ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Hawkeye - dipstick oil level (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/914162-hawkeye-dipstick-oil-level.html)

Flight 21 November 2011 08:39 PM

Hawkeye - dipstick oil level

Odd query ... But when I check the oil level, one side of the dipstick has oil higher up the stick than the other side. Don't understand why?? But which level should I use as a reading?

Turbotits 21 November 2011 08:46 PM

Very common. Use the higher level. Dont over fill with oil

Scott.T 21 November 2011 09:01 PM

noticed this aswell with my Hawk, didn't really notice it on my previous classics.

chrisl25lnf 21 November 2011 09:22 PM

what happens if its over filled ??? :confused::wonder:
:lol:

djandyg 21 November 2011 09:25 PM

common with a lot of cars....try and check when the engines been turned off for a while its been hot...will run down into the sump quicker when hot...also, the surface the car parked on not being totally level can have this effect

prodriverules 21 November 2011 09:25 PM

It is higher on one side due the angle the dipstick enters the oil at ie not straight down,as mentioned use the higher level:thumb:

djandyg 21 November 2011 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by chrisl25lnf (Post 10343609)
what happens if its over filled ??? :confused::wonder:
:lol:

depends how much its over fillted by?

Dipstick is actually only a rough guide in total fairness....so if only a bit over then i wouldnt stress too much. Massively over filled can blow seals, over pressurise, ruin your cat to name a few things...

Flight 21 November 2011 09:44 PM

Thanks all. Must be one hell of an angle for a 1mm thick dipstick to have such different readings on each side.

prodriverules 21 November 2011 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Flight (Post 10343659)
Thanks all. Must be one hell of an angle for a 1mm thick dipstick to have such different readings on each side.

If you look at the twist in the dipstick tube at the lower part where it enters the sump you will see why it has such a difference in height when dipped.

ALi-B 21 November 2011 10:22 PM

Look closer.

You'll notice across the width of the dipstick you see oil at the edges but the middle bit is still dry (unless you faff about while reading it).

The oil level is where the oil crosses the entire width of the dipstick. This will be more or less the same on both sides. Oil at the edges is just whats scraped off the tube - this differs on both sides. Also read it quick as the oil tends to creep ;)

If in doubt, sod the dipstick and use a length of semi-rigid wire (or similar, like net curtain wire etc) the same length as the dipstick (don't drop it all the way in though :nono: ).

ALi-B 21 November 2011 10:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
see attached

...seamus... 18 June 2012 10:09 PM

i'm pleased I found this - i've not had my wrx long and the oil level has been weirding me out

never had this with any other car in 20 years

any other car ----> pull dipstick, check level, replace

wrx ----> pull dipstick, turn it about a bit, clean it again, put it back in, pull dipstick, reads differently, wipe clean, insert again, pull again, look at both sides which have different levels again

repeat until death :brickwall

Baz82 19 June 2012 01:33 AM

Ah Im not the only one !

ALi-B 19 June 2012 10:04 AM

What you are probably seeing is the disptick catching oil residue from the side of the dipstick tube.

Remove the dipstick, leave it a few mins to allow the oil residue in the tube drain, clean diptsick and insert and remove the dipstick slowely. Then read the level immediately.

I'ved serviced quite a few different cars over the years and its getting more and more common on modern cars with the dipstick catching oil from the tube. The best dipsticks are ones with cross-hatching which help oil cling to it, you probably could modify a scooby one with an engraver or similar.

Also having dirtier oil makes it easier to read (one reason why I used to like Duckhams QXR back in the day....as it was green so easy to see! ):lol1:

jazzyjembreaze 19 June 2012 10:10 AM

Take the rubber "O" ring off the top of the dipstick
You will now have a level oil read / replace "O" ring once topped up
Simple :)

Reshard1977 19 June 2012 11:05 AM

Ahhhhh, i'm so glad i'm not the only once that gets confussed about this!

Each time some work that involves changing the oil gets done, i check and top up. But, every single time, after the top ups i end up with too much oil!

Now my car sounds like a diesel :-(