ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   rebuild glitch (newbie) (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/914576-rebuild-glitch-newbie.html)

petehoonigan 25 November 2011 08:00 AM

rebuild glitch (newbie)

hi everyone im a newbie in need of some advice
ive got a bugeye wrx my00 that ive just completed a strip down and rebuild of the bottom end (crank regrind new conrods big ends and mains)
took it out for a test drive last weekend which didnt last as long as id hoped.
in 1st and 2nd it pulls just fine but loses power backfires and throws huge flames out the exhaust when trying to progress in 3rd 4th and so on
during the bulid i added a japspeed manifold and up pipe a silicone induction hose to the turbo it already has a 3inch non specific stainless steel system and downpipe both cats were removed long before i had to rebuild
it runs ngk iridium plugs sti coil packs an sti fuel reg and walbro 255lph fuel pump turbo is set to 1bar
before bulid it was peaking at 253bhp and 247lbft torque
im hoping ive given enough info to help with possible diagnosis
any help with this would be greatly appreciated as im tearing my hair out trying to work it out :)

r1c 25 November 2011 09:45 AM

Remap? After all those mods

petehoonigan 25 November 2011 10:01 AM

Had it. remapped 6 months ago at revit in solihull before it chewed its bearings the only thing I've changed since then is the manifold and induction pipe.
Would adding those items make it play up that badly? Unfortunately revit has closed down so I can't go back to them to have it sorted out
Would like it to run reasonably ok so I can get it home instead of festering. in my mates back yard :/

PaulJC 25 November 2011 10:50 AM

It'll need another remap for those mods, changing of the induction pipe is an easy way to upset it in quite a big way ;)

DJ_Jon 25 November 2011 11:29 AM

I'd check for air leaks & make sure all the sensors are plugged in on the engine. check the 02 sensor while you are at it.

The back firing & flames could be a coil pack or spark plug breaking down. Is the CEL on?

NOSSY_89 25 November 2011 11:43 AM

Mate definately needs a remap. Thats some crazy over run you have there lol.

happydude303 25 November 2011 02:16 PM

yeah take it to a mapper maybe one who dont slag others off lol and they maight be able to pin point the problem it may well be your plugs or leads or coil pack it might be more sinister

petehoonigan 27 November 2011 12:39 PM

Thanks everyone I've checked it over and sorted plugs and coil packs now I have new problem of its boosting but not making power and the boost is way off the gauge and I'm struggling to get the vac line configuration right I've looked online trying. to find the right way but can't find anything on it :-(