ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   anti lag .... how much damage and how quick (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/914832-anti-lag-how-much-damage-and-how-quick.html)

sonicvr6 26 November 2011 10:15 PM

anti lag .... how much damage and how quick

right my turbo stank like burn today and boost was unstable when i was talking to a mate 2night the 1st thing he said was did you turn anti lag on wile you was driving before it did it and i was he said that it will boil the water and kill the turbo in next to no time i know it shortens the life of the turbo but by how much ?

banny sti 26 November 2011 10:20 PM

Depends how aggresively it is mapped, most road ALS is just a few pops and bangs and does not really do any damage unless your are running it constantly resulting in high EGT's.

barnshaw 26 November 2011 10:20 PM

you have to remember anti lag increases the heat massively on the turbo, therefore creating more heat and more stress on the turbo, and for what? probably something which is un noticeable performance wise on most day to day subarus.

it sounds immense however i will not risk my turbo/headers for it, just get pops and bangs mapped in if thats your thing

53 26 November 2011 10:24 PM

Used responsibly it's fine. :) used to excess or from cold more fool you. I have it but I rarely use it anymore as it does run for the worse due to heat, fuel etc. A nice toy but all toys get boring :)

birchy2010 26 November 2011 10:31 PM

I do use mine. as long as its a strong turbo and warmed up and down its fine. Mine does make a difference on how the car drives and performs.

sonicvr6 26 November 2011 10:31 PM

as a rule only use it when on a track but had it on today to get more heat in the engine as was making sure i solved my coolant problem

the hamster 27 November 2011 12:01 AM

what turbo mate? I was reading up on anti-lag and VF series turbos dont like it due to the increased pressure which causes shaft play. As someone above said, depending on how aggressively the AL is mapped will depend on lifespan, but its definately 1 thing I wont be having on mine.

MicaDan 27 November 2011 12:06 AM

It will ruin the turbo, it's just a matter of time. The ferocity of the ALS is usually very mild in most road applications, nothing like as fierce as used on rally cars. Eventually it can melt the shaft which will cause the turbine wheel to break off. The only way to get round this is by using a Maram shaft in the turbo, but that is very expensive. Just be mindful of this and don't run it constantly.

sonicvr6 27 November 2011 12:07 AM

but it cool lol td05 18g for now :) watch this space

MicaDan 27 November 2011 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by the hamster (Post 10352393)
what turbo mate? I was reading up on anti-lag and VF series turbos dont like it due to the increased pressure which causes shaft play. As someone above said, depending on how aggressively the AL is mapped will depend on lifespan, but its definately 1 thing I wont be having on mine.

Pretty sure he's running a Mitsi turbo at present, and they are quite strong units. I agree on the VF's not liking it. Journal bearing turbos will always cope better, but GT series turbos handle it quite well too.

sonicvr6 27 November 2011 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by MicaDan (Post 10352407)
Pretty sure he's running a Mitsi turbo at present, and they are quite strong units. I agree on the VF's not liking it. Journal bearing turbos will always cope better, but GT series turbos handle it quite well too.

spot on dan but like i said watch this space picked up a new toy 2night and was free hehe :norty::norty::norty:

the hamster 27 November 2011 12:16 AM

20g Sonic?

sonicvr6 27 November 2011 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by the hamster (Post 10352411)
20g Sonic?

keep guessing hehe mat keep's telling me to do this

sonicvr6 27 November 2011 12:20 AM

one more guess and i'll tell you

SkydiveMacca 27 November 2011 09:26 AM

Why would you want to use AL on the road? The noise is just retarded and driving at traffic speeds (admittedly I run a 4 puck paddle clutch, so not ideal) is pretty tricky.

wiley 27 November 2011 09:56 AM

Ive got AL, I wouldnt say I use it all the time, but I'll say once every few weeks.
My 18G when I took it off after 3 years of driving, was just as it was when it was fitted.
Think it all depends on how you manage it, I never used until the car was warmed up properly, and always let my turbo cool down after a bit of heavy use

Wiley

sonicvr6 27 November 2011 09:57 AM

i was hammering it to try nd get it as hot as i could to make sure that it wasnt going to over heat

Gonewrongmark 27 November 2011 10:11 AM

Where's the best place to get antilag fitted and how much would it cost ?

sonicvr6 27 November 2011 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gonewrongmark (Post 10352592)

i've gone the simtek ecu root with it unlock £1050 fitted and mapped

the hamster 27 November 2011 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by sonicvr6 (Post 10352414)
one more guess and i'll tell you

ok, VF48 :wonder:

pete@s/e imprezas 27 November 2011 10:59 AM

md321 ?

MicaDan 27 November 2011 11:15 AM

GT35??

sonicvr6 27 November 2011 11:23 AM

well i still got the gt30 off my old skyline and got GIVEN FREE last night the headers to fit and the down pipe so going rotated but with a low power map dont want to push the engine i want it to last but when you get it free you cant say no

Jolly Green Monster 27 November 2011 11:38 AM

antilag on a road car - using the originally fitted idle valve/throttle by pass valve/ stepper motor is not aggressive enough itself to cause damage imho.. if the als was aggressive it would need more air - the throttle jacked open for example and then you have not brake servo vaccum.. usually on the newage you can feel a change in the servo assistence if you brake hard with als on and turn it off.

The problem is if the turbo is damaged in anyway unbeknown to you and you run the als it is likely to fail then.. if the turbo is 100% then the als on a road car shouldnt effect it.. the turbo would have failed shortly anyway imho.

Simon

Jolly Green Monster 27 November 2011 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Gonewrongmark (Post 10352592)

requires an after market ecu like simtek, or syvecs etc..

sonicvr6 27 November 2011 11:55 AM

thank you simon the turbo is only 12weeks old 3000 or so km on it but i had a coolent problem as you know solved now could i have damaged it in the last week or so wile i was sorting it ??? and do you know where i can get custom intercooler piping from ??

Badbird 27 November 2011 12:26 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zpdR6SfnS8

not subaru related but anti lag is anti lag,
look at the violence going on in that turbo
look at the turbo floating around i weigh better than 200 lbs and i can stand on they exhaust horn without it moving 2 mm the car will move but the exhause is ridgid yet look at what the anti lag does to it,
you are asking for trouble using this on a road car for no good reason

sonicvr6 27 November 2011 12:35 PM

because come feb i want to take it to york and smoke my mate 400bhp corsa on the drag strip and show him what i can do with spending half the money he has alrad done it with another 25k corsa but this one cost him 40k to build yes 40k on a r-reg corsa

Jolly Green Monster 27 November 2011 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Badbird (Post 10352751)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zpdR6SfnS8

not subaru related but anti lag is anti lag,
look at the violence going on in that turbo
look at the turbo floating around i weigh better than 200 lbs and i can stand on they exhaust horn without it moving 2 mm the car will move but the exhause is ridgid yet look at what the anti lag does to it,
you are asking for trouble using this on a road car for no good reason

thats got a decent air supply and proper not a tiny idle valve etc

Jolly Green Monster 27 November 2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by sonicvr6 (Post 10352710)
thank you simon the turbo is only 12weeks old 3000 or so km on it but i had a coolent problem as you know solved now could i have damaged it in the last week or so wile i was sorting it ??? and do you know where i can get custom intercooler piping from ??

what turbo, where from? just because something is new doesnt mean it is necesserily perfect.

water overheat wouldnt help.. did the turbo run with no water in?