ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   aftermark ecus (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/920592-aftermark-ecus.html)

matt077 13 January 2012 02:16 PM

aftermark ecus

hi all

total newbie to the scooby world and i'm learning by the min :thumb:

been looking at ecu's for the classic shapes, which ones are out there and which ones do people run?

i'm looking for one for mine soon which is a classic wagon 1997, dont care if its new or 2nd hand. i like the sound of the simtek set ups being that u can hav anti lag on them

Ryan@Indigo-GT 13 January 2012 03:36 PM

I'm personally aware of Impreza's that run;

Apexi Power FC's
Hydra Nemesis
Simtek
Autronics
ViPec
Gems
Motec

There are others out there but those are the ones I'm personally aware of, all have varying costs and naturally varying features, the first thing I'd recommend you do is decide what your long terms plans are and take it from there

jimmyinrugby 13 January 2012 03:44 PM

The above is the expensive way,no need,go with an ESL,well well cheapier and does all the same !

addi monster 13 January 2012 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyinrugby (Post 10428820)
The above is the expensive way,no need,go with an ESL,well well cheapier and does all the same !

its cheaper for a reason, the logging is not no way near as good as the simtek, you cant have any toys like launch control or anti lag on the esl so if i were you i would go for the simtek, i have had them both from new and would not have another esl,. steve

mnem1c 13 January 2012 03:51 PM

Depends if you want switchable maps and a/l and l/c ;)

jimmyinrugby 13 January 2012 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by addi monster (Post 10428830)
its cheaper for a reason, the logging is not no way near as good as the simtek, you cant have any toys like launch control or anti lag on the esl so if i were you i would go for the simtek, i have had them both from new and would not have another esl,. steve

They are if not allready got over this,so yes you can or will be able to very soon :thumb:

Blue by You 13 January 2012 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyinrugby (Post 10428820)

Jimmy, with the greatest respect mate, you've been here 5 minutes and have confessed quite openly to knowing bu99er all about scoobs.
If an ESL was capable of doing an identical job to the more upmarket ECUs then Syvecs, Motec, Autronic et al would all be out of business.
Why would anybody pay well over a grand for an ECU that does nothing better than a unit costing a few hundred quid?

jimmyinrugby 13 January 2012 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Blue by You (Post 10428897)
Jimmy, with the greatest respect mate, you've been here 5 minutes and have confessed quite openly to knowing bu99er all about scoobs.
If an ESL was capable of doing an identical job to the more upmarket ECUs then Syvecs, Motec, Autronic et al would all be out of business.
Why would anybody pay well over a grand for an ECU that does nothing better than a unit costing a few hundred quid?

My mistake dude...I will corect myself...An ESL can't do 100% the same job as say a simtek,but an ESL will do if not can have a/l and l/c on mate.I know as I have had an ESL fitted to one of my cars last month.I was told it will be coming early next year (being this year)
If the OP doesn't want to spend a bag of sand nor does he want 500bhp an ESL with his car is the way to go :thumb:

alcazar 13 January 2012 05:22 PM

I wonder if he has ever read his own "signature"?

trails 13 January 2012 05:26 PM

standard ECU has full knock correction Simtek does not.

Blue by You 13 January 2012 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyinrugby (Post 10428994)
My mistake dude...I will corect myself...An ESL can't do 100% the same job as say a simtek

Fair enough :thumb:
My point was that, with the OP being a newbie, the worst advice you can get is poor advice.
BTW there's an awful lot more to aftermarket ECUs than pops and bangs and launch control. ;)

Turbotits 13 January 2012 05:46 PM

The simtek has s faster proccesor than the o/e ecu i believe. Also the simtek can do twin maps. Can the esl? Btw. I dont know the answer?

initialD 13 January 2012 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Blue by You (Post 10429017)
Fair enough :thumb:
My point was that, with the OP being a newbie, the worst advice you can get is poor advice.
BTW there's an awful lot more to aftermarket ECUs than pops and bangs and launch control. ;)

all though the pops and bangs are a nice touch ;)

jimmyinrugby 13 January 2012 06:15 PM

The pops and bangs is the a/l ?...Feck having l/c,I would do my gearbox by the time I left Micky D's car park ! PMSL !!
I did think of a Simtek for the custard car,but optted for the ESL @ £550 fitted and mapped plus 70 quid for a 3 port ... Purly as I wasn't going to shuv 400+ bhp through it.
From what I read I think the ESL is a cheapier unit but in theory does the same thing.

