ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   For the whisky drinkers (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/914196-for-the-whisky-drinkers.html)

ScoobyDriverWannabe 22 November 2011 01:51 AM

For the whisky drinkers

A 40-year-old single malt whisky is to go on sale at a budget supermarket chain.

Aldi is predicting queues of eager shoppers to snake out of the doors as 3,000 bottles of the bargain whisky, made at a Scottish distillery in 1971, go on sale across its 450 UK stores on 8 December.

Aldi said today it is the first supermarket to sell a whisky of this age and expects it to sell out within hours. The whisky will cost just £49.99 a bottle
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...#ixzz1eOW6EqhY

:/ Probs be hard to get hold of though with each store only getting about 6 bottles

CREWJ 22 November 2011 07:56 AM

I'd love to try it :eek:

Rapid17 22 November 2011 08:33 AM

No whiskey is worth 50 quid a bottle imho.

Geoff.

dpb 22 November 2011 08:54 AM

Shirley that would depend how desperate you were :Suspciou

Simon C 22 November 2011 09:32 AM

That I would quite happily pay £50!

Got a couple of £50 bottles at home.

TonyBurns 22 November 2011 10:07 AM

Have a 40yr old whiskey set aside for a special occasion, there is a fair bit of difference between a 40yr old and a 12 yr old whiskey, its much smoother the older it gets, and I dont really drink whiskey but I did enjoy this one (they had a sample so had a try ;))
I think I may be popping down for both the 24 and the 40 yr old's, no point in not trying to get them or trying them both out ;):D

Tony:)

RobsyUK 22 November 2011 10:39 AM

If I get one does anyone wanna buy it off me? £80 lol

ALi-B 22 November 2011 10:44 AM

Tempted. I'd prefer to try it first.

Could taste like Ardbeg. Not saying its rank...someone must like it. Just a bit harsh for my liking.

On the other hand it could be like a 25ry old Talisker. Yummy.

If its on the shelf when I go in, I may buy it as I don't have any 40yr olds left. Last one I had came direct from the Highland Park distillery. Didn't last long!

Leslie 22 November 2011 01:16 PM

I bet it tastes pretty good, but its a hell of a waste of money.

Les

bonesetter 22 November 2011 01:34 PM

3000 bottles between 450 stores, and nothing to say the bottles will be equally shared.

Would really need to be tasted to ascertain quality, but if it's single malt it should be good

SiPie 22 November 2011 01:45 PM

Looks like the cheaper one should be avoided :eek:

Glen Marnoch – 24 Year old Single Malt – 70cl – 40% abv (£29.99 from Aldi)
Nose: wet cardboard, steamed veg, Bovril, toasted brown bread.

Palate: Some green banana, a hint of tinned pineapple, sweet tea. But really sweet tea. This is one of the sweetest drams I’ve ever tasted. Once the sweetness hits, and it is not a good, brown sugar sweetness, it’s an artificial sweetener saccharine-style flavour, you don’t get much more out of it.

Finish: Copper and liquorice with a touch of salted caramel give way to damp wood and wet leaves, post-autumn.

Overall: Pretty one dimensional and to be honest, pretty poor. I just can’t get the saccharine flavour out of my mouth and I’m not a fan of very sweet whisky. Not a bottling for me, even at £29.99

Glenbridge – 40 Year Old Speyside Single Malt Whisky – 70cl - 40% abv (£49.99 from Aldi)

Nose: A hint of smoke, some orange peel, marmalade / dry jaffa cake notes. New leather and wax jacket, but the overriding tone is dried orange peel.

Palate: Warming, oily palate of cough sweets, orange again (the middle of a jaffa cake), some wood tones, fresh figs, melon wrapped in param ham and a wee bit of coffee.

Finish: The orange lingers, developing in to cherry sweets and cracked black pepper. This whisky has been matured in European Oak Sherry casks and this really hits through on the finish, adding spices to the stewed fruits of the palate.

Overall: In a word, this stuff is very tasty. Take the age statement off this and it would still be a cracking drink for £49.99. Stick it on, and you have an absolute steal of a whisky. Warning, it does fall apart a little with water.

In summary, the 40 is great, esp at the price they’re knocking it out at. But sadly the 24 Years Old really isn’t that great. The biggest question is why? Why are Aldi doing this? Are they hoping to lure in people who wouldn’t normally shop there, pre-Xmas or are they wanting to reward their loyal customer base with a steal of a whisky?

Either way, with only 3000 bottles across 450 stores, we'll all be pretty lucky if we get hold of one. And so it is that I wish you good luck, yet at the same time apologise in advance for my elbows in your face, as the shutter on my local Aldi rises for the sale.

ALi-B 22 November 2011 02:43 PM

Methinks the 25yr is overpriced and profits from that subsidises the underpiced 40yr old.

dagger 22 November 2011 04:13 PM

I love me whisky - BUT i wouldn't pay £50

rather get something for the car ;-)

ALi-B 22 November 2011 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by dagger (Post 10344675)
I love me whisky - BUT i wouldn't pay £50

rather get something for the car ;-)

Three quarters of a tank of petrol :lol1:

Hysteria1983 22 November 2011 08:12 PM

Group buy anyone? Christmas tipple at mine?! ;)

dpb 22 November 2011 08:37 PM

I did once attempt a ten tear old vintage

bonesetter 22 November 2011 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983 (Post 10345131)
Group buy anyone? Christmas tipple at mine?! ;)

You can't buy it online :facepalm:

Hysteria1983 23 November 2011 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by bonesetter (Post 10345318)
You can't buy it online :facepalm:

Who said anything about buying it online??

I will just have all my SN mukkas over, charge for a nice tipple, ricks or no rocks.

Of course bonesetter - it's all just pretend you know, having a laugh... And stuff :D