ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Engine light after oil change!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/920900-engine-light-after-oil-change.html)

scooby red 15 January 2012 04:27 PM

Engine light after oil change!!

Hi, just changed oil and filter on the scoob, did the usual priming the filter and turning over with the crank sensor disconnected after refill.
After happy with level etc reconnected crank sensor and left engine running for a short while, while reversing off the drive i noticed engine light on.
Turned the ign key off left it 10 mins then restarted and no more engine light. Took it for a short run and no problems.
Is this common and what would be the reason for engine light? Is it anything to do with crank sensor being disconnected?
cheers

JonMc 15 January 2012 04:30 PM

Yes, the ECU will see a fault with the crank sensor and the CEL will light up. Quite often they need to be cleared with an ECU reset so you've saved yourself that grief if it's gone by itself.

L.J.F 15 January 2012 04:31 PM

Yeah it happened to me before, nothing to worry about mate.

scooby red 15 January 2012 04:35 PM

Cool, cheers fellas

markietay 15 January 2012 04:42 PM

I think it clears after 3 starts?? normal dont worry.

cster 15 January 2012 06:10 PM

Next time, instead of disconnecting the crank sensor, why don't you try turning the engine over with the throttle floored?
So much easier in my experience (MY06 WRX).

ScoobySteve69 15 January 2012 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by cster (Post 10432856)
Next time, instead of disconnecting the crank sensor, why don't you try turning the engine over with the throttle floored?
So much easier in my experience (MY06 WRX).

What`s the benefit of that?

Scoobyno1 15 January 2012 06:50 PM

It won't throw up any cel lights

JonMc 15 January 2012 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Scoobyno1 (Post 10432990)
It won't throw up any cel lights

Neither will running a lead from the starter straight to the battery (with the ignition off) and cranking it on the starter for 30 seconds, can also pull the fuse for the fuel pump - plenty of ways of getting the oil pressure up:thumb:

cster 15 January 2012 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69 (Post 10432972)
What`s the benefit of that?

Well you can do it from the comfort of the drivers seat with the bonnet shut for a start.
You don't want to go pissing about with disconnecting wires for no good reason do you? Anyway, on my car, they are not easily accessible.

beastturbo 15 January 2012 08:12 PM

Wats wrong with just changing the oil and starting the car as normal?
I have always done this on my previous cars

Looking to change the oil soon on mine.... Are there any other things I need to know about changing the oil on a scoobyclinic
Mines a 2003 sit

Cheers

360ste 15 January 2012 10:29 PM

I have read many comments on here and SIDC about disconnecting sensors then spin engine over prior to starting. Like 'beastturbo' I changed then started on previous cars and for the last 8 years on my scooby. Prefill the filter before fitting then start it and let idle for 5 minutes stop and check level. Car is currently at 104k milesruns lovely at a nice 440 bhp. Please lets not get PSLewis awake and commenting.

beastturbo 15 January 2012 10:48 PM

That's how I have always previously done an oil change but not done it on my scoob yet... Been paying the garage so it gets a stamp but think it's past the point of worrying about that know so gonna save a few quid an do it myself;)

Wat oil do u recommend ? Also how much does the engine hold roughly

Cheers:thumb:

Bristol98 16 January 2012 10:38 AM

4.5 litres, 10w40 or 50.........

beastturbo 16 January 2012 07:34 PM

What make are people using I'm pressuming fully synthetic

chrisdicko 16 January 2012 10:20 PM

Lots of people will recommend lots of different types.

I use this though http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-864-motu...ngine-oil.aspx