ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Best wax ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/915378-best-wax.html)

monkfish2 01 December 2011 08:56 AM

Best wax ?

Hi guys,

I've had my car now for over 6 years and never waxed it, but that's about to change. I got some time off work coming up and thought I'd give my scoob a bit of a tidy up. What would be a decent wax to use and are buffers any good.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks.

chopperman 01 December 2011 09:40 AM

What colour is your car?

monkfish2 01 December 2011 09:44 AM

Crystal grey mate.

chopperman 01 December 2011 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by monkfish2 (Post 10359261)
Crystal grey mate.

I would go for Poorboys Natty wax. Very easy to use and quite cheap. You wont need a buffer, just put the wax on nice and thin. I use a Kestrel DA with microfibre bonnet to buff cos im lazy but its not needed. You will get better results if you wash your car then Clay bar it before waxing.

Ryan@Indigo-GT 01 December 2011 09:56 AM

I've found the DoDo Juice hard wax compound to be pretty good, but as chopperman has said, using a clay bar will give excellent results, it's hard work but you'd be amazed by the amount of crap it pulls out of the paint work!

monkfish2 01 December 2011 09:59 AM

Cheer guys. What's clay bar ?

chopperman 01 December 2011 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan@Indigo-GT (Post 10359279)
I've found the DoDo Juice hard wax compound to be pretty good, but as chopperman has said, using a clay bar will give excellent results, it's hard work but you'd be amazed by the amount of crap it pulls out of the paint work!

Ive not used the hard wax, but have used DoDo juice Purple haze which is great stuff but i find quite oily on my black car. The thing i like about Natty wax is you put it on with a damp aplicator. This help's put it on nice and thin.

The OP asked for the "best wax" so i suppose if he really wants to splash out it would be swissvax best of show. But at about £160 a tub i would suggest clay bar then cut the paint back with an anti swirl compound first.
Word to the warning though. Detailing can be very addictive :lol1:

chopperman 01 December 2011 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by monkfish2 (Post 10359282)
Cheer guys. What's clay bar ?

its little bars of clay that with a lubricant you rub over your paint. This pulls off all the contaminants out of the paint leaving it glass smooth. Go on youtube and you will find loads of demo's mate.

F1 CJE UK 01 December 2011 10:43 AM

have a read, loads of great advice and info

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...re-advice.html

Dave Y 01 December 2011 10:50 AM

there is a site called...Detailing World have a read on there

F1 CJE UK 01 December 2011 10:52 AM

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

monkfish2 01 December 2011 11:03 AM

Good stuff guys, I'll have a look tonight. A nice 330 mile trip home at 12 to look forward to first.
It was re-sprayed down one side a few years back, will this be ok still ? Nobody can tell but I think it stands out like a sore thumb, like a dull gloss.

chopperman 01 December 2011 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by monkfish2 (Post 10359354)
Good stuff guys, I'll have a look tonight. A nice 330 mile trip home at 12 to look forward to first.
It was re-sprayed down one side a few years back, will this be ok still ? Nobody can tell but I think it stands out like a sore thumb, like a dull gloss.

If it stands out because the paint is newer on that side then polishing the rest of the car should help. By polishing i don't mean waxing, i mean cutting the paint back using compounds and a machine to remove a micro layer that's oxidised.
As another poster suggested, detailingworld.com has all your answers. Read up before attacking your car. Check out the junkman vids on youtube.

monkfish2 01 December 2011 11:23 AM

Top stuff, I've just had a quick look on the site and it should keep me busy over the weekend. I never knew there was so much info on polishing/waxing etc.

scoobyraj 01 December 2011 02:59 PM

Lots of advice on the car care section of scoobynet also! There'll be a guide for your colour of scooby as well! Enjoy!

ditchmyster 01 December 2011 04:53 PM

+1 for the clay bar, then wax then a sealer, 4 months and still beading water and a 14yr old car and the paint looks better than some new cars..:D

95turbowagon 01 December 2011 06:53 PM

I just used dodo juice banana armour on my corsa and left a really nice glossy shine, also have some orange crush to use on the sccob.

Quite oily compared to the collinite i usually use, and i found it a bit harder to work with.

lee67 01 December 2011 08:20 PM

i bought a claybar kit and farecla?? seemed so unnatural rubbing a wet claybar along the body or is that just me????..ending up ditching the claybar and just waxed the hell out my car shiny as now....

-shane- 01 December 2011 08:32 PM

keep it well waxed and this is how dry the car was straight after i rinsed it with power washer

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...1/dcdf361c.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...1/0adc0f51.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...1/886d7614.jpg

-Nic- 01 December 2011 09:30 PM

Looking good as usual Shane :thumb:

andythejock01wrx 01 December 2011 09:49 PM

I've been looking at the DoDo range, but I must admit I'm a bit confused by multitude of options as to which would be best!

Purple Haze Pro and Blue Velvet Pro are both for dark coloured cars. One is a "soft" wax and the other is "hard". What difference does that make? Is it just that the soft wax is easier to use? (Both £50).

Hybrid sounds good because it's durable, but then presumably Supernatual Premium at twice the price gives a better shine as it has more carnuba?

So which of those 4 would you choose?

cheers for any thoughts,

Andy

lordharding 01 December 2011 10:14 PM

First of all you need to clay bar it
Cost £20 ish
That will get rid of all the tar and crap etc

If you don't want to machine polish it fair enough ,but it would transform your car
Das 6 £80ish and cutting fluid and selection of pads etc £40 ish

I use 50/50 paste from chemical guys £40 whichnis one of the best wax on the market for that price point
Blackfire the v7 sealant over it would transform the car there is a good offer on chemical guys website including cloths for £40

If you see what that combination does to your car pop up to a Cumbrian Scoobs meeting and see one of my Scooobies

Alternative would be a popular choice with autoglmn he wax at £35 ish
Another good wax would be autoglmn super resin polish ,which will fill in any small scratches topped up with extra gloss protection cost £25-£30 ish try halfords 3/2 offers

timmyajmy93wrx 02 December 2011 09:08 AM

So many ways to detail your car, depends how good you want it to look. As mentioned wax can be cheap to the rediculous, again down to how deeps your pocket/taste an the finish you want. I eould not just wax the car, unless all you want to do is wash it an put a bit of protection on the top? Have a look on a couple of websites like clean your. Ar forum or detailers world forum. Here you will find how much you can go into detailing your car an find peoples views on products etc. i find clean your car forum better as more "general / happy to help folk are there.
I have all the gear an have done cars for years its a good list of processes to do it right but youwill find a happy medium after having a good read an look i to it. Hope that helps!

-shane- 03 December 2011 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx (Post 10360353)
I've been looking at the DoDo range, but I must admit I'm a bit confused by multitude of options as to which would be best!

Purple Haze Pro and Blue Velvet Pro are both for dark coloured cars. One is a "soft" wax and the other is "hard". What difference does that make? Is it just that the soft wax is easier to use? (Both £50).

Hybrid sounds good because it's durable, but then presumably Supernatual Premium at twice the price gives a better shine as it has more carnuba?

So which of those 4 would you choose?

cheers for any thoughts,

Andy

My pics above are 2 coats of Dodo Supernatural but i didn't pay £90 only £30 hehe:thumb: