ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   Rear shockers help needed (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/911932-rear-shockers-help-needed.html)

monkfish2 04 November 2011 06:10 PM

Rear shockers help needed

Hi guys,
just as I was coming home last night there was a knocking at the back of my car and was told today it the shock absorbers. I got a quote for £577 for aftermarket one from my local garage. He said he would fit them for £102 if I bought my own. Any advice on any decent or cheaper ones available ? It's a 2005 wrx. This is my 3rd set by the way. 1 week, 1 year and now 6 1/2 years, so I suppose the last set have been pretty good.
Thanks

PaulJC 04 November 2011 06:18 PM

Your local garage is ripping you off... You could probably get a full set for less than that...

monkfish2 04 November 2011 06:38 PM

Cheers PaulJC,
it did sound quite expensive. I've just spotted some on the scoobyworld website, KYB excel shock absorbers for £204. Does anybody know if these are any good ?
Thanks

Turbotits 04 November 2011 06:53 PM

You can strip the ones you have and re grease them. The knocking should then stop. Did mine around a year ago. No knocking since

bonesetter 04 November 2011 06:54 PM

Aftermarket KYB's are OK. They won't ne matched to your fronts though if those are OE. I greased my top mount to stop knocking.

monkfish2 04 November 2011 07:06 PM

I asked about re greasing them but was told it won't work as they are too worn. He's put links on the estimate, do I have to buy these seperately ?

ScoobyForLife27 04 November 2011 07:10 PM

Hi. Try www.Camskill.co.uk
I bought a set of 4 for my Classic - £250 Delivered :-) Standard replacement Kayaba Excel-G

ScoobyForLife27 04 November 2011 07:14 PM

Always replace shocks in pairs.

pigSTi 04 November 2011 07:18 PM

What you need to do is put a couple of washers between the top of the shock and the top mount. This will stop the knocking.

bonesetter 04 November 2011 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by pigSTi (Post 10315215)
What you need to do is put a couple of washers between the top of the shock and the top mount. This will stop the knocking.

This sounds good advice, as it's not the damper that's knack'd, it's the top mount wear

bonesetter 04 November 2011 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyForLife27 (Post 10315195)
Hi. Try www.Camskill.co.uk
I bought a set of 4 for my Classic - £250 Delivered :-) Standard replacement Kayaba Excel-G

Those aren't OE. Made by the same people, but not the same

pigSTi 04 November 2011 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by bonesetter (Post 10315333)
This sounds good advice, as it's not the damper that's knack'd, it's the top mount wear

Yep, I had mine stripped and regreased - the grease in them was pretty dried up - but then a different knock started (probably from disturbing the top mounts) and I had the spacers fitted (which is what Subaru now do, or so I hear) and the knock was cured. No more knock since :thumb:

Fit spacers guys - your shocks are fine

wilbo 04 November 2011 08:50 PM

If you are on the 3rd set, wouldnt it make more sense to just buy coilovers? Would be cheaper in the long run

speedking 04 November 2011 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyForLife27 (Post 10315209)
Always replace shocks in pairs.

Unless you're a Subaru dealer and the shocks are under warranty :rolleyes:

monkfish2 04 November 2011 10:58 PM

Sorry guys, been out for a fireworks display. Might be worth going to another garage to ask about de-greasing, or the spacer advice. Any advice on the links ?

kewe 04 November 2011 11:19 PM

I've had a knocking rear passenger shock since I got my WRX nearly a year ago.

As well as knocking it was leaking badly so decided to replace it for MOT this week.

Got the KYB Excel G from Dingbros and it's now perfect. £114 for the Shock and £40 to get it fitted. Think Camskill are slightly cheaper. Also seemed to be getting quoted 1hr labour for fitting.

Car is now silent and goes round corners much better!

monkfish2 04 November 2011 11:33 PM

the post has been moved, where,why ?

kewe 04 November 2011 11:40 PM

Suspension area mate

monkfish2 04 November 2011 11:42 PM

Ha ha, never knew this area existed, only ever used general.

pigSTi 05 November 2011 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by monkfish2 (Post 10315778)
Ha ha, never knew this area existed, only ever used general.

Shocking...

Wonkey85 05 November 2011 01:42 AM

Sorry I be commenting on someone else's thread. My51 bugeye wrx's shock are going on the rear there not knocking. But I've got a lot of bounce. I don't want to replace just te pair because in the new year it'll be getting a complete new kit. The question I've got is. Wouk re greasing work on mine??

pigSTi 05 November 2011 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Wonkey85 (Post 10315923)
Sorry I be commenting on someone else's thread. My51 bugeye wrx's shock are going on the rear there not knocking. But I've got a lot of bounce. I don't want to replace just te pair because in the new year it'll be getting a complete new kit. The question I've got is. Wouk re greasing work on mine??

If they are bouncing mate, I would think your damping is the problem and that probably means new shocks - greasing and spacers wont help bouncing. Try Google and see what you can dig up.

NOSSY_89 05 November 2011 01:13 PM

THats way to expensive I replaced my rear 1s on my classis and that was £120 including labour. Have a look on ebay. Its not hard to change the shock yourself but I just didn't have the time to do it.

But if he is charging you that much then you might as well buy BC suspension from Scooby world. They have gone down in price.

william lam 22 November 2011 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Turbotits (Post 10315162)
You can strip the ones you have and re grease them. The knocking should then stop. Did mine around a year ago. No knocking since

Is this easy to do.... Any diy guide?:Whatever_

SRSport 25 November 2011 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 10315685)
Unless you're a Subaru dealer and the shocks are under warranty :rolleyes:

Thats whats happened to me. Why is it so important to replace them in pairs if the dealers are happy to do them singularly?

bonesetter 26 November 2011 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by SRSport (Post 10350709)
Thats whats happened to me. Why is it so important to replace them in pairs if the dealers are happy to do them singularly?

Dealers, as everyone else should replace both to ensure matching. Same 'axle' I would have thought bieng more important to F&R. Bit like fitting one brand new different brand tyre

SRSport 26 November 2011 08:40 AM

But why? I know thats what people say but haven't read anywhere that says why. Do they wear over time and therefore give uneven performance? How important is it for non performance cars such as my Merc B class where I dont hurl it around every corner?

bonesetter 27 November 2011 09:27 AM

Well, put it this way, my old faithful wagon (95K miles) had one rear go down, so I bought two. Wouldn't have wanted to replace one only with those miles on the other

SRSport 27 November 2011 01:47 PM

You didnt really put it any way just said what you did. I read a lot of this but everyone seems to do it because everyone else seems to do it. I am perfectly happy to except that this is what you need to do as everyone says the same thing but I would like to know why, incase this has become little more than a wives tale.

Put it this way, the Mercedes dealer told me that it wasn't necessary to fit two and considering they are turning down business would suggest that this would be the case.