ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   help!!!!high idle after fitting inlet manifold (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/922122-help-high-idle-after-fitting-inlet-manifold.html)

bruce1986 23 January 2012 10:49 PM

help!!!!high idle after fitting inlet manifold

i have fitted the inlet and throttle body today after having it polished,fitting went smoothly and used new gaskets ect,started the car for the first time iin months and it ran fine for 5 to 10 seconds the it creeps up to 2.5/3k and idles there,every time the car is started it does the same runs fine then idles high again,have checked for loose pipes and air leaks and no signs of anything,any suggestions anyone?thanks

bruce1986 23 January 2012 11:22 PM

anyone?

The Trooper 1815 23 January 2012 11:32 PM

Check to ensure the throttle cable is are not snagged and they are connected in the correct way.

LegacySTi 23 January 2012 11:34 PM

Wat year?

bruce1986 23 January 2012 11:40 PM

its a my98 uk,have checked throttle cable and was fine,tried disconnecting throttle cable and still the same,thinking it could be a sticky icv not sure really:confused: also has thrown the check engine light on

YE5 1 SUB 24 January 2012 06:01 PM

have you tried spraying wd 40 over inlet gaskets?
throttle body etc,to see if the engine revs change?

bruce1986 24 January 2012 10:16 PM

i took off the icv off this morning and cleaned it all with carb cleaner,bit off adjustment and got it to idle about the 1k mark,so its a massive improvement but was pissin it down so after getting soaked decided to call it a day

LegacySTi 29 January 2012 12:57 AM

Ok so it changed..

Focus at moment is on ICV

stedee 29 January 2012 11:14 AM

airl leak from inlet gaskets??

mje_wrx 29 January 2012 01:48 PM

air leak, vaccum pipe split somewhere, or iacv adj, i shut mine right off and lifted slow till it sounded right, then jgm done rest on a remap :D

bruce1986 30 January 2012 09:53 PM

pretty sure i have no leaks anywhere,cant find the time at the min with the lack of daylight after work and 3wk old daughter taking up the rest of my time
hoping to get on it at the wkend

bruce1986 06 February 2012 08:25 PM

bit of an update if anybody can advise?managed to spend half hour on the scoob today,i had to twist the throttle position sensor most the way to the left so it pretty much touches the breather pipe to bring the revs down to just under 1k and then runs fine,after leaving it switched off for a while on restart coughs and splutters and stalls.move it to the right abit and sarts but idles too high:brickwall
as i had the check engine light on i connected the plugs under dash and got code 31 (i think first time trying to read the flashes) which i believe is throttle position sensor.
anybody have any ideas as what to try or any other faults that these have? cheers:thumb:

djquest 06 February 2012 09:31 PM

I had the same problem with my car when i took my inlet manifold off. only to realise that one of the gaskets had popped off while fitting. My car would also rev to 3k mark. I brought new set of gaskets and refitted and issue was sorted. The way i found out was the gaskets where leaking because i checked the area around the inlet and i could feel air blowing/sucking. i hope you get it sorted.

bruce1986 06 February 2012 09:42 PM

yeah checked everywhere and used new genuine gaskets,if it was a air leak would it be hunting for revs and not just high idle?

djquest 06 February 2012 10:24 PM

i can tell you mine didnt hunt for idle. it just slowly reved stright up to around 3k. i have a big feeling that it is most likely an air leak thats causing this. the thing is even if you used brand new gaskets i would still check if they are seated correctly and sealing correctly.