ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   help help help airlock keeps coming back (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/914171-help-help-help-airlock-keeps-coming-back.html)

sonicvr6 21 November 2011 09:18 PM

help help help airlock keeps coming back

right had a pump fail on me so new pump belt cosworth head gaskets stat coolant the lot then had a air lock the next day drained sorted was fine till tonight and got a air lock again the only ting i aint changed is the rad cap could it be letting water into the bottle and not back in again

chopperman 21 November 2011 09:26 PM

It might be silly but my mechanical trade was with bikes not cars .. With bikes airlocks used to be a problem if the coolant was poured in to quickly. If you trickled in so the air could escape as the coolant went in you rarely had an airlock problem. If you did you just got the engine hot with the rad cap off but i know you have tried this from your other thread.
Good luck.

sonicvr6 21 November 2011 09:28 PM

yeah got rid of it but come back did it slow as hell last time and filled it through the matrixs and rad then the rad pipe then the cap then burped but it's back

Jolly Green Monster 21 November 2011 09:34 PM

best way I find is to fill through the water pipe to turbo.. once you can get no more in, run the engine with rad cap off until the thermostat opens.. you will know when because the water level will drop.. keep filling and then all of a sudden the water level in the header tank will rise.. put the cap on and turn engine off.. let it cool and top up..

usually no issue..

it does sound more like headgasket issue tbh, hoping not

Simon

sonicvr6 21 November 2011 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster (Post 10343637)
best way I find is to fill through the water pipe to turbo.. once you can get no more in, run the engine with rad cap off until the thermostat opens.. you will know when because the water level will drop.. keep filling and then all of a sudden the water level in the header tank will rise.. put the cap on and turn engine off.. let it cool and top up..

usually no issue..

it does sound more like headgasket issue tbh, hoping not

Simon

just fitted 2 new ones wednesday and skimmed the heads

chopperman 21 November 2011 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by sonicvr6 (Post 10343644)
just fitted 2 new ones wednesday and skimmed the heads

Have you had a sniff test to check you have not got a head gasket internal leak ? Theres only so many places you can be drawing air in without noticing a leak ??

sonicvr6 21 November 2011 09:44 PM

yes been sniff tested only place it could be drwawing in is the cap

chopperman 21 November 2011 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by sonicvr6 (Post 10343658)
yes been sniff tested only place it could be drwawing in is the cap

Worth a go just to rule it out. I would think it unlikely tho because the cap is the high point, unless its draws it in when it cools. Your not treating your baby to some nice perrier sparkling water are you ? lol

sonicvr6 21 November 2011 09:58 PM

nope get's the best of everything 20k to date (14 weeks) building the thing

bonski 21 November 2011 11:59 PM

sounds like head gasket , mine just done that had to get head tested and new gaskets ,water pump etc, fine now though

sonicvr6 22 November 2011 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by bonski (Post 10343942)
sounds like head gasket , mine just done that had to get head tested and new gaskets ,water pump etc, fine now though

just fitted all that cos it got hot once when the water pump whent

RICHARD J 22 November 2011 07:49 AM

Did you have the heads crack tested? May have been the problem all along.

sonicvr6 22 November 2011 12:26 PM

head gaskets didnt go but i changed them just in case and yes was tested think i found the problem there's a his from one of the turbo water pipes :) think i've craked it at last

alcazar 22 November 2011 04:19 PM

If you've cracked a pipe that will suck air in.

:D

sonicvr6 22 November 2011 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10344696)
If you've cracked a pipe that will suck air in.

:D

yes i know fixed now lol just going to take it out now :)