ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   Hawkeye Headlight Levelling (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/920477-hawkeye-headlight-levelling.html)

weatherman 28 September 2012 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by ajsscooby (Post 10796720)
That's a good point, they should be correct then, but it sounds like one of the "new" sensors may not be working properly.

If you still have your old ones it is worth plugging your old REAR one into the front connector (you don't have to fit the sensor - just plug it in) as a test.
Theory behind this is that the rear ones seem to last a bit longer and may still work.

If it makes no difference then try plugging it into the rear.

Good luck!

I'll go back to where I got them fitted. They said at the time that replacing just the front or just the rear ones didn't extinguish the warning light, they both needed to be replaced, which did extinguish the light. I don't know what exactly has to go wrong with the sensor to trigger the light, whether it's short circuiting due to water ingress or a lack of a properly connected sensor.
Perhaps the lever arms are still the ones from my own car and they are connected the wrong way round - would the sensor itself be electrically corrected the right way round in this case and therefore no warning lights? Either that or the lever arms are siezed up again, as well as having had dodgy sensors!

Will let you know of any further outcome

weatherman 05 October 2012 07:00 PM

Turns out they needed manually reset at the lights end, a battery power cycle wasn't enough. Whether that only applies to when moving to another vehicle or not I don't know.....

S3LDM 09 October 2012 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by weatherman (Post 10816140)
Turns out they needed manually reset at the lights end, a battery power cycle wasn't enough. Whether that only applies to when moving to another vehicle or not I don't know.....

How did they manually reset at the light end do you know..?

Cheers

speedking 11 October 2012 09:54 AM

When my lights are low I don't get the warning light illuminated. I'll get the wheels off and have a clean up this weekend.

weatherman 11 October 2012 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by lee mclaughlan (Post 10821151)
How did they manually reset at the light end do you know..?

Cheers

Sorry no but subsequently I found this from the workshop manual
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1hvcnal8eg...0BEV11_620.pdf

When parts related to the auto headlight beam leveler system are removed or replaced, perform the following procedures to initialize or reinitialize.

NOTE:

Before performing initialization or reinitialization, check the following:

Vehicle is parked on a level surface.

The inflation pressure of tires is correct.

Unload any cargo from the vehicle.

Vehicles fuel tank is fully filled.

Refer to the following chart to determine whether to initialize or reinitialize.

Initialization

When the auto headlight beam leveler control module has been replaced with a new module.

Reinitialization

When the auto headlight beam leveler control module has been replaced with a part from a different vehicle.

When suspension parts have been removed or replaced.

(Crossmember, front arm, housing, lateral link, strut)

When the vehicle height sensor has been replaced or removed.

1. INITIALIZATION

1. Confirm that the indicator in the meter is repeatedly flashing twice.

2. Bounce the vehicle several times to normalize the suspension.

3. Make certain that someone is seated in the drivers seat.

4. Turn the ignition switch to ON, and, within 1.5 20 seconds, turn the headlight switch OFF ⇒ ON three or more successive times.

5. Confirm that the indicator in the meter flashes three times and turns OFF, completing the initialization. (At this time, the headlight beam drops once, and then returns to the original position.)

6. Perform beam adjustment for the headlight.

2. REINITIALIZATION

1. Bounce the vehicle several times to normalize the suspension.

2. Make certain that someone is seated in the drivers seat.

3. Turn the ignition switch to ON, and, within 1.5 10 seconds, turn the headlight switch OFF ⇒ ON five or more successive times.

4. Check that the headlight beam drops once, then returns to normal.

5. After confirming 4), turn the ignition switch to OFF within 30 seconds.

6. Turn the ignition switch to ON again, and, within 1.5 10 seconds, turn the headlight switch OFF ⇒ ON five or more successive times.

7. Make sure that the indicator in the meter flashes three times and then turns OFF, indicating that reinitialization has been successfully completed. (At this time, the headlight beam lowers once, and then returns to the original position.)

8. Perform beam adjustment for the headlight.

CAUTION:

If the indicator does not flash three times or the headlight beam does not operate, it can be assumed that there is an open circuit or faulty wiring in the harness of the headlight beam leveler control module, rear vehicle height sensors or headlight assembly. Perform inspection and repair according to the inspection results, then perform initialization/reinitialization again.

S3LDM 12 October 2012 04:57 PM

Thanks Weatherman...https://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/g...smiley-003.gif

After inspection found that it is the front sensor I need, as one of the 3 pin's has snapped due to water ingress.

Going to source a second hand replacement shortly

speedking 15 October 2012 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Gonewrongmark (Post 10791561)
Any one got any pics as to where the sensors are. Just incase I'm looking at the wrong things !!!

Front:
http://www.speebee.co.uk/photos/IMG_0064_small.jpg

Rear:
http://www.speebee.co.uk/photos/IMG_0069_small.jpg

HTH

speedking 18 October 2012 01:18 PM

OK. So I undid both connectors and reconnected them with additional waterproofing.

