ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Power steering pump failure on blob-eye (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/922023-power-steering-pump-failure-on-blob-eye.html)

DJB3 23 January 2012 03:01 PM

Power steering pump failure on blob-eye

My steering has become very heavy in the last week or so and dealer says that the pump is failing. Problem much improved with lubrication of moving parts (presumably UJ) but problem still evident.

Anyone else has this happen on MY05 WRX? Seems very unusual judging by how little there is on searching. Most threads on failed power steering pumps are from pre-99 cars from what I can see.

D.

craigyp 23 January 2012 03:03 PM

Mine feels heavy on my 05 sti but not had it checked out

joz8968 23 January 2012 03:55 PM

I trust you've first checked the fluid level?

DJB3 23 January 2012 08:23 PM

Yes, fluid level always at MAX and no leaks evident. I hope that they've not got it wrong because I can't leave as it is and new pump is £600. I'm not planning to pay that and I've already sourced a recon unit for £230 inc vat.

D.

joz8968 23 January 2012 09:22 PM

I would have got one off a car being broken from a member on here! Would have picked it up for prob £50 max. I'm sure there are bound to be a few Blob's being broken... (?)

lee67 24 January 2012 01:44 PM

first things first i have a blob and recently my steering got heavy....even tho the fluid said max, i still topped it up slightly to make sure, and i also adjusted my belt for the right deflection..sorted mine and no probs since..

DonNedly 24 January 2012 01:50 PM

Can you hear any squeaking/screechinng coming from the pas pump?

Its quite an unusual problem on blobs these so get pump from a breaker.

Turbotits 24 January 2012 04:56 PM

It may just need a fluid change. when was it last changed? people tend to do engine oil gearbox oil coolant etc etc and forget p/s fluid. Its oil at the end of the day and goes off like any other oil.

DJB3 25 January 2012 10:45 AM

Beginning to think that pump might be ok.

The steering has now been normal for 2 longish journeys in a row. I squirted copious amounts of 3 in one onto the steering UJ 2 days ago. Dealer said joint was corroded and lubricated it last Saturday but it was still not quite right. Further lubrication seems to have resolved the problem, at least for now. Regarding oil change, I've no idea when it was last changed but had full dealer service history until last year. The oil does look very clear and is nice healthy looking red colour.

D.

joz8968 25 January 2012 11:39 AM

Smell it. If it smells burnt/oily, it needs changing. If sweet (and I'm guessing it still is, based on your description), then it'll be fine.

DJB3 25 January 2012 12:23 PM

Have already done this and it seems very slightly cooked. I suppose changing the oil isn't that difficult so I'll maybe try that next.

D.

DJB3 25 January 2012 12:32 PM

Something else which maybe relevant. A radiator hose developed a major leak a few months ago resulting in total loss of engine coolant. I limped home topping up with water when needed but ultimately the engine overheated a few times (not badly) before I got home because I ran out of water bottles! I had to stop regularly to let it cool down before continuing on. Perhaps this has damaged something or just cooked the oil.

D.