ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Selling Advice - Accepting Cash (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/918539-selling-advice-accepting-cash.html)

Pink_Floyd 30 December 2011 12:19 PM

Selling Advice - Accepting Cash

I have a guy who is from Germany interested in my car. He's over tomorrow to view another car in Glasgow. It's a strange time to be doing so if you ask me!

Anyway there is no way he can view the other, decide yes or no and then get to me in time for the banks closing (to deposit cash) This leaves me with a dilemma;

He may be genuine and I get rid of my car :)

or

He's a scammer with fake money.

I've been offered passport numbers etc but I'm not James Bond, nor work for the foreign office so couldn't tell real from fake on a passport.

Question is therefore, what do I do?

Terminator X 30 December 2011 12:24 PM

Always makes me nervous when peeps want to pay cash whilst banks are shut :nono: Dangerous game dealing with peeps outside of the UK too imho.

TX.

juggers 30 December 2011 12:25 PM

Loads of buyers from Germany and france at the moment due to the week pound. It's most likely genuine and I don't think you have anything to worry about.

chopperman 30 December 2011 12:37 PM

Go and buy one of those pens that checks whether money is real.

lanceuppercut 30 December 2011 12:37 PM

personally, i'd only feel comfortable with cash if it were paid into my account at a bank.

Wolf_gsxr 30 December 2011 12:40 PM

you can feel fake money instantly. when your counting it you'll know. why not do some research. how much are you selling your car for? how much would the equilant car in his country cost/ price to get over here. if its still cheaper then he's probs genuine if the can get the same car for less/same then id give him a wide birth...

alcazar 30 December 2011 12:48 PM

What currency will he be paying in?
If Sterling, avoid £50 notes like the plague.
If Euros, avoid anything above a €50.

MattyB1983 30 December 2011 01:00 PM

I've sold many cars and took 000's of pounds in cash.
Get yourself one of those money checker pens buddy, costs a couple of quid and gives you piece of mind.

L.J.F 30 December 2011 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd (Post 10400762)
I have a guy who is from Germany interested in my car. He's over tomorrow to view another car in Glasgow. It's a strange time to be doing so if you ask me!

Anyway there is no way he can view the other, decide yes or no and then get to me in time for the banks closing (to deposit cash) This leaves me with a dilemma;

He may be genuine and I get rid of my car :)

or

He's a scammer with fake money.

I've been offered passport numbers etc but I'm not James Bond, nor work for the foreign office so couldn't tell real from fake on a passport.

Question is therefore, what do I do?

Hi mate, i have used a pen that detects fake notes a few times now and will use it when the scoob goes;) I am guessing the german guy is Hoagie from on here as he was wanting mine too around Xmas:thumb: He seemed genuine enough and as already said plenty of over sea buyers at the moment. you were right about that French bloke by the way, he decided to bail out on the sale 5hrs before we were meant to meet in Dover:mad:

GLWTS:luxhello:

Pink_Floyd 30 December 2011 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by L.J.F (Post 10400890)
Hi mate, i have used a pen that detects fake notes a few times now and will use it when the scoob goes;) I am guessing the german guy is Hoagie from on here as he was wanting mine too around Xmas:thumb: He seemed genuine enough and as already said plenty of over sea buyers at the moment. you were right about that French bloke by the way, he decided to bail out on the sale 5hrs before we were meant to meet in Dover:mad:

GLWTS:luxhello:

Right, one of those pens it is then :-)

I'll have to look up that chap Hoagie in a second. Yep that French guy was one to watch ;)

band_wagon 30 December 2011 01:40 PM

i had a guy this time last year from Belgium drive over and buy my blue sti off me and payed cash he said it was easyer and cheaper to buy from here and drive it back he owns a audi dearleship over there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFg3cLmKV28

L.J.F 30 December 2011 06:27 PM

Where else have you advertised mate?

brendy76 30 December 2011 06:42 PM

Halifax banks are open til 12 at least tomorrow if you want to take it there to get checked out. That's what I did to give a girl peace of mind when buying my Wrx for cash from her in England. I was using ulster bank notes and offered to do this and she was happy to do so as it was my offer to prevent any awkwardness.

Pink_Floyd 30 December 2011 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by L.J.F (Post 10401484)
Where else have you advertised mate?

