ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   HG how to check? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/914374-hg-how-to-check.html)

Exigecup 23 November 2011 03:29 PM

HG how to check?

Hi,

I've already posted a thread on here about my overheating when off boost Hawkeye WRX and it's clear my car either has a blown HG or more hopefully just an airlock.

My question is how do i check for a knackered HG? sniff test doesnt seem 100% conclusive so what about a compression test? if so i assume this can be done with the engine in situ and with the minimum of work???

Any ideas guys, just want to know what to check and how to do it before I start ebay'ing the kids Xmas pressies to pay for a rebuild :cry:

One last thing I have no visible oil in the coolant or water in the oil and have not had coolant leak anywhere (yet) and my fans kick in nice and early too. The car drives faultlessly with no loss of power or anything amiss other than the overheating issue when crawling along in 2nd gear.

L.J.F 23 November 2011 03:36 PM

Take the car to Neil @ slowboy racing, they are situated close to brands hatch and are more than capable with finding the fault.

jura11 23 November 2011 03:38 PM

As above near to you is Neil@Slowboy racing and he is really honest guy.

Jura

Exigecup 23 November 2011 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by L.J.F (Post 10346255)
Take the car to Neil @ slowboy racing, the are situated close to brandshatch and are more than capable with finding the fault.

Funny you should say that. The car was absolutely fine and then I took it into them for a cambelt change, full service and fitment of a VF48 turbo. I then had the car remapped by Duncan at Racedynamix the following day (and he said it ran fine with no issues he could spot) only for the overheating problem to appear that afternoon.

I am not saying it has anything to do with Neil but for good measure I will be getting him to look into the changing of the coolant and fitment of hoses, etc after paying them to do the work in the 1st placement and for this to then happen straight afterwards.

I just thought I would post a thread on here for some advice about what else I can ask them to check to see if it really is the HG?

L.J.F 23 November 2011 03:49 PM

I just read the other thread and seen who carried out the work PMSL. Right defo get Neil to look over the car as it seems like you have a small issue somewhere with the cooling system. Dont worry about it being the headgasket gone, if it was then it would overheat all the time and you would notice a loss of coolant so dont panic:) It is more than likely a small air lock in the system.

L.J.F 23 November 2011 03:54 PM

Just out of curiousity, what mods have you done and what power you getting from your VF48??

I am also running with a 48:D

Exigecup 23 November 2011 04:07 PM

It's a 2006 WRX with Sti intercooler, HRC fuel pump, 3 port solenoid and VF48. Made 350 bhp and 402 lbs torque on Hayes dyno in Erith after Duncan mapped it. Duncan said there was more to come but the car has done 95K (93k of that as a standard car) and even with FSH I didnt want to push it too hard. Rooting thru the service history there are bills for literally everything apart from a new clutch so I'm thinking it may have the original on it (!)

Really pleased with the extra performance now altho it has highlighted the need for uprating the brakes and ageing suspension.

r33gts2009 23 November 2011 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by L.J.F (Post 10346255)
Take the car to Neil @ slowboy racing, they are situated close to brands hatch and are more than capable with finding the fault.

Roof scoop £60 on eBay mate

Exigecup 23 November 2011 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by r33gts2009 (Post 10346308)
Roof scoop £60 on eBay mate

Eh? is this anygood at detecting HG failure then?:wonder:

Dave Y 23 November 2011 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Exigecup (Post 10346303)
It's a 2006 WRX with Sti intercooler, HRC fuel pump, 3 port solenoid and VF48. Made 350 bhp and 402 lbs torque on Hayes dyno in Erith after Duncan mapped it. Duncan said there was more to come but the car has done 95K (93k of that as a standard car) and even with FSH I didnt want to push it too hard. Rooting thru the service history there are bills for literally everything apart from a new clutch so I'm thinking it may have the original on it (!)

Really pleased with the extra performance now altho it has highlighted the need for uprating the brakes and ageing suspension.

350..Happy Days. Is that with a sports cat/de cat?No other mods?

Exigecup 23 November 2011 04:41 PM

oh yeah, forgot to mention thats with a full decat / japspeed exhaust.

Dave Y 23 November 2011 04:46 PM

if and when you give it what for do you get any noise turbo?

L.J.F 23 November 2011 04:47 PM

That is very good figures mate, i would be really chuffed with that torque too:) shame you have to consider your 5speed box otherwise you could fit aftermarket headers and a harvey up-pipe and really up that torque:D

I am using 20% meth on a 2.0 Sti and it does cover ground fast:)

L.J.F 23 November 2011 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Y (Post 10346349)
if and when you give it what for do you get any noise turbo?

Mine does give a lot of turbo whistle and chatter, sounds really good tbh.

Dave Y 23 November 2011 04:59 PM

thats what i get...for a while i thought i had problems. Better get back to the HG problem

r33gts2009 24 November 2011 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Exigecup (Post 10346323)
Eh? is this anygood at detecting HG failure then?:wonder:

I just saw WANTED NEWAGE ROOF FLAP so I just said where I saw one , just trying to be helpful

Exigecup 26 November 2011 09:43 PM

Ok, stranger still

Right, cars been driving fine for 3 days now and that was in stop/start traffic in London. Does this mean my HG is fine or does a dodgy HG only show up now and then ????

This is effing annoying. And no I don't need a roof flap !!! :freak3: :cuckoo:

scooby1929 26 November 2011 09:55 PM

Certainly sounds okay. I had a hg go on a car and it just always wanted to overheat. Sounds like it was an airlock that has unlocked itself