ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Insurance (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/)
-   -   Insured an sti or wrx as a GL? (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/911742-insured-an-sti-or-wrx-as-a-gl.html)

Imy877 03 November 2011 12:22 AM

Insured an sti or wrx as a GL?

There is a relatively local lunatic in a Subaru, I know for a fact the car is an STi with mods, it's annoyingly loud and usually being driven like it's been stolen. A quick search on Askmid shows that it's insured as a GL, also It's listed as a GL import with dvla.

Which authority or organisation will be interested in doing something about it? Technically it's being rallied around uninsured.

Next time I see it being rallied around, I'm tempted to have words as it's dangerous for everyone around.

If there is anyone on here that can help get it off the road that would be very much appreciated.

PaulJC 03 November 2011 07:49 AM

About the only thing you can actually do that would have any effect is report if for anti social behaviour.

There is also a big difference between what you 'know' and is true/can be proved ;)

skyinsurance 03 November 2011 10:48 AM

It could be insured correctly, it could just be down to the DVLA having it registered incorrectly.

sonicvr6 03 November 2011 11:38 AM

your not in leigh are you mate ?

sonicvr6 03 November 2011 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by skyinsurance (Post 10312736)
It could be insured correctly, it could just be down to the DVLA having it registered incorrectly.

mine says gl on the log book had to call my insurer as on trade insurance and tell them that even though it comes up as a gl it's a modded sti with big power they just said fine your still covered we've made a note then they sent me a letter to say that am insured to drive the car and any other but they will only pay out the price for what the logbook says

skyinsurance 03 November 2011 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by sonicvr6 (Post 10312796)
but they will only pay out the price for what the logbook says

And there lies the problem with trade cover in most cases!

Imy877 03 November 2011 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by sonicvr6 (Post 10312796)
mine says gl on the log book had to call my insurer as on trade insurance and tell them that even though it comes up as a gl it's a modded sti with big power they just said fine your still covered we've made a note then they sent me a letter to say that am insured to drive the car and any other but they will only pay out the price for what the logbook says

No mate, no where near Leigh. And it's not you lol.

What does your car come up as on askmid.com? His should come up as whatever he has told the insurance, not necessarily what it's registered as with dvla. So if he has told his insurance it's an STI, the insurance should have update MID records with sti. They don't care too much about what it's registered as with dvla.

sonicvr6 03 November 2011 12:27 PM

comes up as gl will come up as whatever has been put on the logbook have a worrd with your local bobby and tell him what you know p.s. i try and drive mine nicely but i do abuse it some time's :P but cant right now as heaps of new roza's about even a 450bhp classic that the nice man took me out in

skyinsurance 03 November 2011 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Imy877 (Post 10312868)
NHis should come up as whatever he has told the insurance, not necessarily what it's registered as with dvla.

That isn't correct, a lot of cars, especially imports will not have an ABI code so insurers will be unable to actually record them correctly on the database.. that doesn't mean they are not insured correctly.

Ollie
Sky Insurance

Rescue Dude 03 November 2011 01:06 PM

My STi is an LX according to the log book but is insured correctly as an STi and is on the MID as such.

Imy877 03 November 2011 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude (Post 10312943)
My STi is an LX according to the log book but is insured correctly as an STi and is on the MID as such.

Thanks, this is exactly my understanding of how it works; insurance can overide the details they get from DVLA, they can basically enter free text under the car description. So if it's been imported as an LX etc, it's upto the insured to tell the insurance it's actually an STi, and that's what will show up on a MID lookup (if done correctly).

I'm going to get in touch with my local police to report anti social etc. I normally have a "live and let live" attitude to these sorts of things but this guy is a danger to other road users :nono:

Moley 03 November 2011 08:24 PM

I was under the impression that Askmid list the car as whatever we insure it as.

TinyTim 03 November 2011 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Imy877 (Post 10313334)
Thanks, this is exactly my understanding of how it works; insurance can overide the details they get from DVLA, they can basically enter free text under the car description. So if it's been imported as an LX etc, it's upto the insured to tell the insurance it's actually an STi, and that's what will show up on a MID lookup (if done correctly).

I'm going to get in touch with my local police to report anti social etc. I normally have a "live and let live" attitude to these sorts of things but this guy is a danger to other road users :nono:

I see two issues... driving like a bellend AND possible insurance 'fraud'... either way, dont feel bad about dobbing him in, who knows, it may bring your renewal price down :lol1:

NOSSY_89 04 November 2011 01:16 AM

But how do u know its not a gl. Trust me with a stupid exhaust it looks fast even when its standing still lamooo. Or he could just be thraping the F**K out of it redlining it 2 the max.

sonicvr6 04 November 2011 01:21 AM

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...5092011523.jpg
says gl on this cars logbook

TonyBurns 05 November 2011 08:17 PM

Its the importers being dodgy when its down as GL ;):( you can just change it by sending it back to dvla and they will re issue the V5C.

Tony:)

rossyboy 05 November 2011 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 10317009)
Its the importers being dodgy when its down as GL ;):( you can just change it by sending it back to dvla and they will re issue the V5C.

Tony:)

I'm not sure it is the importers, as I dont think they would gain anything from registering them as GLs?

Mine was imported in 2003 and back then, I would doubt that the DVLA would recognise a WRX as a model of the Impreza made in 1993.

sonicvr6 05 November 2011 10:13 PM

dont know the one i got 2day just says Subaru on the logbook

Caged "R" 06 November 2011 09:06 AM

When our integrales are imported none of them actually say Evo, just Lancia 5 door.
Never had a problem with a recent claim on our trade policy.

wrxolly 08 December 2011 07:59 PM

SURELY IF YOU INVOLED IN A ACCIDENT AND THE INSURANCE COMPANY COME LOOK AT THE CAR AND YOU'VE INSURED IT AS A GL AND ITS WRX OR STI THEY'D JUST THROW THE BOOK AT YOU???