ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   When to fit winter tyres. (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/912388-when-to-fit-winter-tyres.html)

Frosticles 08 November 2011 10:01 AM

When to fit winter tyres.

Have a set on some new wheels ready to fit. Just keep putting it off due to the mild weather we are having at the mo.
Has anyone already fitted theirs yet? If not, when do you plan on fitting?

Rheid 08 November 2011 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Frosticles (Post 10321506)
Have a set on some new wheels ready to fit. Just keep putting it off due to the mild weather we are having at the mo.
Has anyone already fitted theirs yet? If not, when do you plan on fitting?

I'm in the same boat as you mate. Got a set of Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3Ds waiting to go on but not fitting them until the temp consistently drops below 7 deg - that's about the point when summer tyres stop working properly and winters start to come into their own.

HTH, Neil

TonyBurns 08 November 2011 11:21 AM

Probably towards the end of the month, temps should drop more by then, as long as temps are constantly below 11 deg c you should be ok running winter tyres :)

Tony:)

Frosticles 08 November 2011 12:03 PM

Damn this mild weather LOL.

arumdevil 16 November 2011 10:24 AM

well last winter I put mine on around the end of october I believe, but this year has been very mild. However I never put the summer ones back on so had the winters on all sumer and are still on now but they are about 2mm tread alround so not much good really. I have a new set which I will put on as soon as I get the 16" wheels sorted, but if I still had summer tyres on I might wait for a few weeks until the cold kicks in.

DannyM 16 November 2011 10:33 AM

Shouldn't you really drive around a bit on brand new winter tyres just to break them in, remove all the gunk they coat them with to keep them stored.

REVOLUTION 16 November 2011 10:43 AM

Hi

We have supplied (and fitted) loads of winter tyres so far, customers have been getting theirs fitted since mid October. As someone above mentioned, winter tyres come into their own when the temp drops below 7 deg.

Thanks

Keith

arumdevil 16 November 2011 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by DannyM (Post 10334563)
Shouldn't you really drive around a bit on brand new winter tyres just to break them in, remove all the gunk they coat them with to keep them stored.

that goes for any brand new tyre

trogg 16 November 2011 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by DannyM (Post 10334563)

Originally Posted by arumdevil (Post 10334584)
that goes for any brand new tyre

I found my Nokian winter tyres more noticeabley needed 'scrubbing in' than any other tyre I've had fitted over all my years of driving.

Don't know if it is more Nokian specific as I never noticed it much when I fitted Hankook winters to my van. But the Hankooks replaced crap Ling Long's etc on the van whereas the Nokians replaced Avon ZZ3's, so were a step-down whereas the Hankooks were a step-up in performance..