ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Leaky boot...... (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/914583-leaky-boot.html)

jimmyinrugby 25 November 2011 09:28 AM

Leaky boot......

Never looked in the boot ! Just went to put something in the swimming pool as thats what it looks like and not a boot ! Would it be likely to be a seal as I have looked around the car joins and everything seems perfect,and idea where I can get a replacement seal if that's what it is...Also I have noticed water constantly appears on the back window (outside) it must be storing it somewhere,any ideas?.Cheers

L&G.scooby 25 November 2011 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by jimmyinrugby (Post 10349236)
Also I have noticed water constantly appears on the back window (outside) it must be storing it somewhere,any ideas?.Cheers

Rain? Stored in the clouds? Maybe?
Only joking mate. :D
Does the seal look perished?

bubba j 25 November 2011 09:38 AM

it could be leaking through the holes that mount the spoiler

jimmyinrugby 25 November 2011 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by L&G.scobby (Post 10349247)
Rain? Stored in the clouds? Maybe?
Only joking mate. :D
Does the seal look perished?

Not really,but I am as thick as pig sh1t,I have looked,but not sure,nothing that stands out put it that way ! What puzzles me after it's been raining and the ground is wet water constantly appears ??

jimmyinrugby 25 November 2011 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by bubba j (Post 10349253)
it could be leaking through the holes that mount the spoiler

Good call,didn't think of that,it really does look like a swimming pool !!

bubba j 25 November 2011 09:43 AM

mine was leaking a while ago, so took the spoiler off and and put silicone around the holes. then refitted the spoiler

bobby260480 25 November 2011 09:43 AM

if its a classic mate it could be the rear lights i had the same problem with mine, i just took the lights out and put loads of silicone round em and bolted em back in!!!

jimmyinrugby 25 November 2011 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by bobby260480 (Post 10349268)
if its a classic mate it could be the rear lights i had the same problem with mine, i just took the lights out and put loads of silicone round em and bolted em back in!!!

Its got aftermarket lights someone said..

http://s1089.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=w11.jpg

jimmyinrugby 25 November 2011 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by bubba j (Post 10349267)
mine was leaking a while ago, so took the spoiler off and and put silicone around the holes. then refitted the spoiler

Is that something an idiot like me can do,or take it to a garage ?
Cheers

bobby260480 25 November 2011 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by jimmyinrugby (Post 10349278)
Its got aftermarket lights someone said..

http://s1089.photobucket.com/albums/...urrent=w11.jpg

They are same as mine pal standard sti lights. Common fault them leaking check inside the lights if they are holding water, almost 99% to be them.
:thumb:

jimmyinrugby 25 November 2011 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by bobby260480 (Post 10349314)
They are same as mine pal standard sti lights. Common fault them leaking check inside the lights if they are holding water, almost 99% to be them.
:thumb:

Cheers,can I do that or is it a garage job ?...If I do it what type of sealant do I use please?
Cheers

monkfish2 25 November 2011 10:23 AM

Waterproof.

SLAB 25 November 2011 11:17 AM

Get a touch climb in and get your m8 to hose the car only kidding m8:D
Three things come to mind boot seal, spoiler fixing holes ,or even worse check up in the wheel arch right up they none for rotting up there

jimmyinrugby 25 November 2011 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by SLAB (Post 10349416)
Get a touch climb in and get your m8 to hose the car only kidding m8:D
Three things come to mind boot seal, spoiler fixing holes ,or even worse check up in the wheel arch right up they none for rotting up there

Help,let me out ! lol.....
I have my mate coming round shortly yo take of the lights and spoiler and seal them,if it still does it I will find a boot seal,but that does look ok...Just bloody hope its not the latter of what you said ! :mad:

Gear Head 25 November 2011 11:32 AM

Will be the lights, 100%, especially if they have been changed and the knob jockey didn't re-seal them. This is the reason for the condensation on your rear windows.

Please don't tell me that this is the car that you are trying to sell?

:wonder:

jimmyinrugby 25 November 2011 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 10349432)
Will be the lights, 100%, especially if they have been changed and the knob jockey didn't re-seal them. This is the reason for the condensation on your rear windows.

Please don't tell me that this is the car that you are trying to sell?

:wonder:

NOT selling it now dude....Going to have a full report done on it this afternnoon,rr etc,and need some tunes urgently for it,then do the susspension etc...:)

speedking 25 November 2011 12:29 PM

When my boot leaked it was the spoiler bolts. Run some water on top of the boot around the spoiler, then if you look inside you will see a drip on the end of the bolt. When you look inside, are they rusty? If not, I wouldn't disturb them.

alcazar 25 November 2011 12:48 PM

Be careful what you seal the lights with.

This is proper stuff: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARAFAX-ID...item45fbd521bf

used on caravans, it doesn't set and doesn't dry out, but WILL allow you to remove the lights should you ever need to in the future.

DO NOT use silicone, if you do, and the lights EVER have to come off again, then :(:(:(:(:(

jimmyinrugby 25 November 2011 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 10349527)
When my boot leaked it was the spoiler bolts. Run some water on top of the boot around the spoiler, then if you look inside you will see a drip on the end of the bolt. When you look inside, are they rusty? If not, I wouldn't disturb them.

Cheers everyone. Took it to the workshop,undid the 4 rusty bolts and re sealed,fingers crossed it does the job...
On the way to the scooby doctor I've noticed that when I boot it water comes out of the rear windscreen jet,this couldn't of been helping....any thoughts ?
Cheers in advance.

alcazar 25 November 2011 06:00 PM

Shouldn't do, unless, the boot seal has gone.

Check it's not weeping inside and get a new non-return valve, pennies.

Out of interest what did you re-seal it with?

ditchmyster 25 November 2011 06:11 PM

Boot leaking? cobblers :wonder:

:)