PH & ebay.

The eBay ad had expired but he has obviously been watching it.

Can anyone confirm it's just a case of filling in section 11 only on the V5 and giving the rest of the V5 to the buyer?

Pink_Floyd 30 December 2011 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by brendy76 (Post 10401529)
Halifax banks are open til 12 at least tomorrow if you want to take it there to get checked out. That's what I did to give a girl peace of mind when buying my Wrx for cash from her in England. I was using ulster bank notes and offered to do this and she was happy to do so as it was my offer to prevent any awkwardness.

Thanks mate. They're open until 12:30 here but he may be later than this. That's the problem.

addi monster 30 December 2011 07:11 PM

go to the local pub to finalise the sale then ask the bar man to woft the monies under his note checker for you :)

chopperman 30 December 2011 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by addi monster (Post 10401583)
go to the local pub to finalise the sale then ask the bar man to woft the monies under his note checker for you :)

great idea :thumb:

brendy76 30 December 2011 07:32 PM

Post office might do the same.

addi monster 30 December 2011 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by brendy76 (Post 10401620)
Post office might do the same.

post office dont sell beer though:D

gussy 30 December 2011 09:13 PM

Barclays bank /Natwest are open until 12:30 on a saturday. I was in the same situation when I sold mine to a polish lad basically as long as the deal could be done at the banks before 12:30 he could have the car as it turned out he wanted the car at my asking price so we withdrew the cash from his account and walked 100yrds to my bank and deposited it in my account that is the safest way to do it, he was happy I was happy job sorted.

craigyp 30 December 2011 09:35 PM

Thought natwest was open till 3 now on sats????

LegacySTi 30 December 2011 09:38 PM

as juggers has said. german buyers taking lots of cars at the moment. so nothing strange.

cash is king. you,ll know if fake cash.

be more trusting

irondrew 31 December 2011 02:12 AM

I had a Guy buy my scooby in September from Germany. All seemed way to suspect to me and I even thought my mate was winding me up.. turns out he was absolutely genuine and was a Scottish chap on leave from the army. He paid cash and all was fine. Best bit of advice and as some have said get a money pen mark some notes and smell the bloody money lol also definitely have a mate there to get his opinion but you should be fine alot of people are buying from Germany, France etc...

subzerokent 31 December 2011 05:10 AM

I've got a German guy comes over once a week buying cars and parts as he is taking them. Back and making a fortune selling them over there

RobsyUK 31 December 2011 09:19 AM

Don't sniff the £20's I hear all of them have been used for cocane!

stuart148 31 December 2011 09:52 AM

Get him there, take him on the lash till Monday :-)
Banks open then simples ;-)

JohnD 31 December 2011 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by RobsyUK (Post 10402364)
Don't sniff the £20's I hear all of them have been used for cocane!

If he pays it all in £20 notes, there could be just enough residue to give you a bonus!:freak3:

JohnD

New_scooby_04 31 December 2011 12:01 PM

Personally, I would never release a car until a payment (whatever form) is safely in my account, which means doing it when the banks are open.

Any genuine buyer will understand this.

Can you afford to lose the car?

bob r 31 December 2011 05:54 PM

I've sold several cars for cash over £10,000 and each time I have deposited the cash, the bank have never checked any of the cash. It literally goes into the electronic counter and then filed into the till with the rest of the dosh.

Made me laugh when I paid £12k for an STI that I went to Scotland for. The seller was wary and asked if we could go to the bank together to deposit the cash. The village bank hadn't seen that sort of cash for ages and they had to count it by hand.
Although he was wary, he left my missus looking after his little girl at his house while we went to the bank etc. lol

Pink_Floyd 01 January 2012 03:59 PM

Well they bought the car. They are a pair of mates in business who come across and buy high performance cars and sell back in Germany for profit. They'd gone to see an M3 in Glasgow but it was a shed so drove to Dundee and looked at mine. They are off to look at an EVO 8 today.

They had everything to check the car over including a paint depth gauge etc. They'd bought from a guy on eBay earlier this year so I emailed him and he backed up their story. The money looks fine, and my mate who used to work in retail who is used to seeing all the notes said they were pukka.

I also check their driving licenses and got company details etc. I think all should be fine :thumb: