ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   If your friend wasn't really a friend at all...? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/911401-if-your-friend-wasnt-really-a-friend-at-all.html)

Hysteria1983 31 October 2011 04:19 PM

If your friend wasn't really a friend at all...?

Could you write the 'friend' off and just carry on?

Backround info - I told my friend I was having a family only wedding. 24 people, all immediate family and no friends.
The reason being that the intimate room we have picked only has 26 seats, and I don't feel I can pick just two friends.
I am not going any bigger as I don't want it any other way.

So, comments from the friend like "you know who your friends are" and "that's why you ignored me" as well as other general rants.

I must have though for a second that it was my wedding!

The Zohan 31 October 2011 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983 (Post 10308271)
Could you write the 'friend' off and just carry on?

Backround info - I told my friend I was having a family only wedding. 24 people, all immediate family and no friends.
The reason being that the intimate room we have picked only has 26 seats, and I don't feel I can pick just two friends.
I am not going any bigger as I don't want it any other way.

So, comments from the friend like "you know who your friends are" and "that's why you ignored me" as well as other general rants.

I must have though for a second that it was my wedding!

A 'real friend' would take it at face value and be happy for you. I am sure they are invited to the reception so what is the problem, there isn't one. They need to grow up and remember who's day it is!:).

Snazy 31 October 2011 04:24 PM

If the person shows they play no important role in my life, they can quite easily be forgotten.
On the flip side a close friend would also feel they wanted to share a special day with you, so I would forget initial reactions from them. We are all different.

Hysteria1983 31 October 2011 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Snazy (Post 10308282)
If the person shows they play no important role in my life, they can quite easily be forgotten.
On the flip side a close friend would also feel they wanted to share a special day with you, so I would forget initial reactions from them. We are all different.

I have only known her for about a year. We are close, abd have clicked but she is just so full on!

I'm not used to having female friends. I had one once... I didn't turn out well!

I'm just shocked at her behaviour really. It's more than her being upset, she genuinely thinks I am scheming and plotting about the wedding behind her back, whereas really it's nothing to do with her, and her reaction has confirmed what she is like.

fitzscoob 31 October 2011 05:11 PM

Forget her and move on, let her worry about it.

At the end of the day its your wedding, if she cant handle not being invited even though there is a good reason then you shouldnt waste your time feeling bad about it.

A friend of mine wanted to know why I dont speak with him any more even though the last conversation we had was "if you were not my friend I'd have stuck my bottle in your neck" (him to me after a heated discussion which was his fault). After I explained to him that I have enough mates and dont need to hang around with people like him, he still didnt get it.

Enjoy your wedding, the way you want it.

EddScott 31 October 2011 05:35 PM

Proper friend would think "thank f*ck she doesn't insist I have to go" :)

95% of people really CBA to go to mates weddings anyway. BUT these are the same people that if you were penniless and they only had a £10 to their name they would split it.

If you get me.

wilbo 31 October 2011 05:41 PM

I can relate to this as my girlfriends sister recently got married and the gf was brides maid. They did it in a registry office and due to space constraints and a big family, they decided that aunts / uncles would be invited to the day and the rest of the family would all be invited to the evening activities. Most of the cousins have children themselves so no way they would have got in the registry office. Anyways, in the end most of them didnt attend any of the wedding and actually organised an 18th birthday party on the same day so that family were torn between the 2 putting people in an awkward position. My gf's immediate family have not spoke to them since and i imagine it will be a while.

Bit of a rant, but totally agree that people should not get annoyed at you. You have to make decisions and if you can only fit 2 friends in, then agree that it is fairest to just have none.

Hysteria1983 31 October 2011 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 10308384)
Proper friend would think "thank f*ck she doesn't insist I have to go" :)

95% of people really CBA to go to mates weddings anyway. BUT these are the same people that if you were penniless and they only had a £10 to their name they would split it.

If you get me.

Yes, I get you.

I suppose if we invited other friends then I could be a bit more sympathetic. But there are no bridesmaids, no best man, nobody to give me away so it really is just in and out.

The way she makes it about her is typical of everything to do with her.

I want my scooby back, and my boy mates!!

CREWJ 31 October 2011 05:44 PM

Is it just me or does this all sound a lot like female bitchiness?

Hysteria1983 31 October 2011 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by wilbo (Post 10308395)
I can relate to this as my girlfriends sister recently got married and the gf was brides maid. They did it in a registry office and due to space constraints and a big family, they decided that aunts / uncles would be invited to the day and the rest of the family would all be invited to the evening activities. Most of the cousins have children themselves so no way they would have got in the registry office. Anyways, in the end most of them didnt attend any of the wedding and actually organised an 18th birthday party on the same day so that family were torn between the 2 putting people in an awkward position. My gf's immediate family have not spoke to them since and i imagine it will be a while.

Bit of a rant, but totally agree that people should not get annoyed at you. You have to make decisions and if you can only fit 2 friends in, then agree that it is fairest to just have none.

Thanks wilba!

She can't seem to see things that way. Also, the fact of the matter is I have really good friends who I put way in front of her, so I thought it best to leave it at family.

the hamster 31 October 2011 05:58 PM

Been in this exact situation when I got married, 44 seats, 2 families etc etc.

Basically, I had comments like you've had from certain people and I just said "well at least you'll have the day spare to think about yourself rather than others" and walked away. I did it twice to people I class as close friends and eventually they came crawling when other people put them in their place.

Nothing was going to spoil my day and I made sure of that.

Strange thing is, not 1 person I invited to the wedding turned up to the divorce :D

Coffin Dodger 31 October 2011 05:58 PM

Sounds a familiar story, the friend of my wife who was responsible for her profile getting put on mysinglefriend.com that ultimately led to us meeting is now no longer a friend.

We'd both admit that her and her husband wouldn't have been our first choice of friends and it was all a bit one-way a lot of the time. However as they were close by we'd see each other for dinner every few weeks though we tried to get it down to monthly, went camping with them too and spent the odd weekend together.

So as our wedding day neared she missed the wife's hen party claiming she'd got the dates mixed up or some such. This was followed up with a delivery of flowers/chocs/wine etc. + a grovelling card saying how sorry she was to have missed it.

The wedding itself sounds similar due to the fact we wanted to keep it simple and intimate so it was planned as a registry office job with parents, brothers and sisters, nobody else. Meal in a nice restaurant after followed by a big party in the evening to which we invited everybody. They never turned up to the party. I'd specifically mentioned them in my speech too. Got home to find an answering machine message with her husband first saying he had "swine flu" and was so sorry he couldn't make it, followed by her apologising that she had to stay and look after him. Even if it was genuine she could have come for an hour or two on her own. She knew other people there.

We made no effort to contact them after that. Many weeks later her and the missus agreed to meet up at a neutral venue (pub) to try and reconcile things. The wife said she was very tearful and apologetic for being so sh*t. So we agreed to go over to theirs for dinner and it was like nothing had ever happened, normal service resumed, no mention of the wedding, asking to see photos, how was the honeymoon etc. just all about her as usual.

Very little contact after that and we haven't seen them since..... :D

EddScott 31 October 2011 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by CREWJ (Post 10308404)
Is it just me or does this all sound a lot like female bitchiness?

Don't search for amsuing Bitch Fight pics on google with safe search turned off - at least not in work anyway :o

Saxo Boy 31 October 2011 06:53 PM

Rule 1 of having a wedding: YOU WILL P*SS SOMEONE OFF.

Simply put, you can't win.....

TinyTim 31 October 2011 07:07 PM

OP, I can tell from your original post that your friend is fat/ugly. Don't be angry with her, pity her... she's probably cries herself to sleep at night with jealousy.

ditchmyster 31 October 2011 07:09 PM

I would not worry, i fell out with one of my sisters over my wedding and that was 12yrs ago, not spoken to her since and never plan to, she's a poisonous cow and it's always about her and she will never change.

Feel free to apply my method of dealing with people like this to your not quite as good as you first thought friend.:thumb:

My way or the highway :D

Funkii Munkii 31 October 2011 07:19 PM

26 seats you say ?

You'll never fill it, invite her :thumb:

Hysteria1983 31 October 2011 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 10308559)
26 seats you say ?

You'll never fill it, invite her :thumb:

24 of them are filled by family members. One of my brothers has 5 children.

David Lock 31 October 2011 07:43 PM

Tell her you have only invited close friends. That should do the trick :)

DYK 31 October 2011 07:52 PM

Just tell her its a family wedding only,or at least the wedding part is and be done with it.If she can't accept that then tough doo doo.

sprigeteer 31 October 2011 07:56 PM

I did the same mate - 26 came to mine too. It's your day and if any one has the nerve to give you grief then they are not worth your time. Isn't sad how self-centred some people can be? You'd hope a friend would simply be glad you've found someone. Conclusion: she is not a friend. Or she is damaged in some way. Either way, good luck and if she has a problem; crack on without her.

Hysteria1983 31 October 2011 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by DYK (Post 10308599)
Just tell her its a family wedding only,or at least the wedding part is and be done with it.If she can't accept that then tough doo doo.

That's what I told her.

She invited me over today, while a friend of hers was there. I was then asked to tell them both about the wedding and how she wasn't invited.

As you can imagine, I wasn't too impressed.

RobsyUK 31 October 2011 08:34 PM

She is probably jelous... But a true friend would see that no other friend was picked over them...
She fit?

Lee247 01 November 2011 01:40 AM

K, take no notice. Weddings, Christenings and Funerals. Someone always gets the hump.
You do it your way, it's your day and no one else matters. Hope you have a lovely time x :)

DYK 01 November 2011 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983 (Post 10308659)
That's what I told her.

She invited me over today, while a friend of hers was there. I was then asked to tell them both about the wedding and how she wasn't invited.

As you can imagine, I wasn't too impressed.

Sounds like she trying to make you feel guilty in front of another mate of hers..
Just say look you FRIEND...FRIEND not FAMILY,FAMILY invite ONLY catch my Drift.Now Bog off.. ;)

mgcvk 01 November 2011 09:05 AM

She sounds a bit thick if she can't understand a small family wedding is for family only

pimmo2000 01 November 2011 09:10 AM

I'm still invited though yeah ?

r32 01 November 2011 10:18 AM

If they really were your friends and you valued their friendship and it was important to you, then you would take them out for a meal or something to celebrate at some time after the wedding.

Hysteria1983 01 November 2011 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 10309427)
I'm still invited though yeah ?

Keep it on the down low Pimmo ;)

Hysteria1983 01 November 2011 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by r32 (Post 10309504)
If they really were your friends and you valued their friendship and it was important to you, then you would take them out for a meal or something to celebrate at some time after the wedding.

This was the original plan. A meal for friends thecweekend after the wedding, but given the behavour, I don't think I will go to the trouble. The others have already invited us to theirs to celebrate anyway.