs dropping to 500-600 and sounds lumpy. Also noticed when i shut it down the was a sound similar to hissing or something de-pressurising??

Any ideas what is causing this?

Hi mate, try putting your old one back in and reset ecu and see if it makes any difference, also are there any other trouble codes coming up? I would clean the icv valve with throttle/carb cleaner aswell.

L.J.F 24 January 2012 09:52 PM

Anymore suggestions?

Scooby Parts 24 January 2012 10:26 PM

Depressurising noise will be the VF28 winding down.

L.J.F 25 January 2012 05:22 AM

Cheers for that:)

L.J.F 25 January 2012 03:21 PM

Well the icv has been cleaned, including the housing it sits in and also cleaned and reseated the o-ring etc. Turned it over and it still sounds lumpy and has erractic idle/ hunting for revs. I also used carb cleaner and checked for a leak without any luck:brickwall

Any ideas what it can be?

stevemoir 25 January 2012 03:59 PM

What happened to your old sensor. You only stated that you replaced because it was old ? Have you put this back in to see if the problem occurs ? Or have you binned it lol

Steve

stedee 25 January 2012 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Parts (Post 10450162)
Depressurising noise will be the VF28 winding down.

are you sure, ive had this, its a quick sound more like a dv, i thought it was coming from the icv, like to know myself

stedee 25 January 2012 06:44 PM

are you sure it sealed properly with the hoses btw

L.J.F 25 January 2012 09:52 PM

Yeah it made a good seal, i sprayed the area with carb cleaner when checking for a leak and there was nothing around the icv.

L.J.F 26 January 2012 08:37 AM

Anyone got any more ideas what could cause this?

seminney 26 January 2012 09:43 AM

I have similar problems with my classic after melting the cables to the O2 sensor.
My idle is slightly high, and doesn't hunt an idle on cold start, it'll just cut out unless you rev it. Also its making a hissing and is also lumpy.

I've replaced a few parts already, next are the MAF and the MAP sensors. I'm no mechanic or anything, I just did some reasearch and found that my issue is likely to be the MAF or MAP. So the point in my reply is to ask; have you checked your MAP (Manifold atmospheric pressure) sensor? You can test it with a vacuum pump and multi meter. And also check the O2 sensor maybe?

L.J.F 26 January 2012 07:20 PM

I am looking to replace the lambda next along with the plugs and coil pack.

L.J.F 26 January 2012 07:21 PM

I dont think it is the MAP sensor.

mikeyrs 03 March 2012 08:28 PM

Any update? Did you fix problem?