ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Hawkeye interior squeaks & rattles?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/914674-hawkeye-interior-squeaks-and-rattles.html)

scottydwrx 25 November 2011 07:42 PM

Hawkeye interior squeaks & rattles??

Got an annoying squeaky rattle developing when going over bumps / potholes etc. Think it is coming from either the boot and behind rear seat?
Are there any common things on Hawkeyes that can cause this so I can take a closer look and try and pad it out. It doesnt help that the boot lid inners are bare with no insulation or cover etc.! :wonder:
Thanks

kewe 25 November 2011 08:26 PM

Could be the dreaded rear shock knock?

Mines had this when I bought it and I was convinced it was a boot rattle.
Ended up replacing the shock - No more knocking.

Also worth checking it's not jack or wheel brace rattling about.

silverfox72 25 November 2011 08:41 PM

Jack up the car at the rear - lift the rubber / plastic boot on the rear shocks and lube with a good squirt of WD40. It solved mine, i know it's temporary but I cant find anything wrong with the shock it just squeaked a bit.

Worth a go.

IggyRB320 25 November 2011 09:01 PM

Don't think it'll be the shock, they tend to 'knock' not 'rattle'.

When my drop links were OE on the RB, one went and it was a terrible rattle!

s70rjw 25 November 2011 10:12 PM

The rear parcel shelf rubbing against the bulkhead? Easily sorted by placing a rubber bung or two between the 2 surfaces

Silver Scooby Sport 26 November 2011 09:38 AM

You could also look at the rear seat, remove the base part first get your head in the foot well and you will see 2 bolts remove those and the seat base come out this will reveal the fixings for the back, remove the bolts again and then the top of the seat unhooks, it may be the area that's hooked on rattling ? You can then use some sound deadening tape or similar on those hooks then refit the seat just to see if that's it. Thinking of it get someone in the back to listen for the area the seat will not rattle with someone sat in it.

chopperman 26 November 2011 11:45 AM

The windows rattle a bit on mine. All i do is open the window a bit then close again. This seems to stop the rattles. I find there are loads of little rattles in and around the Hawkeye interier. The kids slamming doors doesn't help.

Marshall-P 12 March 2014 04:38 PM

I have a squeak coming from the backseat of mine that sounds like a hyperactive door mouse any ideas i cant quite locate it :C

BrownPantsRacing 12 March 2014 04:40 PM

Think I have the same, sounds more boot/rear end related though. Never found it to date!

Marshall-P 12 March 2014 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 11377497)
Think I have the same, sounds more boot/rear end related though. Never found it to date!

Looks like its time for me to get the girlfriend to drive whilst i sit in the back and investigate further. :)

BrownPantsRacing 12 March 2014 04:49 PM

Brave man!

Marshall-P 12 March 2014 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 11377508)
Brave man!

Very true :lol1:

BrownPantsRacing 12 March 2014 05:00 PM

If she's anything like my Mrs who got all 4 wheels off the ground in my car when I was in the passanger seat... then good luck to you!

jay-sti 12 March 2014 05:13 PM

Mine rattles everywhere , think there attitude was .......engine , 4 wheel drive , **** everything else :lol1:

jazzyjembreaze 12 March 2014 08:19 PM

Open the boot
It's the little square black plastic ( if it has play up & down that's the little b'stard)
Well it's def 1 noise from the boot area that shouldnt be thr :)

justin price 12 March 2014 11:41 PM

Mine rattles from the centre console somewhere. Been bugging me for ages.arrrr!!

PODWRX2 13 March 2014 01:10 PM

I've got a 2010 hatchback...now i'll show you what rattles are. A pillar trim, B pillar trim, centre console, rear load cover, tailgate trim, spare tyre tray......probably because they use recycled bottle tops to make the trim! Terrible when cold. Gradually working my way around everything with felt tape which seems to be helping.

Norman Dog 13 March 2014 09:54 PM

This sounds very similar to the same thing that was driving me insane, open the boot and check if there are any indentations worn in the plastic trim where the rubber feet on the boot lid make contact.

Put a couple of pieces of sticky back rubber or something similar over the indents. This will stop the boot lid rattling. It did with mine anyway. :)

As for interior rattles, I think they're all like that. Just Subaru build quality. :(

cster 14 March 2014 02:14 AM

I can't hear the rattles for the transmission noise.

daviee 14 March 2014 02:45 AM

I have an annoying tedious squeaking squawking sound from the passenger seat, been annoying me since the car was brand new ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, oh hang on its the wife sorted :thumb:

Zammorano 1+8 14 March 2014 10:23 PM

My hawk's dash board rattles a bit! Remember my old blob doing the same too lol

Hawkeye D 15 March 2014 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 11377515)
If she's anything like my Mrs who got all 4 wheels off the ground in my car when I was in the passanger seat... then good luck to you!

Good girl!

Hawkeye D 15 March 2014 07:37 AM

Try spraying the torsion springs that run across from side to side from boot hinge to boot hinge.

This solved an annoying squeak I had on my blob years ago.

They are the springs to help pop the boot up - with the weight of the spoiler etc.

ditchmyster 15 March 2014 08:49 AM

:nono: tut, tut should have bought a blob wrx wagon ppp, no rattles here lads, the mightiest rattle free subaru of them all :hjtwofing :lol1: