ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Dump valves (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/915016-dump-valves.html)

Daveb55sti 28 November 2011 03:36 PM

Dump valves

Hi, What is the best make of dump valve to get for my 2.5 sti

NOSSY_89 28 November 2011 03:41 PM

Mate just wait for people to start posting about how crap it is etc. Its personal choice.

What I will say is getting a cheap DV is no good the amount of issues people complain about when changing to a DV is due to them going for an inferior quality one and not a propper well made one.

I'm using a turbosmart one and it seems good. Its about £300 but its worth it.

gregwagonturbo 28 November 2011 03:55 PM

i have a bailey motor sport dump valve on my classic and its never given me any probs

wr pete 28 November 2011 03:58 PM

Standard is best or forge re circ.

greg320 28 November 2011 03:59 PM

stick to standard and save your hard earned

Philturbo1 28 November 2011 04:15 PM

got a forge on my classic had no probs wi it

Silverscoob72 28 November 2011 04:48 PM

I have also got a forge one,Had a baileys before but not as good as the forge one :thumb:

sbushby 28 November 2011 04:49 PM

I have hks Ssqv on mine and it seems ok!! Do have a Sard for sale that's adjustable if your interested fella!!

alcazar 28 November 2011 04:51 PM

Buy what you like, it's your car, but stick to the recirculating type;)

That's what your car is set up for, and it will run better, and safer, with that type.

You DO know, of course, that there is NOTHING to be gained under 500bhp by changing the d/v, and lots to be lost?

legacy_gtb 28 November 2011 05:03 PM

Vent to atmosphere DV's ...... just dont bother unless your mafless! All theyre good for is getting the maccy d's car park skanks a little bit moister!

Otherwise a forge recirc for a quality bit of kit which is nicely tunable with a spring kit.

brendy76 28 November 2011 05:08 PM

Forge VTA here, if you drive round locally off boost it is silent, it only really makes the noise when you are pushing on a bit.

initialD 28 November 2011 05:27 PM

been told by a top tuner to go standard recirc or forge motorsports ? not baileys they usually suffer with spring failure ?

sonicvr6 28 November 2011 05:35 PM

i run a forge vta and i'd like to think i've got good power

justin_watson 28 November 2011 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10354781)
Buy what you like, it's your car, but stick to the recirculating type;)

That's what your car is set up for, and it will run better, and safer, with that type.

You DO know, of course, that there is NOTHING to be gained under 500bhp by changing the d/v, and lots to be lost?

I hate to say it but this man is right! :)

barnshaw 28 November 2011 06:38 PM

removed mine completely and it is a million times better

Chelstrueblue 28 November 2011 06:42 PM

Dump valve

I gotta SSQV 4 on my sti and it sounds the nuts!! Jus ain't got it recirculating yet

sonicvr6 28 November 2011 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by barnshaw (Post 10354970)

depends on the turbo hf's cant take it td05's there ok

alcazar 28 November 2011 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by justin_watson (Post 10354905)
I hate to say it but this man is right! :)

Why thank you my man...........I knew you couldn't REALLY be from Hull. :D

alcazar 28 November 2011 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by barnshaw (Post 10354970)

You really ought to qualify that statement, we don't want people with turbos that WON'T take that mod trying it out on your say-so, do we?:)

RA Dunk 28 November 2011 07:54 PM

Fit the loudest one you can, the wimmens panties fall clean off.

sonicvr6 28 November 2011 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 10355155)
Fit the loudest one you can, the wimmens panties fall clean off.

+1 my mrs dont like that you cant hear mine over the chatter

barnshaw 28 November 2011 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10355138)
You really ought to qualify that statement, we don't want people with turbos that WON'T take that mod trying it out on your say-so, do we?:)

ok, well i removed an APS dual vent recricualtion and blocked both hoses from turbo inlet and FMIC, had the car remapped and the difference was night and day, throttle response was much better, no smell of over fuelling and the car generally ran smoother and less hesitant at low speeds.

just to add the difference was immediately apparent before the remap just before anyone says the map sorted them issues.

Turbo Tez 28 November 2011 09:42 PM

I like how they drive with no dump valve and the sound is lovely but this will apparently shorten the life of your turbo. Having said that a blitz ppppsssssssstttttttttsssssssssshhhhhhhh is quite a lovely sound as well. I've tried standard, VTA, and dump valve delete all with no problems but prefere none. At the end of the day though it's your car so it's your decision. If you want to be 100% safe keep it standard, Start modding and you may suffer parts failing. You pays your money you take your chance.

trevsjwood 29 November 2011 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89 (Post 10354667)
Mate just wait for people to start posting about how crap it is etc. Its personal choice.

What I will say is getting a cheap DV is no good the amount of issues people complain about when changing to a DV is due to them going for an inferior quality one and not a propper well made one.

I'm using a turbosmart one and it seems good. Its about £300 but its worth it.

did you find any noticable gains over the oem bov, only Turbosmart in their sales pitch are claiming, better:- acceleration, boost hold and less lag ?
Trev

alcazar 29 November 2011 04:40 PM

All rubbish......IMHO

IF they were any good, surely manufacturers would fit them for the gains?

trevsjwood 29 November 2011 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10356468)
All rubbish......IMHO

I don't know if they're any good, thats why I asked.:) Although you could just about go through the whole car with that question.
If the oem part lost some of it's efficiency over time how would you know?
Trev

alcazar 29 November 2011 06:50 PM

Agreed Trev, but that's not what I thought you asked?

I was saying that you won't get those gains just by fitting a d/v....ANY d/v.

Now if the original was on the way out........that's another story, yes.

But ask ANY tuner on here, he'll say what I say;)

NOSSY_89 29 November 2011 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by trevsjwood (Post 10356455)
did you find any noticable gains over the oem bov, only Turbosmart in their sales pitch are claiming, better:- acceleration, boost hold and less lag ?
Trev

Didn't see their sales pitch lol. I did notice a difference but I'm running mafless. You notice the drop in lag after 2nd gear thats where it made most of its difference.

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10356468)
All rubbish......IMHO

In some countries they are banned etc so its just to be standard. Just like the standard map that comes with the car. :)

lordharding 30 November 2011 12:05 AM

Don't get one
Too many running issues with them over the years
Do a search

All the enthusiasts will laugh at you and say well you just need a rearward facing baseball hat and oversized trainers and trackies and Argos chain

But the 15 year old girls at McD will love you long enough together a baby and council house :D

mnem1c 30 November 2011 12:23 AM

TurboSmart