ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Is my diesel car making my wife sick? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/912854-is-my-diesel-car-making-my-wife-sick.html)

Dingdongler 11 November 2011 08:32 PM

Is my diesel car making my wife sick?

This may sound really stupid but ever since I've changed my car for a diesel my wife.feels sick when she's in the car.

Twice she's actually vommed. She doesn't get travel sick on planes, trains etc so this is all very strange.

Now all jokes aside, is it possible that diesel fumes are making her feel sick?
Is this possible? If it is that would be great news as it gives me a great reason to get rid of this diesel pos and buy something saucy again!

Brun 11 November 2011 08:52 PM

Yep - can deffo happen ;-)

Brun 11 November 2011 08:53 PM

;)

Dingdongler 11 November 2011 09:07 PM

No seriously though, could it be diesel fumes or is it all coincidental!

Thanks

Brun 11 November 2011 09:12 PM

Can't answer Ding but i am just trying to aid your reason for sommat saucy.
How's about you chop the soot chucker in for the new M5 to see if the symptoms clear up - that's a win, win situation. If the symptoms persist then it only drops to a lose, win situation :thumb:

Brun 11 November 2011 09:15 PM

Inhaling vapors can have many effects, including causing nausea, headaches, a lightheaded feeling, and eye irritation.
A quick google search found the above. How about running the a/c on recirc so no fumes etc from outside can enter the cabin?

hodgy0_2 11 November 2011 09:16 PM

maybe used to the firmer ride of the M5

MZP 11 November 2011 09:28 PM

Depends what it is, but my ex used to get sick in my BMW diesel - the big whump of torque used to make her honk.

EmzWRX 11 November 2011 10:09 PM

Diesel cars make me sick............Give me a wacking migraine too.........Yes can happen........ :)

mamoon2 11 November 2011 10:20 PM

Maybe its the smooth ride?

EmzWRX 11 November 2011 10:31 PM

Defo the smell thing....... I've not noticed it in the works new Diesel cars and vans, but they don't seem to smell like some of the diesels I've been in, perhaps coz they are new, dunno.........

hutton_d 11 November 2011 10:48 PM

Could be the fumes or ...

Originally Posted by mamoon2 (Post 10327939)
Maybe its the smooth ride?

... as a kid I used to get car sick. I was fine on rattly old school buses but I was always ill on coaches. It's that sea-sick-type feeling where the suspension is under-damped and rolls about a lot. If I ever tried to read whilst in the car well, headache almost straight away.

Dave

The Zohan 12 November 2011 03:49 AM

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5055/...0d30e4dd70.jpg
;)

seriously isn't this likely to be down to body roll and bags of torque or are there diesel fumes getting into the car?

Dingdongler 12 November 2011 06:59 AM

Thanks guys.

I'm not sure what you guys mean by the torque making her sick. Though its got more torque than the M5 I obviously drove the M5 a lot faster and accelerated a lot harder.

The thing with the fumes is that you can't actually smell the fumes inside the cabin. When I was a small kid my dad had a diesel car and I would sometimes feel a bit queasy in that from the fumes. But in those days you could really smell the diesel inside the car, I can't smell a thing in this car.

The smooth ride idea is interesting, that never occurred to me.

Its getting to the point now that the wife can't travel in the car for more than about 20 minutes without feeling really sick. Twice she vomited, once really badly. At that time we thought she must have had a little bug (and it was time of the month as well).

We'll see how it goes over the next few months, but unless it settles something will have to be done.

The Zohan 12 November 2011 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 10328135)
Thanks guys.

I'm not sure what you guys mean by the torque making her sick. Though its got more torque than the M5 I obviously drove the M5 a lot faster and accelerated a lot harder.

The thing with the fumes is that you can't actually smell the fumes inside the cabin. When I was a small kid my dad had a diesel car and I would sometimes feel a bit queasy in that from the fumes. But in those days you could really smell the diesel inside the car, I can't smell a thing in this car.

The smooth ride idea is interesting, that never occurred to me.

Its getting to the point now that the wife can't travel in the car for more than about 20 minutes without feeling really sick. Twice she vomited, once really badly. At that time we thought she must have had a little bug (and it was time of the month as well).

We'll see how it goes over the next few months, but unless it settles something will have to be done.

try hiring/borrowing (from BMW?) something else - a non diesel similar to your car and take her out in that?

stilover 12 November 2011 10:27 AM

I'd say it's down to the suspension/ride quality of your car.

One of our Directors years ago had a Saab 9-5. I sometimes felt queasy in that. The ride felt disconnected to the road.

You have the new 5 Series don't you Ding? Does it come with active suspension and other ride settings?

zip106 12 November 2011 10:42 AM

Are you sure it's the car?

She might just be getting sick of you... :)

davegtt 12 November 2011 11:48 AM

Diesel cars made me feel sick when I was a kid. Now I just feel sick at the thought of only being able to afford to run a Diesel.

TonyBurns 12 November 2011 11:54 AM

She could be pregnant? :eek: (swap for an estate? ;))

Tony:D

Dingdongler 12 November 2011 12:36 PM

Thanks.

Defo not pregnant Tony!:lol1:

I was waiting for a comment like that Zip, surprised it took so long;)

Well this could be interesting then. If it continues that means the issue is either diesel fumes or the extra smooth ride. That means if I really love my wife I'll have to buy a petrol car with a harsher/sportier ride. What a shame, what a real shame..........

chocolate_o_brian 12 November 2011 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 10328456)
Thanks.

That means if I really love my wife I'll have to buy a petrol car with a harsher/sportier ride. What a shame, what a real shame..........

:lol1:

Tell you what, life's just a bitch sometimes :D

bluenosewrx 12 November 2011 03:01 PM

She needs a good hard ride obviously, lol, my missus used to get sick in my old scooby.

couldn't resist,sorry

Dingdongler 12 November 2011 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx (Post 10328646)
She needs a good hard ride obviously, lol, my missus used to get sick in my old scooby.

couldn't resist,sorry

What she needs and what she gets are two very different things:lol1:

zip106 12 November 2011 03:38 PM

Does this now mean we're going to get an endless thread on 'what car should I buy now...'?

Oh bugger....

;)

Dingdongler 12 November 2011 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 10328680)
Does this now mean we're going to get an endless thread on 'what car should I buy now...'?

Oh bugger....

;)

Oh yes, it's coming, so disconnect your broadband now!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually I'm pretty sure I know what I'd like to get

zip106 12 November 2011 04:21 PM

A 318d?

zip106 12 November 2011 04:22 PM

Alpina B5?

Jimpreza 12 November 2011 07:52 PM

Merc c63 amg coupe ;)

Brun 12 November 2011 08:14 PM

^^^^^
Winner ;)

hutton_d 12 November 2011 10:42 PM

Of course, it could be the driver making the passengers sick .....:Suspiciou :thumb:

Dave