ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Garage doing working!! Advice needed! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/921726-garage-doing-working-advice-needed.html)

wiggy1 21 January 2012 03:12 PM

Garage doing working!! Advice needed!

Ive had problems for a while with my cooling system, ive had the head gaskets changed heads skimmed and pressure tested. new water pump, 2x new thermostats, new radiator.

When i came to put the engine back in it wouldnt start, so had it recovered by my breakdown company to a local garage to have the problem sorted, which turned out to be the cam sensor, and i had damaged the wiring to the sensor when removing(my fault)

When i paid the bill and left the garage it all seemed ok until i got 4 miles down the road and it over heated again, so called the garage to come and recover it.

On a quick inspection it seems there is no water flow through the heater matrix and radiator.

So bassically my question is where do i stand with the garage fixing this as i put the car in to have it back running properly, it seems to me that they havnt taken it out on a test drive, to test everything is working properly.

Any advice would be much welcome. cheers wiggy1

Bean1984 21 January 2012 03:15 PM

Tell them you not happy and the problem aint sorted mate....

wiggy1 21 January 2012 03:19 PM

yeh but it never orginally went in for a cooling fault. but i would hvave thought if they had of took it for a test drive they would have noticed this?

10bats 21 January 2012 03:19 PM

depends what you asked the garage to do?
if you have took your car in and asked them to make it run then they have done there bit.
did you iform them of all the work you have done yourself? did you ask them to check the work you have done? what have they charged you for?

bruce1986 21 January 2012 03:27 PM

i fell into this situation a few years back with my old 16v clio,was working away down devon and the clutch went so i thought,got it recovered and had a conversation over the phone,i said i think the clutch had gone not sure,400quid lighter and a new clutch fitted they dropped the car back to site for me on a flat bed,good service!jumped in to go back to the digs and the car would not move,phoned the garage only to be told that the gearbox was fukd but as i told them i thought it was the clutch thats what they changed,never id get it resolved and had a 12hr trip on a various aa trucks home

chopperman 21 January 2012 03:54 PM

Did you ask them to fix the cooling problem, did you even tell them about it?
Your car would not start, they identified the problem and fixed it.
When i was working as a motorcycle mechanic i used to get people put their bike in for a service. They thought this would fix all the issues they had with their bike. Wrong, a service is just a service. A garage will only do the work you have asked them to do.

wiggy1 21 January 2012 03:59 PM

never asked them asked them to fix the cooling system but i said it neede bleeding up as the engine had just been refiited so to me that seems as though they should have checked it throughly, and taking it for a proper run under load to ake sure its all working ok

stedee 21 January 2012 04:40 PM

nah mate, a sensor is a sensor they fixed that and it run, why would they check anything else. theyre not going to test drive it for a cam sensor, good job they didnt if you think about it.

10bats 21 January 2012 05:04 PM

ever since my car was last mot'd, my wife has left me and my dog has died, the garage wont compensate me! funaar funaar

wiggy1 21 January 2012 05:10 PM

Thats fair enough I kujust wanted to get some advise, cheers for all the help. Wiggy1

RICHARD J 21 January 2012 06:13 PM

They are not responsible for your cooling issues,but they should of spotted it on road test & advised you about it. Either re book it with them or take it else where but don't expect any freebees unless you are one of their best customers.

chopperman 21 January 2012 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by RICHARD J (Post 10444030)
They are not responsible for your cooling issues,but they should of spotted it on road test & advised you about it. Either re book it with them or take it else where but don't expect any freebees unless you are one of their best customers.

I doubt they would have road tested it with just a cam sensor being replaced.
They would just get the fault code, cross reference it to find the part at fault. Replaced it, started car up. Revved it a few times then kicked it out the work shop. What did he pay, about an hours labor i expect.

RICHARD J 24 January 2012 03:32 PM

Garage

Originally Posted by chopperman (Post 10444106)
I doubt they would have road tested it with just a cam sensor being replaced.
They would just get the fault code, cross reference it to find the part at fault. Replaced it, started car up. Revved it a few times then kicked it out the work shop. What did he pay, about an hours labor i expect.

Well Iv been a mechanic 25 years & I would always road test a non runner after repair to make sure all is OK. Maybe others would not but I like to be thorough & I rarely have a complaint.

alcazar 24 January 2012 05:06 PM

AFAIK, there IS no method of properly bleeding the cooloing system on an Impreza.

It's a case of drain and refill............VERY slowly.

wiggy1 24 January 2012 08:35 PM

in refernce to chopperman, i paid 305.23, needed some wiring re-doing on the loom my fault i nipped it as i put to inlet manifold back on, the only reason i put the post up is because the car was taken to the garage as a none runner so i would of expected it to get fully checked over and just wanted to get some opinions.

i have to admit though was shocked when i got the bill 46.00 an hour labour.

the hamster 24 January 2012 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10449366)
AFAIK, there IS no method of properly bleeding the cooloing system on an Impreza.

It's a case of drain and refill............VERY slowly.

Only way i've heard of is to run the car up to temperature with the cap off the header tank so the water pump pushes the air around until it escapes. I've done it a couple of times and it seems to work.

Sounds like the OP has a faulty water pump if its not circulating/cooling. :wonder:

wiggy1 24 January 2012 08:52 PM

It's had a new water pump, but it could still be at fault though, I'm leaving it with the garage the now they can sort, I've had enough of the bloody thing!!! But il love it when I get it back!