ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Is it worth owning a Scoob any more? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/920233-is-it-worth-owning-a-scoob-any-more.html)

alcazar 10 January 2012 03:05 PM

Is it worth owning a Scoob any more?

Just found out that our one remaining Shell station closes this week to re-open as "Alpha Power" or something on Monday.

We had TWO, now we have none, and the nearest V-Power is now 30 miles away.:(

Yes, Tesco sell 99 Momentum, but they are very hit and miss, being out of stock approximately one in every two tries.:mad:

And of course, the famed Tossco Customer Care comes in, and they never know when they will have any back in stock, and treat you like a fool and a knave for asking:cuckoo:

So.........what do others do?

Octane booster?
Remap to 95 octane?
Remap to Esso 97 octane?

53 10 January 2012 03:06 PM

Similar situation here, T99 only :)

f1_fan 10 January 2012 03:10 PM

Octane booster would be my suggestion. When I had a DC2 Integra I used to carry a bottle around in the boot just in case and it saved me on several occasions. Car runs just as sweet with it, just make sure you get the measure right.

stevemoir 10 January 2012 04:15 PM

You could always get the car mapped for 95 Ron and when your going to the track switch back to the v power

I used the tactrix open port and that saved me quite a few times especially on the motorway:)

Steve

KAS35RSTI 10 January 2012 04:25 PM

Time for some Methanol.

chopperman 10 January 2012 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10423309)
Just found out that our one remaining Shell station closes this week to re-open as "Alpha Power" or something on Monday.

We had TWO, now we have none, and the nearest V-Power is now 30 miles away.:(

Yes, Tesco sell 99 Momentum, but they are very hit and miss, being out of stock approximately one in every two tries.:mad:

And of course, the famed Tossco Customer Care comes in, and they never know when they will have any back in stock, and treat you like a fool and a knave for asking:cuckoo:

So.........what do others do?

Octane booster?
Remap to 95 octane?
Remap to Esso 97 octane?

If i were going to get it re-mapped i would have it mapped for 97ron (super) rather than 95ron (standard).
hopefully with the shell stations closing more peeps will be demanding momentum99 at tesco and they will get their act together.
Why not write to tesco head office and tell them the situation?

JohnD 10 January 2012 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=alcazar;10423309]Just found out that our one remaining Shell station closes this week to re-open as "Alpha Power" or something on Monday.

Check with the garage owner - it might still actually be Shell in the tanks!

JohnD

brendy76 10 January 2012 04:47 PM

Can you not simply use 95/97 and add the recommended dose of the likes of NF octane booster?

bonesetter 10 January 2012 04:53 PM

It's dubious if Octane booster is 100% effective, if at all

alcazar 10 January 2012 04:54 PM

[quote=JohnD;10423443]

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10423309)

Check with the garage owner - it might still actually be Shell in the tanks!

JohnD

I would think it would be for a few days, but then?
Anyone heard of this "Alpha Power?"

Scooby Arthur 10 January 2012 04:54 PM

Had mine mapped on 95, no super round here so seemed the safest option.

alcazar 10 January 2012 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by brendy76 (Post 10423449)
Can you not simply use 95/97 and add the recommended dose of the likes of NF octane booster?

Takes a LOT of O/B to get from 95->99 octane.

joz8968 10 January 2012 05:05 PM

****! Are ALL Shell forecourts going to be 'turned' into another brand/company then?

tattooRick 10 January 2012 05:08 PM

id say it is worth owning one, as when you drive it, even in standard trim it still puts a smile on your face. if you do decide to mod just dont use andrew carr as your mapper he leaves them running lean and a week later you have no car. learnt the hard way.

gtisid 10 January 2012 05:09 PM

after the debacle of 2.5 engines blowing up at random, some cars only running on v power and bearing in mind the subaru is probably one of the most uneconomical cars ever to turn a wheel, no new hot models in the pipeline, piss poor parts service i would have to concur that it is not worth owning a subaru anymore.
don't miss it, best days work i ever did selling mine even at a 7k loss in 2 years and with 1500 in maintenance.
finally i have money in my pocket again !!

would i do it again though.........................yeah probably, but not in a hatch :lol

tubbytommy 10 January 2012 05:18 PM

as an everday car no
a toy yes

MattyB1983 10 January 2012 05:43 PM

I would never use octane booster, would much rather drive the extra few miles and get some V-Power.