My lights are still pointing at the front bumper. The self-leveller warning light only illuminates when the ignition is turned on, doesn't even flicker at any other time.

So because I have disconnected, do I need to do the on/off/on/off/on flicky malarkey from post#65 to reset the brain? I guess I would do re-initialisation. By "indicator in the meter" do they mean the warning light in the dash cluster?

Thanks for any advice. Want to try and get this sorted without stumping up 500.

weatherman 18 October 2012 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 10833690)
OK. So I undid both connectors and reconnected them with additional waterproofing.

My lights are still pointing at the front bumper. The self-leveller warning light only illuminates when the ignition is turned on, doesn't even flicker at any other time.

So because I have disconnected, do I need to do the on/off/on/off/on flicky malarkey from post#65 to reset the brain? I guess I would do re-initialisation. By "indicator in the meter" do they mean the warning light in the dash cluster?

Thanks for any advice. Want to try and get this sorted without stumping up 500.

I would guess "yes" to all of the above. Certainly worth a punt to avoid half a grand! Though as you didn't ever get the warning light other than at startup (which is normal incidentally) there's no guarantee you've fixed anything.....

speedking 19 October 2012 12:37 PM

So I drove home last night. 1/2 an hour in the dark, dipped beam, main beam, fast, bumpy roads, tight corners, up hill and down dale, and the lights behaved perfectly.

So now I am reluctant to initialise in case I bu66er something up.

Sort of happy, but there's an underlying doubt now about the lights, and it's difficult driving with my fingers crossed :lol1:

Gonewrongmark 11 November 2012 12:19 PM

Does any one no where I can get a front sensor and plug from as 1 of the 3 pins has snap. Plus the nut coming out of the sensor has snap to dew to rust. Any help would please...

alcazar 11 November 2012 12:43 PM

Dealer, Import car parts, scrapper.

In order of expense, most expensive first.

Aquanaut 18 June 2013 01:11 PM

first the sensor then ...

just had the bill for a new front sensor but now that the sensor works it would seem one of my adjustment motors is bust.
Stealer says Subaru don't sell the motor on its own just a whole headlight unit - EXPENSIVE.

Does anyone have details of the headlight motor and where to source just the motor at a decent price?

Ta

grey_boy 05 July 2013 12:11 AM

Scooby Spares

Just purchased a Spec D with the fault light on...:thumb:
Turned out the rear sensor was snapped and seized... or seized then snapped more like.. anyways..

Spoke to a really great guy at Scooby Spares, Scott. Thanks chap.. will be in touch again as they are good guys.

They are breaking a Spec D and he had one sensor complete, on the shelf we agreed a price..a good price 80 sovs, only yesterday. I paid da man and it arrived today! WTF- quick... and fitted by my nimble hands it went on a dream. Reset and took for quick lane sesh...and seems 100%. Bonus is the rear sensor switch part looks intact and will be a spare. It will fit front and rear and touch wood ( not cloth) that this lower cost fix will last me a while..

Got to say try Scott for your spares at Scooby Spares

grey_boy 05 July 2013 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Aquanaut (Post 11124592)
just had the bill for a new front sensor but now that the sensor works it would seem one of my adjustment motors is bust.
Stealer says Subaru don't sell the motor on its own just a whole headlight unit - EXPENSIVE.

Does anyone have details of the headlight motor and where to source just the motor at a decent price?

Ta

Try Scooby Spares- see above post and link from me. Just dealt with them and great service... hoping for commission on sales! :cool:

Bartek Lazarecki 17 July 2013 02:21 PM

Front & Rear sensor prize ?!

Hi guys,

I have exactly the same problem. I still don't know which sensor is not working properly. When I called local dealer in Oldham they said 229 pounds for front sensor + VAT. Sick prize. Then I decide to call Dealer in Poland only to find out that they can sell it for 108 pounds imported from Germany. I'm sure that it will fit to all EU/us models. So probably next week I will order one and my brother will send it to UK. Why dealers in UK are trying to rip us off ???

Steve's Sti 17 July 2013 03:07 PM

i modified a 2008 impreza R one 2 years ago and yet it still works fine cost 40 quid worth it than 254+ vat each, my lights used to hit the sky and blind every one

weatherman 24 February 2015 12:31 PM

Gone again?

Grrr, lights now pointing too high all of a sudden. Although I thought of WD-40'ing the suspension arms as a first attempt at a remedy, as the car is parked normally with its nose lower than its tail and they might be seized, I am struggling to think how the could be seized, as they would surely be forced to obey the changes in the car's suspension, or they would break!

No warning lights or beam pointing to the road, which is what I got the last time.
Stuart

justin price 11 June 2015 08:58 PM

Anybody got any idea where I can get the sensor and connector from because one of the pins has corroded to nothing and the light is permanently on the dash. I've got my MOT next month and have looked everywhere bar main dealers. Cars a sti 07

speedking 12 June 2015 12:53 AM

Main dealer was the only source I could find.

andynormancx 06 September 2015 03:57 PM

I've just attempted to fix mine on my 07 Spec D. It didn't go as planned.