Tidgy 13 January 2012 06:36 PM

lol, i think you need to slow down a bit, why do you need anti lag? when it damages the car, and laucnh control can be just as bad.

Syvecs is by far the best aftermarket ecu out there without spend 10k+ however unless your going for a new engine build i would expect esl will be perfectly functional and save you a fortune.

A/L and L/C are pub gimics on road cars.

jimmyinrugby 13 January 2012 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 10429141)
lol, i think you need to slow down a bit, why do you need anti lag? when it damages the car, and laucnh control can be just as bad.

Syvecs is by far the best aftermarket ecu out there without spend 10k+ however unless your going for a new engine build i would expect esl will be perfectly functional and save you a fortune.

A/L and L/C are pub gimics on road cars.

:thumb:

matt077 13 January 2012 09:55 PM

where can i get a esl from? any dealers out there?

jimmyinrugby 13 January 2012 10:06 PM

Duncan...He will come to you anywhere,his number is 07540 185 754.Mention me !

RA Dunk 13 January 2012 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by initialD (Post 10429076)
all though the pops and bangs are a nice touch ;)

All the little girls down MaccyD's love pops and bangs and chavhorns too.

barnshaw 13 January 2012 10:55 PM

im still yet to this day to pick up a girl because she likes my car popping and banging, most people look at me in disgust

jimmyinrugby 13 January 2012 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 10429743)
All the little girls down MaccyD's love pops and bangs and chavhorns too.

I'm in there every dam night,still can't find any !! :o

stedee 13 January 2012 11:25 PM

the later esl board does have twin maps btw, simtek have had their problems remember injector drivers???i do think the esl does have good features and remember its newer thats why its cheaper

but what is probably more important is who maps it and what do they feel most confident in mapping, alot say power fc funny enough

jimmyinrugby 13 January 2012 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by stedee (Post 10429852)
the later esl board does have twin maps btw, simtek have had their problems remember injector drivers???i do think the esl does have good features and remember its newer thats why its cheaper

but what is probably more important is who maps it and what do they feel most confident in mapping, alot say power fc funny enough

Very true,I have had an ESL last month and a Bugeye mapped this week with Duncan,I'm happy with the result both times,the ESL pulled some bloody mad high numbers,I couldn't beleive it !!!

yabbadoo4 14 January 2012 01:46 AM

surely its all about the level of tuning then take it from there? i have a my96 wagon and i have the usual mods td05, 3 port solenoid, set of 440,s to go on and i bought an apexi and commander which i think will suit me fine for the power im hoping to acheive (circa 300-320). an esl would be fine for this level as well and according to steves facebook page a/l and l/c are in the works on the newer board if thats your thing (i cant stand it myself) moving up to the next levels of power then i think you would want to be looking at the more expensive options for ecu,s eg syvecs ,autronic and simtek etc. apexi ecu,s are kinda considered old technology now but still do a fine job. if andy forrest still supplys and maps them on his site then they obviously still do the job

alcazar 14 January 2012 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by barnshaw (Post 10429757)
im still yet to this day to pick up a girl because she likes my car popping and banging, most people look at me in disgust

But YOU have to NOT look like Dai Fatbelly-Gutbucket, darts player extraordinaire!:D

Not that I'm saying you do, but.......:lol1::lol1::lol1:

monkfish2 14 January 2012 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by jimmyinrugby (Post 10429810)
I'm in there every dam night,still can't find any !! :o

:nono::eek:

Andy Stevens 17 January 2012 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by mnem1c (Post 10428835)
Depends if you want switchable maps and a/l and l/c ;)

ESL has switchable maps, motorpsort features are in development.

Andy Stevens 17 January 2012 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Blue by You (Post 10428897)

How many of those ECUs offer:

Switchable Maps
MAF or MAFless option switchable in software
3D Boost Control
Closed Loop Knock Control
Closed Loop Fuel
Closed Loop Idle
Diagnostic Control Codes

Andy Stevens 17 January 2012 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by jimmyinrugby (Post 10428994)
My mistake dude...I will corect myself...An ESL can't do 100% the same job as say a simtek,but an ESL will do if not can have a/l and l/c on mate.I know as I have had an ESL fitted to one of my cars last month.I was told it will be coming early next year (being this year)
If the OP doesn't want to spend a bag of sand nor does he want 500bhp an ESL with his car is the way to go :thumb:

There are two cars I know of running ESL boards at circa 500bhp. There is no upper power limit.

Andy Stevens 17 January 2012 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by addi monster (Post 10428830)

The new software has excellent logging capabilites, will record any number of channels out to a CSV log file for viewing.