ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Unequal headers. (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/921092-unequal-headers.html)

ScoobySteve69 16 January 2012 04:40 PM

Unequal headers.

Could someone briefly explain the above? What difference do they make...performance / sound etc? Costs in buying, fitting???? Ta :D

AWG 16 January 2012 05:06 PM

I hear that's what give the characteristic burble? :wonder:

sbushby 16 January 2012 05:14 PM

Unequal will keep burble. I fitted equal before, and only sounded like a Scooby on idle:confused:. Was told you may get diffent power curve, but personally go for un equal and keep the proper noise :thumb:

L.J.F 16 January 2012 05:22 PM

Equal length headers allow better flow and give better torque gains but you lose the burble and instead have a awesome noise that sounds like a motor bike when at full chat:)

mitman2501 16 January 2012 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by AWG_STi (Post 10434701)
I hear that's what give the characteristic burble? :wonder:

That's right mate it does I wouldn't bother been there done that !!!! if your going to do it don't get cheap ones it wont pay off

ScoobySteve69 16 January 2012 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by L.J.F (Post 10434721)
Equal length headers allow better flow and give better torque gains but you lose the burble and instead have a awesome noise that sounds like a motor bike when at full chat:)

Ummm, well I assume I have equal ones but I have the burble :wonder: Def doesn`t sound like a 2 wheeled pest :lol1: Or did you mean unequal?

markjmd 16 January 2012 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69 (Post 10434658)
Could someone briefly explain the above? What difference do they make...performance / sound etc? Costs in buying, fitting???? Ta :D

Except for new-age JDM STIs, all scoobs come as standard with unequal headers, so your question doesn't really make a lot of sense.

It's equal headers that people most often fit as an after-market part, if they change their headers at all.

ScoobySteve69 16 January 2012 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 10434870)
Except for new-age JDM STIs, all scoobs come as standard with unequal headers, so your question doesn't really make a lot of sense.

It's equal headers that people most often fit as an after-market part, if they change their headers at all.

Ooooohhhh, sounds like I got it wrong way round :oops:

uk300scoob 17 January 2012 01:44 PM

port your standard headers and get a decent up pipe you will get better gains and quicker spool up unless your going for 400+ bhp dont put s/s headers on

markjmd 17 January 2012 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by uk300scoob (Post 10436226)
port your standard headers and get a decent up pipe you will get better gains and quicker spool up unless your going for 400+ bhp dont put s/s headers on

+1, or get an exchange set of wrapped and ported from Harvey. :thumb:

alex_00s 17 January 2012 02:03 PM

equal length headers will give you a power increase (after mapping), but you'll loose the scooby burble - it'll sound more like an evo esp if you have a twin scroll (as per the new age jdms).

as said, port your oem unequal headers and get a trick up-pipe off Harvey for better spoll up :thumb:

lee67 17 January 2012 04:01 PM

i think the equal/unequal often gets mentioned with the sports..i myself fitted some borla unequal headers to my sport to give me that much needed burble...sounds like it should do now..