ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Rusty sill and a failed MOT (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/913665-rusty-sill-and-a-failed-mot.html)

nesbo 17 November 2011 09:28 PM

Rusty sill and a failed MOT

Hello Everyone

Well today my little 3 door MY98 Type-R V-Limited failed her MOT - GUTTED !!

The tester (my best mates relative) has said that the N/S outer sill is a goner and beyond patching. He has said the entire sill needs replaced. I have been trawling the web and so far have not seen any replacements available.

The only way around this that I can see is to have a new sill fabricated and then fit skirts to hide the bad look. Having spent loads on her already funds are low so reluctantly i not fussed what the sill looks like (hence the skirts).

Has anyone managed to find replacement sills -or would anyone know if using a 4 door sill with some clever welding would do the trick.

To break this car would break my heart after pouring blood, sweat and cash into her.

Thanks for reading :(

Iain250 17 November 2011 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by nesbo (Post 10337228)
Hello Everyone

Well today my little 3 door MY98 Type-R V-Limited failed her MOT - GUTTED !!

The tester (my best mates relative) has said that the N/S outer sill is a goner and beyond patching. He has said the entire sill needs replaced. I have been trawling the web and so far have not seen any replacements available.

The only way around this that I can see is to have a new sill fabricated and then fit skirts to hide the bad look. Having spent loads on her already funds are low so reluctantly i not fussed what the sill looks like (hence the skirts).

Has anyone managed to find replacement sills -or would anyone know if using a 4 door sill with some clever welding would do the trick.

To break this car would break my heart after pouring blood, sweat and cash into her.

Thanks for reading :(

has he chalked where its gone m8 - i had to do mine last year as jacking points had gone but it was pretty easy to cut out and plate i ground the welds back galvafroided them then underseal and waxoyl -dont panic id be suprised if its not saveable

iain.

ditchmyster 17 November 2011 11:03 PM

Don't panic all the sills are the same so you dont need a 2 door sill any classic will do, i'm sure you will find it at the main dealers.

:)

nesbo 18 November 2011 07:20 AM

Thanks for your replies chaps

It's the entire outer n/s sill so it would need to be matched up to the door.

If the sills are the same in the 3 and 4 doors I'll get one ordered today from Subaru.

It seems to be such a common problem area.

I'll post an update and let you all know how I get on.

Cheers
Nesbo

ianbott 18 November 2011 07:30 AM

I can't see it being as bad as he makes out otherwise I'd be very surprised it passed an MOT test last year.
That is providing it hasn't been sat in salt water :lol:

shag 18 November 2011 09:03 PM

any chance you could pop a picture up for us to take a look?