ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   The 'mod' path... (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/91402-the-mod-path.html)

Hugh138 28 April 2002 06:20 PM

I would be very grateful if someone could explain in words of no more than 2 syllables what the recommended upgrade path is. Ideal info would include info like costs (install and insurance premium increase), power/driveability gains and reliability issues.

I ideally want power mods rather than looks, insurance friendly, won't kill my engine and that don't break the bank balance too much :) I've got a standard MY98 saloon.

Thanks for all help recieved!

DodgeT 28 April 2002 09:05 PM

AFAIK the best start would be exhaust (preferably full system) then air filter.
This should give you good performance gains probably about 20ish bhp & maintain if not improve driveability.

Jay m A 29 April 2002 12:21 PM

Getting the handling sorted can be an inexpensive way to an enhanced driving experience :).

Powerstation bumpsteer removal will give your car less understeer, costs £120 + VAT

Eibach springs work well on UK cars, £120 for a set I think.

solid drop links for the ARB's £40 a set.

Thicker ARB's, cost £80 - £100.

Brakes, fit braided hoses and DOT 5.1 fluid £60ish, uprate disks and pads - £200ish

Exhaust - full system decat around £550-£600, most significant power increase if done in stages is the downpipe, £200 and you loose a cat.

If on a budget the 'for sale' section has 2nd hand exhausts on a regular basis.

Effects on insurance is really quite dependent on your insurer.

Hope this helps :)

Justin

Hugh138 29 April 2002 07:17 PM

Thanks Justin, some good info there. Driveability mods are a definite idea. Are the insurance co. really gonna up my premiums for changing the springs?

Do I want an air filter or induction kit and what will it do for me? Will upgrading to a prodrive or link ecu reduce the life of my engine by a large amount?

Sorry for the noddy questions :)

Jamie Whitfield 29 April 2002 08:29 PM

The most insurance friendly mod and probably the most effective for the money - the Dawes Device Boost Controller.

An Exhaust system and panel filter, very effective!

We have some great offers on kits containing these items.

Click on my banner or email me for some details.

Jamie

www.j-w-racing.com
www.performanceexhausts.net

Jay m A 30 April 2002 11:38 AM

Filters? I've removed the resonator and replaced the panel filter (the resonator is before the filter, it reduces the induction noise and is restrictive) however induction kits work well. There are some reports of MAF failures related to some induction kits but I think its model dependent, ask around.

The Dawes device will aid spool-up and can be set for the same boost as std for insurance purposes I suppose, but try convincing the insurance company that :)

Springs can affect insurance if they lower the car, again the best advice is to declare all mods and see what they say.

Justin