ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Hello (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/920068-hello.html)

aaronsautos 09 January 2012 03:26 PM

Hello

Hi guys

I am looking at buying a blob eye scooby wrx for track days and general fun, I have been driving a heavily track modified Megane RS225 but a few of my friends have gone for high powered classic scoobys and EVO 4's.
What are the blob wrx's like on track and in general ? can they take the stick you give them on track ?

Cheers

Aaron

tubbytommy 09 January 2012 03:56 PM

if your running high power i would think the 5 speed box in a wrx would be the weak point
possibly better buying an sti as it would have a six speed box which is stronger and also brembo brakes and more power from standard.
also if your modding for more power it has a better engine with avc heads

aaronsautos 09 January 2012 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10421125)
if your running high power i would think the 5 speed box in a wrx would be the weak point
possibly better buying an sti as it would have a six speed box which is stronger and also brembo brakes and more power from standard.
also if your modding for more power it has a better engine with avc heads

How much do you reckon for a Bug or Blob sti ??

tubbytommy 09 January 2012 04:10 PM

not sure mate check on piston heads i would say about 4.5 to 5 k for a bug and 6k for a blob.
if you have the money go for a late blob 05 on as it will have wider track and dccd gearbox

aaronsautos 09 January 2012 04:18 PM

was thinking of spending 4-4.5 i believe the later blob 05 has a better chassis setup in the sti & wrx ?? so it would be an old bug sti or a later blob wrx ?? what does everyone reckon ??

tubbytommy 09 January 2012 04:20 PM

the 05 blob would be better as it has a wider track and dccd gearbox.
for track use i would go for the bug sti as it has a 6 speed box and brembos and would be cheaper to tune for more power.

aaronsautos 09 January 2012 04:30 PM

thats made my decission even harder as i prefer the look of the blob but love the track ????!!!!!!?????

tubbytommy 09 January 2012 04:32 PM

the wrx is fine mate just the sti is more performance orientated so better for the track

gpssti4 09 January 2012 05:00 PM

A bug STI, with DCCD and Brembo's is ideal for your needs.

NOSSY_89 09 January 2012 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by aaronsautos (Post 10421175)
was thinking of spending 4-4.5 i believe the later blob 05 has a better chassis setup in the sti & wrx ?? so it would be an old bug sti or a later blob wrx ?? what does everyone reckon ??

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10421184)
the 05 blob would be better as it has a wider track and dccd gearbox.
for track use i would go for the bug sti as it has a 6 speed box and brembos and would be cheaper to tune for more power.

You can tell the widetrack veriant but the arch addistions on the back. You can get STI without the widetrack version. Also the PCD is different the normal one is 5 x 100 while the later models are 5 x 114.

But why don't you get what you are thinking of originaly and get some BC Coilovers fitted.

aaronsautos 09 January 2012 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89 (Post 10421373)
You can tell the widetrack veriant but the arch addistions on the back. You can get STI without the widetrack version. Also the PCD is different the normal one is 5 x 100 while the later models are 5 x 114.

But why don't you get what you are thinking of originaly and get some BC Coilovers fitted.

That's what I was thinking coilovers, DS3000 pads and vented discs, Decat and remap. What's the best engine mods to do first to get a bit more torque out of the corners ?