53 10 January 2012 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by bonesetter (Post 10423460)
It's dubious if Octane booster is 100% effective, if at all

If you monitor knock on the Apexi commander you quieten things down even more with a splash of NF ;)

dazdavies 10 January 2012 05:58 PM

Pop up the road to the Esso Garage and put 97 in. I've done just that as Tesco had no Momentum or whatever they call it.

I was on fumes when I filled up and nailed it home down the M180, no check engine light to tell me the Syvecs had retarded the timing.

You're hardly going to blow your engine up by dropping 2 Octane points.

jef 10 January 2012 05:59 PM

this is one of my fears tbh,

i really hope shell are just changing franchises ect or trying to freshen up image ect, rahter than just ditch stations

there not introuble to start selling assests are they?

chief-long-shin 10 January 2012 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10423516)
as an everday car no
a toy yes

I use mine as an everyday car and have some minor thanks that I live 3 miles from work and give it the occasional clean out.

That said i concur owning one is like having an addiction that you refuse no matter how much you feather the throttle to truely acknowledge during ownership but relish laughing upon others post sale.

They are thirsty ****s... and I definitely noticed going from a 300lb torque diesel mapped leon to a rex lol.

Ah well. :cuckoo:

jef 10 January 2012 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by dazdavies (Post 10423567)
Pop up the road to the Esso Garage and put 97 in. I've done just that as Tesco had no Momentum or whatever they call it.

I was on fumes when I filled up and nailed it home down the M180, no check engine light to tell me the Syvecs had retarded the timing.

You're hardly going to blow your engine up by dropping 2 Octane points.

is that true mate?

having spent 10k on an engine i want fckn zero knock lol,

but im all to aware of internet myths and halfs truths on things wher people may have a vested interest, so to speak lol.

topshot 10 January 2012 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by jef (Post 10423569)
this is one of my fears tbh,

i really hope shell are just changing franchises ect or trying to freshen up image ect, rahter than just ditch stations

there not introuble to start selling assests are they?

Not judging by their profits :lol1:

Spoilt for choice here 2 shell, 1 tesco :p

cuprajake 10 January 2012 07:13 PM

How often do you fill up, takes me about 2-3 weeks to do a tank, personally I would do the extra 30 miles, it'll cost more in octaine booster than you will loose getting there.

jh1-2009 10 January 2012 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by topshot (Post 10423619)
Not judging by their profits :lol1:

Spoilt for choice here 2 shell, 1 tesco :p

Same here all within 2 miles:thumb:

tubbytommy 10 January 2012 07:18 PM

my tesco may be different but i have never had a problem getting 99ron in 3 years since they started stocking it.

alcazar 10 January 2012 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by cuprajake (Post 10423751)
How often do you fill up, takes me about 2-3 weeks to do a tank, personally I would do the extra 30 miles, it'll cost more in octaine booster than you will loose getting there.

It would be a 60-mile round trip, so 2.5 GALLONS used.
That would make it VERY dear fuel:(

Steve Whitehorn 10 January 2012 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10423516)
as an everday car no
a toy yes

snap :thumb:

Scooby1975 10 January 2012 08:12 PM

I use mine as a daily driver and see it as a treat to myself - I work hard as many others do so deserve it.

I am fortunate to live where I have both a Shell and a Tesco within one mile of my house, and another Tesco within 4 miles. The Shell recently having undergone a major overhall and being the services on a main road North so it will not be closing.

I guess I could get a cheaper car , cheaper to run, insure , tax and look after but I like my Subaru and everything it stands for. After a hard day at work there are few things more pleasing than getting in the car and enjoying it.

brendy76 10 January 2012 08:14 PM

For every tank of fuel you use it works out cheaper using 95 and NF booster than using 99/ultimate and apparently a bottle lasts more than one fill up.