ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   STi UK boot catch (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/91229-sti-uk-boot-catch.html)

Numptie 27 April 2002 09:20 PM

Any other STi UK owners think their boot is strangely sprung ?

When opening via the interior catch, my boot springs open fairly harshly.

Using the key, once or twice, I've given up and used the interior catch for fear of breaking / bending the key.

cheesy 27 April 2002 11:06 PM

Yes i've found the same problem with mine and someone else who has a STi7! At the 1000 miles service I mentioned this and they said the spring was to comensate for the heavy spoiler??
I also find it a B####R to close?
CHEESY

Numptie 28 April 2002 12:05 AM

For sure, it's a bugger to close :D

When I picked up the car and the dealer was showing me around it, he did actually recommend never closing the boot with a hand on the wing :)

T5NYW 28 April 2002 07:43 AM

Yes mines the same:eek: nearly twisted the key off a few times:(
gave up and used the handle.

Neil Smalley 28 April 2002 08:10 AM

Mine's ok at the moment. But I do tend to use the Lever. Closing it is ok at the moment as well. But I do use the base of the wing/top of the boot to close rather than the aerofoil.

JohnS 28 April 2002 09:24 AM

We've all got the same "problem". I got mine adjusted for free at the 1k service and it's a lot better now. Closes easier now now.

Numptie - can compare cars tomorrow lunchtime if yours is parked next to mine again :D

John

Andy W 28 April 2002 12:55 PM

Mine sounds generally the same, but haven't noticed any bother opening with Key.

Andy

scoobyskid 28 April 2002 04:36 PM

I own a MY01 and you had to really slam it. The dealer adjusted mine at the 1K service and it now closes with a gentle shove (pre-delivery inspection?).

If you have an import and the dealer won't touch you car, I suggest you try adjusting the catch yourself - slacken the two screws and pull the catch up slightly.

HYP1C 28 April 2002 10:30 PM

Had the same problem, but got the dealer to adjust it by moving the catch up as far as it would go, and the problem was solved.
Cheers
Gary

Numptie 29 April 2002 01:08 AM

Cheers all - nice to know it's not just me :)

JohnS - I've been wondering if it might be interesting for you and I to drive each other's car sometime :) - I'll come down for a yarn sometime this week. :)

HYP1C - I presume you're the same HYP1C from the MLR forum. It's interesting that we've gone the same way (E6 -> STi UK). Hope you're enjoying the car. :)

HYP1C 29 April 2002 01:22 PM

Thats me. What do you think of yours so far.
I'm quite happy with mine now I've sorted the performance side out.
Cheers
Gary

Numptie 29 April 2002 03:08 PM

What do you think of yours so far.
In general, I like it. :)

Below 4000, it is a bit gutless and even above, nothing like my E6 :( (but hey, I didn't expect it to be).

It is a much more refined package though and that's the main attraction to me. I don't feel the need, every time I sit behind the wheel, to cane it all the time - driving home in a sedate manner is sometimes a pleasure. :cool:

Having heard John's account of driving a PPP'd one, this is definately on the cards when it's rubber stamped.

You say that you've "... sorted the performance side out ..." - please expand. http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/naughty.gif

chiark 29 April 2002 04:21 PM

Can confirm exactly the same thing with ScottishMenace's. I'd reject the car, and ask for a new one ;)

ScottishMenace 29 April 2002 05:29 PM

Beat me to it Chiark, yep got the sem problem.

ScottishMenace 29 April 2002 05:31 PM

Beat me to it Chiark, yep got the same problem.

HYP1C 29 April 2002 07:33 PM

Numptie,
Have fitted APEXi SAFC and AVR controllers with JPI Exhaust and ITG Air Filter ,so now running @ 325bhp with 1.3 bar boost.
So the STi is about on par with the Evo 6.
Cheers
Gary

HKSubaru 03 May 2002 09:29 AM

i was told that you will have to buy better springs if you have added a bigger spoiler.