ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Member's Gallery (https://www.scoobynet.com/members-gallery-5/)
-   -   Engine running lean (https://www.scoobynet.com/members-gallery-5/912693-engine-running-lean.html)

Mick160802 10 November 2011 05:34 PM

Engine running lean

Need some help guys and girls. Just had 1994 classic scooby mot but told engine running lean ( to much air not enough juice ) now aparantly you can't adjust a standard ecu so the options given were put on the original air box pmsl NO. Bye a better fuel pressure regulator. Now there be other solutions or someone must have had the same problems. Any help is greatly received do please help as I don't want to cook engine from inside out lol.

hixxys STI 10 November 2011 05:52 PM

i have this prob with my sti at the moment so mine is of the road, cuz like you said i dont want to cook the internals either, only way around this for me is a new ECU that way ill get the most out of my mods aswel, not a cheap option but worth it concidering, in my case the money i have spent on mods or put car back to std

IainMilford 10 November 2011 06:03 PM

if you have an induction kit fitted without being mapped in properly this can cause the engine to run lean as you are now ucking in more air, so yes fitting the original air box will remedy that, the airbox is able to handle over 350bhp so unless you're over that level it will be fine. The other answer is to get a new ecu and a remap for your mods

Mick160802 10 November 2011 06:39 PM

Thanks for the info so far, time to look on eBay for an ecu or air box I think lol

MicaDan 10 November 2011 06:42 PM

Definitely go for the airbox dude, it's the cheaper option and will at least allow you to drive the car safely for the time being. Get it checked after to confirm all is well too :thumb:.

r1c 10 November 2011 06:43 PM

How did the Mot tester come to the conclusion your car is running lean?

Mick160802 10 November 2011 06:50 PM

Lol now I don't mean to sound thick but my little one has just said if ooby is sucking in too much air why can't I limit the air by blocking the sucker a little ( his words lol ) well my dilemma is I can't give him an answer cause if you think about it he got a point lol

Tidgy 10 November 2011 06:52 PM

as above, exactly how can he tell its running lean without a dyno and plugging in?

Mick160802 10 November 2011 06:53 PM

I dont now how he came to that conclusion but he tested it ( he is a scooby owner too ) and let me know on the quiet that it was lean and to not make long journeys until sorted.

r1c 10 November 2011 06:56 PM

In that case, could you post up your emissions results. That way maybe we may be able to shed some light on it for you. Did it pass?

Mick160802 10 November 2011 07:17 PM

Yep passed and put running lean as advisory. I'll post up result as soon as I get home and as I said before thanks for all the help and info your all givingm, it is much appreciated xx