ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Induction options ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/914228-induction-options.html)

Rob Day 22 November 2011 12:27 PM

Induction options ?

2002 STI JDM Bugeye, hoping to get to around the 400bhp marker soon with one hit of mods (retaining TMIC) and remap. Going forward I will push it futher to around the 450bhp threshold but not until Feb/March>.

Im aware that the standard induction will normal achieve the 400bhp mark, but im after options please.

Rob

PS
My previous Bug had the fog feed, with ducting upto the inner wing, which I eventually extended to the engine bay when I went FMIC. However I was hoping not to go down the fog feed route if possible (aesthetical reason)

Shaun 22 November 2011 12:37 PM

Ignore me.... just re-read your post! :D

KAS35RSTI 22 November 2011 12:42 PM

I got a huge HKS filter for sale if interested.

banny sti 22 November 2011 12:45 PM

Stick with an RCM K&N with a trumpet Rob :)

eggy790 22 November 2011 01:00 PM

i have one for sale too rob if you need ;) as ive gone larger rcm :)

same as this: http://www.rogerclarkmotorsport.co.u...productID=1150

the one i had in wing

Eddy

craigyp 22 November 2011 01:25 PM

So u selling the rcm one mate? Is it the large maf one??

TonyBurns 22 November 2011 01:43 PM

Standard airbox is good for what you want, just put in a good panel filter and bobs your uncle :D

Tony:)

Rob Day 22 November 2011 03:43 PM

Kas / Eggy - PM me more info please. Tony - I read the standard induction good for 400, but I would need a better panel filter, so rather than buy this I might as well look into a CAI which will save me the trouble of altering this in the future (hopefully). Although Im penniless the plan is to find the right Turbo for around the 400 marker, and all other suporting mods to up to and beyone 450. The reason im doing it this way is because to find a Turbo thats capable of 450 at this stage would cost me the best part of a grand 2nd hand, where as 400 is doable for less than half the cost. I suppose its all about the timing with xmas just around the corner etc, I just hate driving around with only 300. Sorry in advance for any typos and script issues, all written on my acer mobile. Regards, Rob

KAS35RSTI 22 November 2011 04:19 PM

Its just a HKS Super Flow filter with a 80mm neck. The mushroom shape in green. Its almost brand new!

I dont need it therefore £45 & its yours.

Let me know i can forward pics.

harvey 23 November 2011 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 10344492)
Standard airbox is good for what you want, just put in a good panel filter and bobs your uncle :D

Tony:)

I agree completely with Tony. Your OE airbox is good beyond 400 bhp.
The OE filter is as good as anything else but the problem is you have to change it every 3000-5000 miles whereas with a K+N you can clean it every 3000 miles for very little money. It is a Scooby myth that you get more power from an aftermarket filter.
Your problem is that if you are going to continue to run your MAF sensor the space to fit a large enough cone is very restricted.
Unless you put a lot of work in to it the cold air kit with filter in the inner wing is a retrograde step because you cannot get sufficiently large filter in the inner wing to compensate for the inlet tract length.
You might want to read Shaun's project thread.
In your position I would stick with the OE airbox until you were ready to go to the 450 bhp spec.

LewisL 23 November 2011 12:08 PM

I got a pretty big K & N which will fit if your planning on staying with the top mount. its a 80mm outlet its in good condition just a clean & re-oil.

you will need some sort of hard pipe with the MAF moutning plate bit seen a few of them popping up on here I bought 1 for £12 but will be using it with the HKS mushroom i just bought as i plan on going FMIC so needed the room the HKS gives.