ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   what cc injectors 440 or 550?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/919442-what-cc-injectors-440-or-550-a.html)

matt077 05 January 2012 04:18 PM

what cc injectors 440 or 550??

hi all

after a set of injectors for my scooby as aiming for over the 300bhp mark.

which injectors should i be looking at? 440cc or 550cc injectors, dont seem to be many around for sale atm :(

spec of car, decat 3" system, front mount, itg filter, td05 16g or 20g turbo, walbro 255 fuel pump then will be topped off with a remap

TonyBurns 05 January 2012 04:30 PM

440's and the 16g are more than enough.

chronicK 05 January 2012 04:30 PM

Had 440's on my 320bhp classic, rest of the mods were pretty much identical too.

dbay 05 January 2012 04:37 PM

440's are more than enough as tony says, plus 440 yellows go for £50 a set. 550's go for over £200+ a set

:thumb:

53 05 January 2012 04:40 PM

440's and then if needs be get them modified :) Just make sure you buy Phase 2 injectors and a Carl Davey conversion kit. I have pretty much maxed out my 440's on both my classics c.320 bhp and will be modifying them to 860 IIRC via lateral Performance. Works out better and cheaper than buying 550's :)

As an aside don't forget to upgrade your Maf if you are keeping it as I have pretty much maxed this also :) Not a problem on the one car as it's SImtek and mafless but on the other running Apexi/AVCR I will need to upgrade to go any further :)

joz8968 05 January 2012 04:48 PM

LP mod the OEM 440 yellows to 930cc IIRC. And 'only' cost £225 (inc VAT). :)

Easily the best cc/£ route - esp. as you can pick a used set of 440s up for £50-60 these days. :)

EngineMapper @ Group B Motorsport 05 January 2012 08:00 PM

Can't say I'd recommend modifying the 440 yellows as suggested. Ends up with very poor atomisation and poor fueling response mapping wise IMHO.

440s standard and a TD05, VF35 etc would do you over 300bhp.

Graham

53 05 January 2012 08:12 PM

Are you suggesting Laterals Modified Injectors give very poor atomisation and poor fueling response mapping wise ?

Loose words, I hope you have experience to back that up! :) I am thinking not.

EngineMapper @ Group B Motorsport 05 January 2012 08:19 PM

Not suggesting Lateral's, as I have no direct experience of those. However modified 440s have a very concentrated fuel stream. So the pattern goes from a mist to a stream, I can post pictures of this if need be. The common method to get around this is to put a pintle cap on the end which sprays in a v-spray, but it is still very concentrated. I have pics of what they look like before and after modification and having mapped a number of them and had a number of fuel problems related to them which are then corrected with another set of injectors then I'd say I have enough evidence to back that up.

Graham

njberrie 05 January 2012 08:21 PM

From experience 440s are good for 340 at standard pressure and can be pushed to 360 at around 4 bar.

have a couple of customer running the reflowed injectors from lateral performance with no issues what so ever

53 05 January 2012 08:24 PM

Fair enough, anything poorly executed will be a backward step. However on the basis that the only reference to modification in this thread was recommending Lateral Performance Modified and Flow Matched injectors, your general comment was perhaps a little inappropriate IMHO. :)

EngineMapper @ Group B Motorsport 05 January 2012 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by 53 (Post 10413419)
Fair enough, anything poorly executed will be a backward step. However on the basis that the only reference to modification in this thread was recommending Lateral Performance Modified and Flow Matched injectors, your general comment was perhaps a little inappropriate IMHO. :)

Ok point taken, although there's a reason that properly manufactured 440cc+ injectors are on the market. The newage modified injectors are substantially better incidentally.

There are also some well known manufactured injectors that possess the same problems inherent in their design, the problem is that no one talks about the quality of injectors and how important it is and how much of a bearing it has on the quality of the overall performance and efficiency.

You're right though, the problems I refer to are not problems of getting them to run. But the finer points regarding efficiency and drive-ability etc. I was actually looking to sell these myself, but decided against it due to the evidence I correlated.

Graham

addi monster 05 January 2012 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by EngineMapper (Post 10413401)
Not suggesting Lateral's, as I have no direct experience of those. However modified 440s have a very concentrated fuel stream. So the pattern goes from a mist to a stream, I can post pictures of this if need be. The common method to get around this is to put a pintle cap on the end which sprays in a v-spray, but it is still very concentrated. I have pics of what they look like before and after modification and having mapped a number of them and had a number of fuel problems related to them which are then corrected with another set of injectors then I'd say I have enough evidence to back that up.

Graham

when a 440 phase 2 injetor has been modded it looks pretty much the same as the phase 1/1.5 on the end so why is the spray pattern affected as much as you say it is?

EngineMapper @ Group B Motorsport 05 January 2012 08:51 PM

Single hole injectors are designed with a taper from the needle to provide a misted conical spray as with the earlier 440s. The later 440s with the caps lopped off don't have any taper to help with the spray pattern as the cap is designed with a number of elliptic holes in to provide the correct spray pattern.

Graham

joz8968 05 January 2012 10:59 PM

Mark Aigin did say to me that his modded 440s (ph.2's) do have the inverted V-pattern spray. Not sure whether it'll be good enough for properly efficient atomisation though.

He also stated that to get the best out of them, a decent aftermarket ECU is needed to drive them e.g. Simtek, Syvecs, or better.

Berks-Jack 05 January 2012 11:27 PM

Are these the same injectors (440's) that are on the newage (blob) wrx?

jakea 05 January 2012 11:32 PM

the issue with modifying injectors to flow more cc is that not only the spray is neglected, but the variance among all injectors can be nearly 10%!

I use a td05 16g and 550s with my v2. Great combo, leaves a lot of headroom to play with after you remove/upgrade the maf

dbay 06 January 2012 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Berks-Jack (Post 10413960)
Are these the same injectors (440's) that are on the newage (blob) wrx?

no the newage are top feed and classics are side feed ;)

Berks-Jack 06 January 2012 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by dbay (Post 10414953)
no the newage are top feed and classics are side feed ;)

Hi buddy, thanks for thr reply. Sorry mate I probably didn't word that the best. I meant would they flow the same as te blob injectors? I was curious as to what the blob 440's maxed out at.

horsham rc 01 February 2016 09:21 AM

Old thread but is there any new evidence on injectors in general?
What I mean is are the lateral injectors that are matched and flowed a good set or should I go for something else.

Steve Whitehorn 03 February 2016 01:44 PM

I totally echo Engine Mappers comments in this thread, everyone focus on size/flow but spray pattern is largely ignored.

I have always stayed away from re flowed injectors because many do not spray as well as standard items. However having said that there is also at least a couple of standard injectors that do not spray that well either.

As a massive fan of Laterals MD series turbos, a really good bit of kit. If I was ever going to buy a set of re flowed injectors (which I never will) it would definitely be from them.

I would contact them direct perhaps to ask about the spray characteristics of there re flowed 440s.

Cheers
Steve