ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Let the train take the strain (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/913501-let-the-train-take-the-strain.html)

Chip 16 November 2011 05:26 PM

Let the train take the strain

Just been up to London for a few days and went on the train for a change and it is so much better than taking the car.

Only took 2 hours rom Cardiff instead of about 3 in the car, no parking charges, no tank of fuel and no toll on my return into Wales. Train was on time both ways, clean, had bogs, a cafe, TV on the seat in front and was comfy as well.

And all for £46 return for the two of us. What a bargain. :)

Snazy 16 November 2011 05:33 PM

I must admit I recently did the same travelling to Derby, and was pleased with the break from driving, and worked out a little cheaper than petrol.

Downside, no car to use at the other end. So its ok if you dont need a car, but can suck if you need to get about.

Chip 16 November 2011 06:23 PM

In London though I suppose you have the tube which gives an excellent service and is cheap as well if you use an Oyster card.

dpb 16 November 2011 06:48 PM

Thats no commuter fare presumably lol

Chip 16 November 2011 06:49 PM

No, off peak.

RobsyUK 16 November 2011 06:51 PM

Go to London everyday for work... The wife does it and god I've been down with her a few times and the dirty tramps that use the underground... Nasty...

Sooner they do first class underground the better.

Wait until your delayed regulary, no trains or stuck on one for hours...
won't be a great service any more ;)

andy-m 16 November 2011 06:51 PM

no part of the tube in london could be deemed to provide an "excelent service". theres usualy delays or parts of lines suspended and sometimes strikes by overpaid tube drivers !
probably fine if you are an infrequent user ho happens to visit on a god day but if you rely on the tubes to get to work daily (As i have done in the past) its utter crap. over charged, cramped conditions that often reach over 40°c in the summer, delays and strikes !

Snazy 16 November 2011 06:59 PM

Aaaah London, gawd bless our transport.
My nice clean london overground train arrived on time, at both ends of the journey delivering me home for £1.30... Suits me lol

Sod doing it peak time though lol

alcazar 16 November 2011 07:55 PM

Yes, the train is great when it works.

But when there are problems, it's wose than the car.

If there's a traffic jam with you in it, at lesast you have a comfy seat, entertainment etc.

My wife came back to Doncaster from London when the wires had been down. Her train was delayed two and half hours.........and I mean it took FOUR hours to do London Doncaster.

She had to stand in the vestibule the whole time, no chance of sitting, the train was so jammed that when it stopped to pick up at Stevenage, NO-ONE could get on.

Conditions in the vestibule were awful due to people's luggage, hardly anywhere to put your feet, let alone sit, and about eight people jammed into that space.

She now dreads train journeys.

Jaybird-UK 16 November 2011 08:36 PM

I don't use public transport but I did once go into poundland and can only imagine its something like that.

Chip 17 November 2011 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK (Post 10335415)
I don't use public transport but I did once go into poundland and can only imagine its something like that.

Oh god no! I would never lower my standards to that level.;)

Leslie 17 November 2011 12:33 PM

Thats a very cheap ticket Chip, I know we have a longer distance from here than you have from Cardiff, but the cost of the ticket from here is dreadful compared with that.

Les

davegtt 17 November 2011 12:36 PM

The train is ridiculous, I live in a town that the main line runs through, its just over an hour to London and the ticket prices are just crazy.

alcazar 17 November 2011 12:40 PM

They all are.........BUT, there ARE some cheapies to be had if a) you search t'internet, and/or b) you book early.

Eample:

When Virgin were doing Cross Country,
Swinton, (Yorks) to Southampton Parkway 1st Class Return, quoted price at ticket office: £132.

Price I got it for : £38.

Get out there and get looking.........

Snazy 17 November 2011 12:59 PM

I can do Derby for £19 each way if booked a few days in advance, or £60+ on the day.
Madness if you ask me.

Cant complain at the prices on my Oyster card for getting to and from work

Tidgy 17 November 2011 01:00 PM

thast very cheap lol

£150 return from nottingham lol

Snazy 17 November 2011 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 10336280)
thast very cheap lol

Whaaaat, to where?
Ant got 1st class for about £25 quid the other day lol

Chip 17 November 2011 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 10336280)
thast very cheap lol

Thats funny, I just looked and xcan get it from £32 return.

DYK 17 November 2011 05:44 PM

:lol1:

What are the prices like.

Tidgy 17 November 2011 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Snazy (Post 10336344)
Whaaaat, to where?
Ant got 1st class for about £25 quid the other day lol

to london st panc, im guessing off peak times at that price, when i travel down is pretty much at comuter times so get well and truley stung, not my bill though hehe

hutton_d 17 November 2011 06:14 PM

What? Poundland has buses and trains running through it? What are the fares like .... :Suspiciou :D

Dave

Snazy 17 November 2011 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 10336790)
to london st panc, im guessing off peak times at that price, when i travel down is pretty much at comuter times so get well and truley stung, not my bill though hehe

Well this IS Ant we are talking about lol

Jamescsti 18 November 2011 01:13 PM

i used to swear i would never use public transport now i use trains daily and have to say im much more relaxed and also healthier as i walk 5 miles each way or cycle to the station. saving about 40 quid a month too just on fuel never mind wear and tear.

Snazy 18 November 2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jamescsti (Post 10337987)
i used to swear i would never use public transport now i use trains daily and have to say im much more relaxed and also healthier as i walk 5 miles each way or cycle to the station. saving about 40 quid a month too just on fuel never mind wear and tear.

Same sort of thing here. Would never be a commuter monkey. But now I get a train to and from work. That said, if I was travelling at peak time I would still drive. The walks to and from the station are nice at the mo too.

There is a time and a place to use trains and other public transport.... OFF PEAK lol

TelBoy 18 November 2011 01:31 PM

What never ceases to amaze me is the difference between pre-booked and on-the-spot fares. I was caught once when i needed to go to Bath, rocked up at St Pancakes and was charged £115. I nearly fell over. Pre-booked that fare was under £30. It makes train travel as a spontaneous decision either very expensive or unviable.

davegtt 18 November 2011 02:45 PM

Friend bought some tickets prebooked online to visit family when we got back off holiday. Whilst on holiday he was mugged and they took his wallet with his bank card in. When he got back to the UK and had to collect his train ticket, the ticket booth was closed and had no way of getting his ticket, he had to pay for a second over inflated ticket. Even after a letter to GNER he had no response from them to reimburse it. Crap service if you ask me.

Scooby Soon! 18 November 2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 10335049)
Just been up to London for a few days and went on the train for a change and it is so much better than taking the car.

Only took 2 hours rom Cardiff instead of about 3 in the car, no parking charges, no tank of fuel and no toll on my return into Wales. Train was on time both ways, clean, had bogs, a cafe, TV on the seat in front and was comfy as well.

And all for £46 return for the two of us. What a bargain. :)

I would pay ten times that amount to get out of wales but I would be happy with a single no need to return

Chip 19 November 2011 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 10338127)
I would pay ten times that amount to get out of wales but I would be happy with a single no need to return

Don't waste your money as we don't let pricks like you into Wales anyway.

Scooby Soon! 19 November 2011 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 10339418)
Don't waste your money as we don't let pricks like you into Wales anyway.

http://tottenhamonmymind.files.wordp...b_handbags.jpg

Its not my fault you live in wales, don't take it out on me!

GC8 19 November 2011 10:20 PM

Dont anger the sons of Awain Glyndwyr! You English *******s!

:D