I'd bought both front and rear assemblies from Poland (via eBay). I managed to accidentally buy a front Forester one rather than a front Impreza one :(

Not the end of the world though, as everything but the top bracket appears to be common. So I just reused the top old bracket.

When I disconnected the front sensor I found that one of the pins in the sensor had broken off and was stuck in the plug on the loom. I tried to remove the broken off pin from the loom but it just wasn't possible.

In the end I just plugged the sensor in carefully. It plugged in ok and when I removed it again the broken off pin was no where to be seen.

The warning light then went out and I thought I'd got away with it. However the reinitialization steps aren't resulting in the warning light flashing at the end, so I suspect it isn't actually working :cry:

Does anyone know whether the loom plug is even available from dealers ?

Shaggyrodgers 02 February 2016 10:58 AM

Plug

Hi, I can see this thread has been running for some time but I have this problem. One pin has snapped off within the plug and cannot be removed. I need a new plug as I have a sensor but cannot find one. Any help would be greatly received as upcoming MOT.

andynormancx 02 February 2016 11:34 AM

I managed to solve it to get through the MOT, but it was all a bit of a bodge.

I discovered that the pin pitch was the same as the headers used all over the place in electronics. So I picked up a 3 pin female connector normally used on PC motherboard fans.

That fitted the pins in the sensor perfectly. I then had an auto electrician wire it into the loom for me. He kept the old plug in the loom, in case I sort out redoing the internals of it at some point.

At the moment the connector is just relying on a friction fit to stay in place and a generous amount of copper grease to waterproof it. I really should come up with a more permanent solution.

However, I dare say my current setup is more resistant to water than Subaru's daft setup with the front sensor mounted so water can flow down into the plug...

slo7899 02 March 2016 09:28 PM

Hi all. Discovered That the front bottem bracket on my sensor has snapped. Would this be the right part. It is for a hawk wrx sti 07. http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Fores...536?nav=SEARCH

Cheers.

Beastie 04 March 2016 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by slo7899 (Post 11804669)
Hi all. Discovered That the front bottem bracket on my sensor has snapped. Would this be the right part. It is for a hawk wrx sti 07. http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Fores...536?nav=SEARCH

Cheers.

I don't think that is the right one.

Look here: http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...y=&searchPart=

slo7899 04 March 2016 08:14 AM

Awesome, cheers mate.

BenWRXSEI 26 April 2016 01:32 PM

Joy of joys, mine has started doing this now as well. Based on previous comments I've focussed my initial efforts on the front sensor - pulled it off (pins seem OK at least), gave it a good clean up and a dousing of WD40 and all was well for a few days. Sadly whilst halfway up the M6 last night they dropped to the floor again :(

After the car sits for a while they seem to raise back to their normal height on start up, before dropping back down again shortly after. I'll order new sensors front and rear, but in the meantime would be grateful if somebody could clear up a couple of queries!

1) How can I disconnect the headlights from the sensors so that they stay at a fixed level? Can this be done without tools (as I'm away from home)? I realise this will put the warning light on, but I've got a long drive home in a couple of evenings' time...

2) Those who have replaced both sensors with new, did you have to do any of the resetting procedures?

Thanks in advance... :)

Rusti 18 May 2016 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by BenWRXSEI (Post 11825568)
Joy of joys, mine has started doing this now as well. Based on previous comments I've focussed my initial efforts on the front sensor - pulled it off (pins seem OK at least), gave it a good clean up and a dousing of WD40 and all was well for a few days. Sadly whilst halfway up the M6 last night they dropped to the floor again :(

After the car sits for a while they seem to raise back to their normal height on start up, before dropping back down again shortly after. I'll order new sensors front and rear, but in the meantime would be grateful if somebody could clear up a couple of queries!

1) How can I disconnect the headlights from the sensors so that they stay at a fixed level? Can this be done without tools (as I'm away from home)? I realise this will put the warning light on, but I've got a long drive home in a couple of evenings' time...

2) Those who have replaced both sensors with new, did you have to do any of the resetting procedures?

Thanks in advance... :)

Awesome literally this week my light is coming on and going off temporarily :cry:

have a look at this post buddy, it explains about removing plug from light ECU.
https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-a...ing-light.html

Rusti 18 May 2016 08:25 AM

In addition this last weekend the car was up on axle stands front and back, I have a hunch this might have messed it up, thinking of doing the reset, thoughts?

BenWRXSEI 18 May 2016 12:57 PM

Thanks Rusti, hadn't spotted that thread. My car is in at a trusted local indy for a few bits, and they've bee scratching their heads about it. Apparently they've tried to communicate with the control module to read error codes and can't access it :/

Frustratingly, my lights now seem ok most of the time, but will still take the occasional opportunity to dive to the floor. Usually when I'm stopped at a junction or something.

Your comment about the axle stands has got me thinking though... mine first started playing up when I replaced the rear struts. I'll give the reset a whirl and see if it improves matters.