ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   classic, vf34. best box,stiv3 or sti ra (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/919226-classic-vf34-best-box-stiv3-or-sti-ra.html)

joe v3sti 04 January 2012 12:32 AM

classic, vf34. best box,stiv3 or sti ra

Hi guys as the title suggests really im putting a vf34 on my 97 sti hoping to run circa 340/50 but the syncro has gone on 4th. So need a new gearbox and im contemplating on replacing it for an ra box and diff instead of putting another like for like in.

Which would make it a quicker car point to point or on the 1/4mile? RA box or standard v3 running 340bhp. joe

joe v3sti 04 January 2012 10:00 PM

cmon guys? could do with some whose run both set ups

djquest 04 January 2012 10:40 PM

Ra gearbox should have shorter gear ratios so would be quicker but will lose top speed.

stedee 04 January 2012 10:50 PM

depends which version ra, 1/2 very low ratio , max out about 125mph, v3/4/5/6 arent too bad top end but 1,2 and 3 are quite short

joe v3sti 05 January 2012 12:27 AM

yeah i know top end Ra is a lot shorter but these days its bye bye ticket at 100+ and prison over 140. so top end im not fussed.
I figured with the extra gear changes that it would be slower over say a 1/4mile. When i had my previous car it was quicker than a friends evo 4rs due to his extra gear change.

Hmmmmm still undecided. Surely a classic with 350bhp with an RA box would be pretty mental!

Perky15 05 January 2012 10:40 AM

im running around 300 on my 95 ra and acceleration is fun :thumb: mine tops at 130 thinking about having it rebuilt with a wrx 5th gear as i drive motorway miles and the revs are a bit high and annoying at 80

Tidgy 05 January 2012 12:21 PM

340/350 will be very near the limit on any 5 speed so if youw ant it to last then you need to look at other options.

joe v3sti 05 January 2012 02:29 PM

Tidgy, i have considered other options, the main one being a 6speed but if im honest just shy of 2k seems a lot to put into a box for a car that is only worth not much more.
However i do like the idea of having total piece of mind and being able to use it properly
joe

banny sti 05 January 2012 03:14 PM

Sti 5/6 gearbox would be my choice

joe v3sti 05 January 2012 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=banny sti;10412580]Sti 5/6 gearbox would be my choice[/QUOTE

Just a standard sti? not a type r? What rear diff?
Either way what ever i go for finding a good one will be very hard
joe

stedee 05 January 2012 10:54 PM

i`m running 370-380hp in a v4 ra and yes it is mental, i wouldnt want to put anymore through the box though, what i have noticed is it jolts when changing gearand i think that shock is what kill the boxes, some ppl have run more through them but alot of ppl have run less and gone bang.

the sti 6 speed are strong but the ratios arent as good for quarter miles, obviously better for motorways and economy.

joe v3sti 06 January 2012 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by stedee (Post 10413887)
i`m running 370-380hp in a v4 ra and yes it is mental, i wouldnt want to put anymore through the box though, what i have noticed is it jolts when changing gearand i think that shock is what kill the boxes, some ppl have run more through them but alot of ppl have run less and gone bang.

the sti 6 speed are strong but the ratios arent as good for quarter miles, obviously better for motorways and economy.

right sounds interesting stedee! what spec is your car? forged? have you done a 1/4mile?
JOE

djquest 06 January 2012 08:25 AM

I can also tell you. In my current car im running v6 Type R Dccd Box. Its pusshing over 400lbs of torque through it. However i dont launch my car. I have red line heavy weight oil in the box. Gear box has never whined or anything. Just on start up it can be harder to change gear because of the oil. But once warmed up everything is fine. I will soon have this for sale. I brought the box when it had done 29k and so far done about 8k on it with no issues so roughly 37k mileage on the gearbox.

joe v3sti 06 January 2012 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by djquest (Post 10414217)
I can also tell you. In my current car im running v6 Type R Dccd Box. Its pusshing over 400lbs of torque through it. However i dont launch my car. I have red line heavy weight oil in the box. Gear box has never whined or anything. Just on start up it can be harder to change gear because of the oil. But once warmed up everything is fine. I will soon have this for sale. I brought the box when it had done 29k and so far done about 8k on it with no issues so roughly 37k mileage on the gearbox.

400lbs is a fair wack. what spec are you runnng to achive this? Thats a pretty low mileage box. For sale wise how soon is soon? i think my box is coming out week commencing 16th of this month

cheers joe

stedee 06 January 2012 02:03 PM

yep forged running a tdo5-18g, sti8 top mount

i dont do quarters, done a few grudgement days, came 3rd at the last one.

the reason i say about the 6 speed being slower up the quarter is a mate of mine did the change and added another 40hp and he still couldnt beat his time on the 5 speed box

joe v3sti 06 January 2012 02:11 PM

i was going to get involved in my rallye track car at grudgement days but sold it earlier this year. I would only 6speed if forging and thats not on the menu at the moment. I do keep toying with the idea but gearbox makes it a big outlay!
just going to try concentrate on 5speed i think