ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   Room fuse drain Killing Battery (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/912471-room-fuse-drain-killing-battery.html)

fuzzmuzz 08 November 2011 09:27 PM

Room fuse drain Killing Battery

Hi Hope ive posted in the right place.
Just bought my first Impreza is a 2002 bugeye Wrx and my problem is if i leave it for more than one day the battery is flat.
It has no tracker fitted, when the room fuse is in i have a drain of 0.28 and when you take the fuse out the drain goes everything else has been checked apart from the sigma alarm is this a common problem with these alarms.
I always drive with the sidelights on or the fan on so the charge kicks in.
Any help would be great do i need a new alarm.

fuzzmuzz 08 November 2011 09:48 PM

just been reading a few threads could my wrx have a tracker from factory and i not know about it.

fuzzmuzz 09 November 2011 02:06 PM

anyone with any input into this need the help.

JDM_Stig 09 November 2011 02:17 PM

Have you had the battery checked ?

Galifrey 09 November 2011 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 10323467)
Have you had the battery checked ?

:wonder:

JDM_Stig 09 November 2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Galifrey (Post 10323929)
:wonder:

there is always a small amount of drain if you have a car alarm or stereo fitted so it may be a poor car battery that just isnt holding charge :lol:

alcazar 09 November 2011 09:06 PM

First of all, what IS a "room fuse"? What circuits does it protect?

Secondly, and really my first check WOULD be battery, if it's dropped a cell, got bowed plates etc, it won't hold charge at all.

Decent auto electrics place will check it.

Galifrey 09 November 2011 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 10323970)
there is always a small amount of drain if you have a car alarm or stereo fitted so it may be a poor car battery that just isnt holding charge :lol:

Yes but he has measured 0.28 amp draw when the fuse is in, battery condition will not affect measured current draw.

I I would be looking at individual circuits seeing where the current is going, sure if it is just a battery going flat, a dead cell is a possibility, but a dead cell won't cause a measured draw of 0.28 amps.

So yeah lol all you like :brickwall

Galifrey 09 November 2011 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10324200)
First of all, what IS a "room fuse"? What circuits does it protect?

15amp fuse near the battery I think?

Protects Interior Room Light, Trunk Room Light, Door Lock Timer, Spot Light, Radio and I think Clock?

Dutch Scooby lover 09 November 2011 10:19 PM

Room fuse is (I believe) all interior lighting.

Is the roof light working at all, maybe there is a short there, drawing current.
Also, the boot light could be connected to this cicuit as well, does that work at all??
(My car has the boot light connected to the room fuse, but I am not sure other models have it that way as well)

Galifrey 09 November 2011 10:21 PM

Might be a dodgy boot light switch staying on all the time actually.

Edit:

Been thinking the first thing I would try is to remove boot bulb and see if the current draw is still there.

fuzzmuzz 10 November 2011 02:25 AM

The room fuse does the cabin lights, radio, heater and any security you have checked all the lights radio and heater connections all ok the drain it really large 20 to 50 is normal and I'm seeing 280 the only thing I can pin it down to maybe is the alarm system unless the previous owners had a tracker on it and not told anyone but I'll be damned if I can find it.

alcazar 10 November 2011 02:23 PM

Well I make the result to be something of 4w power..........sounds like a bulb, boot light, as suggested above?

fuzzmuzz 11 November 2011 06:26 PM

right had car into car electrics shop today that i use alot there struggling to find it they have checked all the lights but have also said its something with a 3w draw not massive but enough to kill it in a couple of days also if it was a bulb the drain would be 1 amp so has to go back in tuesday for a more detailed look this could get expensive. Does anyone know what the drain should be on a 2002 wrx.

Blob205 08 October 2020 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzmuzz (Post 10327506)
right had car into car electrics shop today that i use alot there struggling to find it they have checked all the lights but have also said its something with a 3w draw not massive but enough to kill it in a couple of days also if it was a bulb the drain would be 1 amp so has to go back in tuesday for a more detailed look this could get expensive. Does anyone know what the drain should be on a 2002 wrx.

Hey have you got your issue sorted? Im having the same issue on my 2005 wrx

Don Clark 08 October 2020 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Blob205 (Post 12090875)
Hey have you got your issue sorted? Im having the same issue on my 2005 wrx

I hope so as this thread is 9 years old and OP hasn't been on here since 2013 ;)