ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Bungee jump rope snaps over croc-infested river. Eek! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/919903-bungee-jump-rope-snaps-over-croc-infested-river-eek.html)

Boro 08 January 2012 04:38 PM

Bungee jump rope snaps over croc-infested river. Eek!

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16144667

:cuckoo:

dpb 08 January 2012 04:49 PM

Id imagine she evacuated long before she got to SA , :rolleyes: :lol1:

joz8968 08 January 2012 05:13 PM

Flippin' 'eck!!!

:eek2:

joz8968 08 January 2012 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 10419053)
Id imagine she evacuated long before she got to SA , :rolleyes: :lol1:

:lol1:

JonMc 08 January 2012 05:17 PM

That could be quite some ride, use the bungee to slow down, cut free and then ride the rapids - people would pay for that:norty:

RobsyUK 08 January 2012 05:33 PM

Thats one reason why I wont do one.

dpb 08 January 2012 05:34 PM

Were off there next month, im not allowed a go :(

JonMc 08 January 2012 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 10419151)
Were off there next month, im not allowed a go :(

My wife would just up the insurance and make sure I was covered:eek:

addi monster 08 January 2012 05:48 PM

i can remember the last one i did in a pub car park for charity,. shat mi pants as i nearly hit a lamp post on the rebound,. not wise to dive out of the cage,.

Trout 08 January 2012 05:49 PM

Holy Crap!!!

dpb 08 January 2012 05:50 PM

I'm more valuable too her indoors alive, as far as I know

hutton_d 08 January 2012 05:54 PM

An ex-GF did that when she went to Africa. Saw the video of her doing it. Said she was on a high for the rest of the day!

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 10419117)
That could be quite some ride, use the bungee to slow down, cut free and then ride the rapids - people would pay for that:norty:

The same girl fell out/got knocked out of the boat going down some rapids on the same holiday. She was an English schools swimming champion at about 16 (or she may have come 2nd, can't remember) and said that once the current gets you you have no chance! So, people may pay, but there's a good chance they wouldn't make the far end of the rapids .....

Dave

ScoobySteve69 08 January 2012 06:11 PM

Why do people do stupid things. There`s enough ways to die / get maimed without asking for it.

jameswrx 08 January 2012 06:14 PM

"The company has replaced the faulty cord"

Really? You'd have thought it'd gone again :confused:

ScoobySteve69 08 January 2012 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by jameswrx (Post 10419249)
"The company has replaced the faulty cord"

Really? You'd have thought it'd gone again :confused:

I thought the same, priceless comment :lol1:

dpb 08 January 2012 06:23 PM

Really ! I thought they won't even picking up the phone !

wayne9t9 08 January 2012 06:52 PM

"The organisers insist the jumps are safe" ....erm now thats the dumbest statement ever..

DARB 08 January 2012 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by wayne9t9 (Post 10419357)
"The organisers insist the jumps are safe" ....erm now thats the dumbest statement ever..

The jumps are safe :thumb: its the hitting the ground thats a tad dangerous !! :thumb:

rossyboy 08 January 2012 07:09 PM

Seriously frayed looking bungee cord + bungeeing in Africa anyway = I'm out :cuckoo:

Cockney Wideboy 08 January 2012 07:17 PM

She is very lucky to be alive but as with anything like this there is always the thoughts of "could this have been avoided"?

You would think that these ropes are required to be changed after a set number of jumps to prevent failure? You can never see the condition of the inner cores of the rope...a rope can be knackard even if it looks ok on the outside...I do a lot of caving and single rope work (SRT) and all our ropes have a finite life and need to be replaced after a set number of falls should they occur regardless of age...climbing rope is the same....bungee ropes experience far higher amounts of force/shock than any caving or climbing rope which is why they are so heavy but i would imagine that same rules would apply.

dpb 08 January 2012 07:19 PM

No self respecting croc is going to take a chunk out of a sheila , on the other hand

http://youtu.be/rEhHXAvd0C8

Miniman 08 January 2012 08:23 PM

They are over egging the croc infested part. There are croc there, but the speed of the river means they are only little ones and not the big monsters you see taking down wildebeast.

We rafted it and the guides told us that the croc's won't go near humans. However the river itself is quite dangerous (hidden rocks/rapids and the speed of the flow) is what would get you. We were told that a couple of people had lost their lives there rafting! Mind you rather than put us off, that actually added to the adrenaline!

LSherratt 08 January 2012 09:24 PM

It didn't even sound as if the people there watching were that shocked. Obviously they were shocked, but if I was there, I would have been screaming and swearing telling them to do something- they all seemed a little quiet and calm lol :cuckoo:

Dr Hu 08 January 2012 09:43 PM

Interesting to have a long fall into river rapids with your feet tied together and a whacking great bungee rope dragging you down!!:eek:

I did the bungee in New Zealand a few years back.... Yep its a stunning high... I was buzzing all day!:D except there you chose wether you wanted a dunking or not..:D

Boro 08 January 2012 10:07 PM

Lucky it was over water really or they would have been scraping her up!

dpb 08 January 2012 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Miniman (Post 10419648)
They are over egging the croc infested part. There are croc there, but the speed of the river means they are only little ones and not the big monsters you see taking down wildebeast.

We rafted it and the guides told us that the croc's won't go near humans. However the river itself is quite dangerous (hidden rocks/rapids and the speed of the flow) is what would get you. We were told that a couple of people had lost their lives there rafting! Mind you rather than put us off, that actually added to the adrenaline!

This is exactly what i was tellin the girlfriend ( who comes from the country ) , crocs surely aint great swimmers so fast moving water - it dont make sense

Leslie 09 January 2012 10:54 AM

Unforgiveable of the organisers to allow the cord to get to such a dangerous state. They should be taken out of business.

Les

joz8968 09 January 2012 01:03 PM

Presumably she'll sue for stress, etc. (whether she is or isn't ;))?

Seems like she'd have a cut 'n' dried case too IMO...