ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Using a K&N induction kit without oil? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/915360-using-a-k-and-n-induction-kit-without-oil.html)

ksg10 30 November 2011 10:45 PM

Using a K&N induction kit without oil?

Yay? Nay?

I gave the filter a clean and the amount of ****e that came out was epic. I haven't got any of that oil they put on them so is it OK to use without?

It's an MY00 UK Turbo with the chocolate MAF btw

SCOOBYOLS46 30 November 2011 10:53 PM

it should be fine mate , i always use to clean the induction kit filter using petrol then didn't apply oil after , so it should be fine to use without :)

the hamster 30 November 2011 11:05 PM

I've just done mine on my MY00 too. The oil is designed to catch small particals because the filter is more free flowing, so its up to you if you want to risk it.

I've just cleaned mine with the K&N kit and have loads of the oil left if you need some.

topshot 30 November 2011 11:05 PM

no its designed to use oil as its crucial to the filter actually filtering. Ideally ditch the induction for panel filter, but if you have to keep it lightly oil it.

ksg10 01 December 2011 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by the hamster (Post 10358987)
I've just done mine on my MY00 too. The oil is designed to catch small particals because the filter is more free flowing, so its up to you if you want to risk it.

I've just cleaned mine with the K&N kit and have loads of the oil left if you need some.

Thanks Hamster, very generous. I'll PM you.

harvey 03 December 2011 12:12 AM

Do NOT run a K+N oil filter without preoiling it lightly.
If you run a MAF sensor you will goose that when oil is not present and reduce the life of your engine generally.

ksg10 03 December 2011 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by topshot (Post 10358988)
no its designed to use oil as its crucial to the filter actually filtering. Ideally ditch the induction for panel filter, but if you have to keep it lightly oil it.

Originally Posted by harvey (Post 10362067)
Do NOT run a K+N oil filter without preoiling it lightly.
If you run a MAF sensor you will goose that when oil is not present and reduce the life of your engine generally.

I ordered a K&N filter service kit from the 'bay last night - wasn't one of my brightest ideas this thread.

the hamster 03 December 2011 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by ksg10 (Post 10362079)
wasn't one of my brightest ideas this thread.

It was! £9 has proberbly just saved you a maf and engine.

NOSSY_89 03 December 2011 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ksg10 (Post 10362079)
I ordered a K&N filter service kit from the 'bay last night - wasn't one of my brightest ideas this thread.

Originally Posted by the hamster (Post 10362237)
It was! £9 has proberbly just saved you a maf and engine.

It was a good idea. Just like Hamster said and think of the amount of people who have stumbled on to this thread. :thumb:

garymate 03 December 2011 01:13 PM

You should always oil the filter after cleaning have sponsorship from KnN for my bike racing and there cleaning kits are the best you should let the filter completely dry before oil though best to have 2 filter so you have 1 ready to put on as they take a few days to be completely dry.

NOSSY_89 03 December 2011 01:15 PM

How often should you clean them. Mine has done approximately 1000 miles

garymate 03 December 2011 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89 (Post 10362482)

Yours is good for a long time yet, they say on the box like 50,000 plus but take no notice of that it all depends on what conditions you drive in i just do it about 3/4 times a year but you can never do it to much a clean filter is always good.

topshot 03 December 2011 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89 (Post 10362482)

I always clean them at the standard air filter replacement interval, so every 12months i will clean and re-oil them. Same with pipercross foam.

harvey 03 December 2011 02:39 PM

Performance drops off marginally between service intervals so I make a point of cleaning K+N filters every 3000-5000 miles. Apart from your own time, cost is marginal.

NOSSY_89 03 December 2011 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by harvey (Post 10362573)
Performance drops off marginally between service intervals so I make a point of cleaning K+N filters every 3000-5000 miles. Apart from your own time, cost is marginal.

Thanks guys thats what I was thinking lol. Mine is in the arch so will be a pain to get to lol. Oh and its a cold air induction kit.

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=1299

Any tips on cleaning it etc.

Sorry for hijacking your thread lol. See you were complaining saying it was usless etc but it has turned out to be very informative not just for you but also for me and anyone else who reads it lol. :thumb:

topshot 03 December 2011 05:39 PM

I vacuum it, then spray with cleaner, wash with tap water from inside to the outside. Leave to dry and lightly oil.

harvey 04 December 2011 11:22 AM

As above, without the oil little particles get through just as they do with the steel mesh type filters.
I never thought about hoovering the filter. Good idea as long as it is done from the outside.
It takes a long time for the filter to dry out and I leave mine in the airing cupboard overnight as a minimum and LIGHTLY oil until there are no white patches on the filter medium surface. If you are not running a MAF it will not matter if you over oil but I think you would have to be pretty ham fisted to put on so much oil that it damaged your MAF.